galaxy s5 vs sony z2 in audio capabilities?
May 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #46 of 76
Colors are good enough with the various options for me, I watch videos more than view photos on the S5 so I value the response rate, pure blacks and contrast most.  The iPhone 5s display make look good on numbers since it is only 4" so things such as brightness, uniformity etc are easy to achieve with a smaller, lower res display.  Compare apples to apples (ahem), compare at least same resolution screens.  I don't believe the S5 green is so bad as to make 70% appear 100%.  Switch modes if you don't enjoy the saturated colors.
LCD is inherently flawed with low response rates, low contrast and blacks that can never be totally black.  OLED solves those issues directly and the color accuracy is not the best since Samsung insists on colors that pop more since it wows the consumers.  I'm never going to be doing any Adobe photoshopping on my S5 so if the colors can be adjusted on the fly I'm happy.  You can similarly argue against LCDs for color accuracy when blacks are not true blacks and white is not pure white as well.

May 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #47 of 76
i never mentioned the resolution, but the Panel quality. The Display resolution has nothing to do with this arguments.

Btw, Cinema Mode is still over saturated on Galaxy S5.

Well, on LCDs the black isnt pure black, just as White on Amoleds just is not White :wink:

And that has nothing to do with Photoshoping. Its just a standart you want for yourself. i dont need wrong colors on my Screen, and that doesnt matter if im Gaming, reading or watching pictures/videos.

Vor example, the Galaxy S5 will NEVER show you how truely your pictures look like, you have just shot with its camera. Maybe you adjust the settings so it looks correct on the S5, then you copy it on your PC, and the colors look wrong.

Like i said.. If you like it, fine. But its neither accurtate (Display mate claimed it IS, and thats a lie. Even the Cinema Mode is NOT accurate)), nor its the best Display on the market when there are a bunch of things, that this Display is doing objectively wrong/worse than others (and my link prooves, that the iPhone display panel IS better overall, when not ignoring some specs)
And only THIS is my whole point against these "the Galaxy S5 has the best display on the market" posts.

May 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #50 of 76
Heh, sorry you're right, got side tracked.  I have the S5 and HTC One M8 only, the Z2 won't arrive here until next week but I wasn't impressed with HO on either of them.  Seems mobile phone makers won't bother putting separate dacs on Qualcomm phones so they all use the integrated dacs which means you are just comparing amps.  If I had to pick between the S5 and the HTC M8 I would choose the HTC for it's better amp.  However I haven't really found any outstanding mobile phones as daps.  Even those with Wolfson dacs sound worse than standalone daps.
I have the old iPhone 5 as well and it's ok as a dap with sensitive iems, lower noise floor, quite clear.  I just feel I lose too much details with the Qualcomm phones to enjoy my music much.

May 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #51 of 76
  Heh, sorry you're right, got side tracked.  I have the S5 and HTC One M8 only, the Z2 won't arrive here until next week but I wasn't impressed with HO on either of them.  Seems mobile phone makers won't bother putting separate dacs on Qualcomm phones so they all use the integrated dacs which means you are just comparing amps.  If I had to pick between the S5 and the HTC M8 I would choose the HTC for it's better amp.  However I haven't really found any outstanding mobile phones as daps.  Even those with Wolfson dacs sound worse than standalone daps.
I have the old iPhone 5 as well and it's ok as a dap with sensitive iems, lower noise floor, quite clear.  I just feel I lose too much details with the Qualcomm phones to enjoy my music much.

Yeah, i'm trying to ditch apple stuff but am addicted to the super black noise floor on my iPhone 4s. All these fancy android phones look amazing but sound quite bad. :frowning2:

May 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #53 of 76
I've given up hope of getting good music from an android phone.  They work great as video players though.  Love the HTC M8 stereo speakers, nice n loud for movies etc.

May 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #54 of 76
I've given up hope of getting good music from an android phone.  They work great as video players though.  Love the HTC M8 stereo speakers, nice n loud for movies etc.

I assume you have rooted and installed custom roms and dsp before giving up? You must be one fussy ocd bugger if you still had no joy mate.

May 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #55 of 76

I'm not sure what the hiss i hear on androids comes from. I've always assumed its from the Qualcomm SOC implementations. However, for example, the nexus 4 although measured poor has the least audible hiss I could hear on an android device to date. I've heard the M8, owned the M7 and Galaxy S3, all had a dreadful background hiss. I swear i can hear the internal amplifier activating on those devices. 

The hiss is heard with sensitive IEMs, for those of you that cannot hear it....... i'm very jealous. I hate itunes so much.

May 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #56 of 76
I assume you have rooted and installed custom roms and dsp before giving up? You must be one fussy ocd bugger if you still had no joy mate.

Not rooted on current hardware, Samsung has hardware counter to detect this and can bar warranty.  HTC requires s off which means registering on their site.  I'll root after the one year warranty.  Point is I should get the performance I want out of the box, I shouldn't need to hack my devices in the hope if better performance.  I had root on my S3 and S4, voodoo etc makes a difference but doesn't come close to the sound of a standalone dap like the DX90/100 or AK240.  I also notice odd pop noises when I use the phones with music playing which distracts me.  If the phone has low reception I van hear it literally sweeping all bands for reception.

May 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #57 of 76
  Not rooted on current hardware, Samsung has hardware counter to detect this and can bar warranty.  HTC requires s off which means registering on their site.  I'll root after the one year warranty.  Point is I should get the performance I want out of the box, I should need to hack my devices in the hope if better performance.  I had root on my S3 and S4, voodoo etc makes a difference but doesn't come close to the sound of a standalone dap like the DX90/100 or AK240.  I also notice odd pop noises when I use the phones with music playing which distracts me.  If the phone has low reception I van hear it literally sweeping all bands for reception.

Those "hacks" don't work. I've tried them. You cant fix a poor hardware implementation. Where the problems lay.. I don't know.
The M8 has a horrible 8ohm output impedance... completely messing up the response of IEMs.

May 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #58 of 76
  Those "hacks" don't work. I've tried them. You cant fix a poor hardware implementation. Where the problems lay.. I don't know.
The M8 has a horrible 8ohm output impedance... completely messing up the response of IEMs.

I am using UE 900 on my One m8, and i can not hear any mess up with the frequency response, compared to my previous 2 - 3,45 Ohm Galaxy S3. I have absolutely ZERO complains there.
Even if some frequency are lowered/raised by 1-2 dB due to 8-9 Ohm output impedance, tbh.. noone will notice that really, thats such a minimal change. Thats totally overreacted here, tbh.

And in fact, the Frequency response on my 10~ Ohm Asus Phoebus soundcard is MUCH more messed up, then on galaxy s3/ htc m8.

Also, the measurement was just the chinese version. There is a possibility, that it might be different in the international version (like i said, from my ears it should not be higher than 4-5 ohm, since it has the exact same frequency response than my galaxy s3).

May 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #59 of 76
  I am using UE 900 on my One m8, and i can not hear any mess up with the frequency response, compared to my previous 2 - 3,45 Ohm Galaxy S3. I have absolutely ZERO complains there.
Even if some frequency are lowered/raised by 1-2 dB due to 8-9 Ohm output impedance, tbh.. noone will notice that really, thats such a minimal change. Thats totally overreacted here, tbh.

And in fact, the Frequency response on my 10~ Ohm Asus Phoebus soundcard is MUCH more messed up, then on galaxy s3/ htc m8.

Also, the measurement was just the chinese version. There is a possibility, that it might be different in the international version (like i said, from my ears it should not be higher than 4-5 ohm, since it has the exact same frequency response than my galaxy s3).

Glad to hear that's working out for you. I simply cant bear the hiss on the M8, coming from an electrical background that impedance is unacceptable on a premium device from an engineering standpoint. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back