Galaxy Tab 10.1 USB DAC Compatibility List
Oct 6, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I got myself an SGT 10.1 some time ago and I put some music onto it to check how it works as a music player. To be honest I was disappointed. It does not seem that it is a good source - not compared to my Sony X Series. 

At home I have a DACPort, but I will not be there until November to check if it works.

It would be great, if all SGT 10.1 owners could try their DACs with their DACs and report the results here so we know what works and what does not work.

P.S. You need to have the USB adapter to do what I am talking about.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 19
I don't think you could connect it to a DAC in the same way that you can connect an iPod/iPhone to a CLAS or HP-P1, since there's no USB LOD for Samsung. That's what I've been looking for but without any success, because I'm very very disappointed with the sound quality of my SGSII.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I don't think you could connect it to a DAC in the same way that you can connect an iPod/iPhone to a CLAS or HP-P1, since there's no USB LOD for Samsung. That's what I've been looking for but without any success, because I'm very very disappointed with the sound quality of my SGSII.

You are forgetting about the fact that I am talking about USB DACs. SGT>USB adapter>USB cable>DAC.

No need for any LODs.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 19
No dude, you're the one that doesn't understand and doesn't know what I'm telling you.

We're talking about the same thing: you want to use an external DAC instead of the internal one, and that's what the AlgoRythm Solo and the HP-P1 provides. For that you will need an USB line out, because in other case the tablet will enter the mass storage mode and you won't be able to use it while playing music.

That's the solution I've been looking for since I bought the SGSII back in June, but I give up and will end with a high-end player instead, just because Samsung doesn't care about sound quality in its smartphones and tablets.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
No dude, you're the one that doesn't understand and doesn't know what I'm telling you.

We're talking about the same thing: you want to use an external DAC instead of the internal one, and that's what the AlgoRythm Solo and the HP-P1 provides. For that you will need an USB line out, because in other case the tablet will enter the mass storage mode and you won't be able to use it while playing music.

That's the solution I've been looking for since I bought the SGSII back in June, but I give up and will end with a high-end player instead, just because Samsung doesn't care about sound quality in its smartphones and tablets.

Why would a USB DAC be recognized as a storage device? It will either be recognized as a DAC or not recognized at all.

As this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad suggests people use USB DACs with iPad and its camera connection kit, which seems is not a line out, but a USB socket. Correct me if I am wrong.

P.S. I am not your DUDE.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Why would a USB DAC be recognized as a storage device? It will either be recognized as a DAC or not recognized at all.

As this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad suggests people use USB DACs with iPad and its camera connection kit, which seems is not a line out, but a USB socket. Correct me if I am wrong.

P.S. I am not your DUDE.

You are wrong. That's not a mere USB cable, it's a USB dock cable or line out that allows you to play the music storaged in the Apple devices with an external dac instead of the internal one. That's what the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo and Fostex HP-P1 do.

If you use your Tab with a mere USB cable it will not recognize the DAC. If you use the USB OTG the DAC will be useless because it's not a storage device. If you use the MHL will not be valid because its function is the TV out with USB-HDMI adapter, but does not separate the audio from the video.

I will tell you in an easier way: you want a DAC, get an iPad and the CLAS or the HP-P1.

P.S.: be benevolent with this humble citizen, Your Royal Highness.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
You are wrong. That's not a mere USB cable, it's a USB dock cable or line out that allows you to play the music storaged in the Apple devices with an external dac instead of the internal one. That's what the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo and Fostex HP-P1 do.

If you use your Tab with a mere USB cable it will not recognize the DAC. If you use the USB OTG the DAC will be useless because it's not a storage device. If you use the MHL will not be valid because its function is the TV out with USB-HDMI adapter, but does not separate the audio from the video.

I will tell you in an easier way: you want a DAC, get an iPad and the CLAS or the HP-P1.

P.S.: be benevolent with this humble citizen, Your Royal Highness.

You keep talking about Algorythm Solo and HP-P1. THese are not USB DACs but LOD DACs only for Apple product. If you check the link I posted you will notice that people use other DACs with iPad, not only the two you mentioned.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 19
To play music from your iPad/iPad2, just put a camera connection kit in between it and USB DAC. You don't need a CLAS/Fostex for this.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
To play music from your iPad/iPad2, just put a camera connection kit in between it and USB DAC. You don't need a CLAS/Fostex for this.

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to explain and ask other SGT users - whether they have been successful at doing this. If no one can try, I will have to wait until November and try my DACPort with a dual USB cable for power and output from SGT.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 19
You'll have to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich, honeycomb currently doesn't support usb audio/dacs.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 19
The SGSII and the SGT10.1 do have indeed USB OTG, they simply need the specific accesory to connect a hard drive to them.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 19
FWIW I tried connecting a SGS2 using the USB OTG cable to a few DACs (Centrance DACPort, RSA Predator, Lavry DA11) - no joy :frowning2: Will try again if it gets an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back