Gain Switch and Volume Control on Amps
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

akart

100+ Head-Fier
Is it better (in terms of SQ and distortion) to have low gain and high volume or high gain and low volume?

Thank you,
akart.

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 21
low gain is almost always better, since you will be amplifying noise to a lesser degree. 

the position on the volume knob doesn't affect anything, since it is just attenuation - in fact, high gain often requires you to be very low on the knob, where channel imbalance can occur 

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks! I guess I will use it on the low gain setting then and then turn up the volume knob on the amp.

Quote:
low gain is almost always better, since you will be amplifying noise to a lesser degree. 

the position on the volume knob doesn't affect anything, since it is just attenuation - in fact, high gain often requires you to be very low on the knob, where channel imbalance can occur 

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Thanks! I guess I will use it on the low gain setting then and then turn up the volume knob on the amp.

Quote:

Have you asked that regarding the Concerto+T1? If so can you tell if there are any differences concerning noise etc.? I have also tried it and in my opinion i prefer the high gain setting because the music is more present.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Have you asked that regarding the Concerto+T1? If so can you tell if there are any differences concerning noise etc.? I have also tried it and in my opinion i prefer the high gain setting because the music is more present.

I have the Symphony (which is basically a Concerto as far as the amp goes) and the HD800. I only use the high gain with volume knob near max.

I'm sure the low gain setting results in less noise but any amp would have less noise at such low volumes,... less music too imo.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

I have the Symphony (which is basically a Concerto as far as the amp goes) and the HD800. I only use the high gain with volume knob near max.

I'm sure the low gain setting results in less noise but any amp would have less noise at such low volumes,... less music too imo.

oulalala..the high gain with nearly maximum volume))  .. my ears will blow away when doing so but everybody likes it in another way :). I also prefer the high gain settings but I am at twelve o'clock normally..

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, I should say I start off at twelve o'clock on high gain, so as not to acclimate to the higher volume too early,... but usually end up over 15:00 o'clock with certain music.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 21
respect!! :) I am hearing right now with the HD800 and I am at eleven and it is almost too loud for my ears :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 21
Oh, no, I may be partially deaf then, ...or maybe it's the older recordings. I listen to mostly progressive rock from the '70's era and classical.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 21
CAN!!

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_%28band%29

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Oh, never heard of them. I'll have to check them out,...

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Interesting. I am usually at 2 o'clock or 3 o'clock on low gain and it is pretty much what I am comfortable with. Full volume on high gain ?!!? I would become deaf and my head would explode with the T1 + Concerto combination.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 21
I am not trying to play the wise person here - but just my humble opinion. Our ears will acclimate to higher listening levels quickly (just like the nose to strong odors). However, turning up the volume at this stage can lead to deleterious long term effects on hearing. Also, one of the problems being that the deterioration in hearing sensitivity is slow to progress and hence goes unnoticed until it is too late.

The contrary works too - if you listen at low levels, your ears will after some time, automatically adjust to the new sound level (provided your hearing is not already compromised).

One thumb rule to test hearing is to gently rub your thumb and index finger against each other, keeping level with the ear and from about 3-4 inches away. If you can hear the sounds, you are probably OK. If you cannot hear it at all, then you might want to get your hearing levels checked and stop listening to loud music. Also, before performing this, ear wax from the canal should be cleaned out.

HTH,
akart.

Quote:
Well, I should say I start off at twelve o'clock on high gain, so as not to acclimate to the higher volume too early,... but usually end up over 15:00 o'clock with certain music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back