"Galaxy" cases earthing ?
Mar 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm working on a DAC and bought one hifi2000 galaxy gx247 to case it. I just realized that the case was not built in a way that would allow all the panels to make a strong electrical connection. I'm putting a transformer in there and I'd rather earth the whole enclosure.

Since these cases are rather common, I wondered how do people using them proceed ?

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 4
 I just realized that the case was not built in a way that would allow all the panels to make a strong electrical connection.

Hi 00940,

I am not an electrician but I wonder what makes a case to qualify for strong electrical connections? The HIFI2000 cases are bolted together 
quite tightly with those M3/M4 screws... isn't that enough?
I housed a DAC myself in a HIFI2000 Galaxy Maggiorato case and "just" connected the bottom plate (with the transformer sitting on it) to
Earth.
But then I am not really afraid of electrical shocks since I NEVER had a connection come loose (and it can be prevented with other safety 
measures. Just my 2 €cents... don't want to be careless :wink:

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi;

Ran into this problem with a just finished two chassis Aikido build.  Some of my panels were not showing conductivity to ground.  This is because most/all of the casing panels are anodized, which is non conductive.  What I ended up doing was taking small files, picks, screw drivers etc. to scrape/clean all the areas that are used for grounding and all the areas where the panels are attached to each other.  IE clean under each of the 4 screws that fasten the top to the sides as well as inside of the the channels that hold the nuts for the screws.  I also used my meter to check my work.  Took a while.  Also took my time so that my work didn't show.

Me

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the answers.

I finally did the same. Took a big metal file and filed away the paint on the edges of the side panels and at the places they contact the other panels. A quick conductivity check seems ok.

Nice case btw (as you all already know) but it's going to be a tighter fit than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back