Galaxy SII - which IEMs ?
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #46 of 70
Another thing I forgot to mention, I noticed a sigificant jump in volume from max volume to the next notch down....far larger than at any other point.  This is why it is important to max out the global volume.  I did mention it on the Poweramp forum as I thought this may be a bug and wasn't present in pre v2 releases.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #47 of 70

Quote:
Another thing I forgot to mention, I noticed a sigificant jump in volume from max volume to the next notch down....far larger than at any other point.  This is why it is important to max out the global volume.  I did mention it on the Poweramp forum as I thought this may be a bug and wasn't present in pre v2 releases.

I notice this as well in regard to max volume versus the notch below max. Any chance you can upload screen shots of your PowerAmp settings so I can compare?

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #48 of 70

Quote:

Interesting, certainly not my experience but you are not alone.  Over at XDA we were looking at implementing a hardware mod to increase output however we got rather stuck as there is no datasheet for the Yamaha chip.  People kept going on and on about the Yamaha DAC being the culprit but as I stated many times the DAC is only part of the circuit....it can be numerous factors. A Wolfson in a bad design will sound no better.  I had guesstimated it being the Opamp but it actually turned out a headphone amp is built into the Yamaha chip.

I think the reason why many people kept going on and on the Yamaha DAC is because there wasn't a way to improve it while the Wolfson can be 'saved'? 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #49 of 70
Hi All,

I'm using the FiiO E6 with Westones 3's. I have tried different MP3 setting and FLAC and compared to an IPod Touch 2nd gen.

So the GS2 wins over the IPod :wink:  

I used 320 MP3 and the Neutron player and the sound is better than my old HTC HD2.

Flac sounds better than MP3

Could not hear any difference between compressing with Real Player and EAC+LAME - may be this is down to the on board DAC

Has anyone hooked up the FiiO E7 to the usb port on the GS2 to by pass the Yamaha DAC? Can this be done?

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #50 of 70

Quote:

Has anyone hooked up the FiiO E7 to the usb port on the GS2 to by pass the Yamaha DAC? Can this be done?

Not yet.  There was much speculation that it would be included in ICS, but it hasn't been implimented on the Galaxy Nexus.  There is a Google petition regarding this issue.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 70
Icecream sandwich is out next month for GS2, hope this has digital audio out via usb. Do anyone know more about this?

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #52 of 70
There is nothing definite yet, the fact that galaxy nexus didn't I would suggest not.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #54 of 70

Quote:
So in short, by buying an earphone/headphone, anyone who owns a Galaxy SII  should not expect any noticeable improvement in the sound quality when listening through it ?

IMO, yes. I wouldn't waste time with an SGSII if sound quality is important. It's a great phone in every other regard.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #55 of 70

Quote:

IMO, yes. I wouldn't waste time with an SGSII if sound quality is important. It's a great phone in every other regard.

What are you basing this on?  Lol, yes every headphone sounds exactly the same through the SG2, the Yamaha DAC is pure evil, instead of converting '0' & '1''s into a voltage it turns them all into '6''s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #56 of 70

Quote:
Icecream sandwich is out next month for GS2, hope this has digital audio out via usb. Do anyone know more about this?

USB Audio test is ongoing by using a modded kernel:

"It seems usbaudio.c is now broken down into 3 separate source files in newer kernels, card.c included. Do a search on xda for usbaudio.c
and it should list those files. I have it currently enabled in my test build. If you can go to the hyperdroid iirc and introduce yourself so I know you're the one who wants to test this."
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22265282&postcount=9844

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 70

Quote:
What are you basing this on?  Lol, yes every headphone sounds exactly the same through the SG2, the Yamaha DAC is pure evil, instead of converting '0' & '1''s into a voltage it turns them all into '6''s.

Are you saying that that a DAC has no impact on sound quality?

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #58 of 70
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/13

Quote:
Demanding enthusiasts expected As music player Galaxy S II to sound at least as good as its Apple competitor: iPhone 4 and supersede its older brother Galaxy S performance.
Unfortunately, it fails at both.
As music player, Galaxy S II performance can be described as:
  1. Average for a smartphone.
  2. Below average for a high end smartphone.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #59 of 70

Quote:
Are you saying that that a DAC has no impact on sound quality?

No I'm not, I'm saying as I've said many other times that there are more factors than just the DAC.  People keep bleating on and on about just one aspect of the design when there are other (more likely) factors.  I just don't like the idea of a chip getting a bad name when the facts are a little unsubstantiated.

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/13

Yes I've seen this...this is supercurio from XDA.  What he is measuring is a cumulative effect of the entire design and makes a few assumptions.  He also stated many times at XDA that nothing could be done with software and this is why he would not bother coding for it.  Well I'm telling you the difference in SQ and most notably volume from Poweramp v1 - v2 was very very noticeable.  I'm not poo pooing supercurio or his work, but there are other factors.  Admittedly I'm not a software guy, I'm a hardware guy.  Anyway I give in, queue up for the next Iphone
wink_face.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #60 of 70
If you follow the link above and play the soundcloud file....does anyone here experience this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back