Galaxy case owners: inside height available?
Jul 3, 2007 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering shoehorning my CK2III into a GX247. The measurements for the case on Audiokit.it are 230 x 170 x 40mm, or 9 x 6.7 x 1.5inch. However, I can only assume those are the outside dimensions. Any idea what the internal dimensions of the case are? I would send an email to Audiokit, but my Italian ain't what it used to be
wink.gif

many thanks!

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 17
The width (230mm) is measured from the outside.
The usable width on the inside is 210mm.
Depth and height are as indicated.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 17
Excellent! By the time I add the heatsinks, I'm almost down to counting millimeters, so this is great info. Thanks!

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, the heatsinks are bolted to the ground tab on the voltage regulators in this build. I'm pretty sure I would set up some definite grounding problems!

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the heatsinks are bolted to the ground tab on the voltage regulators in this build. I'm pretty sure I would set up some definite grounding problems!

Well there's always the option of heatsink mounting kits that isolate the VR's from the heatsink. For example Mouser# 532-4880

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there's always the option of heatsink mounting kits that isolate the VR's from the heatsink. For example Mouser# 532-4880

Good point. I had forgotten about that. Thanks!

So the GX247 is here and it looks like I'll be able to drop the large caps upright on the board and still have some clearance left. I was planning on laying them down flat, but I guess I don't need to now.

The Galaxy cases from Audiokit are amazing. They are heavy and solid, and look really professional. I'm a bit nervous about drilling the 10mm front panel, but life is about taking chances, eh?

As for Audiokit, they got the parts here in under a week (from Aprilia, Italy to Seattle, Wa.) Outstanding service!

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm considering ordering a Galaxy case; my only reservation is that I would use Front Panel Express for the front, and I can't find any technical drawings at HiFi-2000. I emailed them several days ago but haven't gotten a response.

I could measure the actual front panel dimensions well enough, but I don't have the expertise to plot the screw hole positions or sizes exactly. The GX 187, specifically, is the one I'm looking at. Anyone have any info or ideas?

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Galaxy cases from Audiokit are amazing. They are heavy and solid, and look really professional. I'm a bit nervous about drilling the 10mm front panel, but life is about taking chances, eh?

As for Audiokit, they got the parts here in under a week (from Aprilia, Italy to Seattle, Wa.) Outstanding service!

I've purchased mine directly from Hifi2000 (they have a webstore up now) with custom CNC milling for the front 10mm faceplates. They are still programming the faceplate drill patterns, so I hope to get them soon.

Quote:

I'm considering ordering a Galaxy case; my only reservation is that I would use Front Panel Express for the front, and I can't find any technical drawings at HiFi-2000. I emailed them several days ago but haven't gotten a response.

I could measure the actual front panel dimensions well enough, but I don't have the expertise to plot the screw hole positions or sizes exactly. The GX 187, specifically, is the one I'm looking at. Anyone have any info or ideas?

If you can find a machine shop near you, then that would be an alternative to drilling yourself. Another method is to design all the hole patterns on computer then print out the pattern on paper. Tape the paper (precisely) on the faceplate and start drilling.

BTW, this is my 1000th post!
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Buy the case, measure it, set it up in FPD and then print it. Compare it with the original frontplate, and make changes until its correct. Thats how I did it. I did two backpanels for GX243 and they turned out to be very precise. Still waiting for a frontpanels though.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=2249

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks MrMajestic, that's probably what I'll do. By chance, did you figure out what kind of screws are used? I really prefer the look of hex/allen screws to the countersunk kind that end up flush with the panel.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thanks MrMajestic, that's probably what I'll do. By chance, did you figure out what kind of screws are used? I really prefer the look of hex/allen screws to the countersunk kind that end up flush with the panel.

Well, the ones shipped with the panel are M4 Allen screws that are countersunk, so thats what I used when designing the panels in FPD. If you want screws that are not countersunk, then just change them. Just make sure the holes are the correct dimension. I love the Galaxy cases, although it would be nice if it was all aluminium, but for the price who can complain really. Im going to be ordering at least three more for upcoming projects.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 17
HiFi-2000 came through with a technical drawing (for the GX 187). The drawing points at the top cover screw holes as M3, but says nothing about the others. Are the top screws different from the front panel screws, or is this meant to denote all screw sizes?

Anyway, for anyone wondering the panel dimensions are 128mm x 83.2mm. I assume the corner radius is about 2mm, or a little less. The screw holes are 7mm inward on X-axis, 9.1mm inward on Y-axis (the same spot on all four corners).

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

HiFi-2000 came through with a technical drawing (for the GX 187). The drawing points at the top cover screw holes as M3, but says nothing about the others. Are the top screws different from the front panel screws, or is this meant to denote all screw sizes?

Anyway, for anyone wondering the panel dimensions are 128mm x 83.2mm. I assume the corner radius is about 2mm, or a little less. The screw holes are 7mm inward on X-axis, 9.1mm inward on Y-axis (the same spot on all four corners).

The top screws are not the same as the panel screws.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The top screws are not the same as the panel screws.

Yep.
The 10mm panel screws are hex screws but have funny round heads.

Good and bad news today...
The good: All the cases, knobs, and custom work came in!
The bad: Huge amount of taxes and fees, and incorrect cutouts for the Neutrik holes!
mad.gif

hifi.jpg

drilled.jpg

drilledwrong.jpg

AGHHHHH! The drawing I sent was very clear on the cutouts...
Time for some negotiation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back