Gain question
Jul 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

carmatic

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am the owner of a newly purchased Fiio Q1 amplifier, and on it there is a gain switch which makes the volume much louder.

What is the difference between using the low gain setting and increasing the volume, and using the high gain setting and lowering the volume?

I am posting this as a general question as many different makes and models of headphone amps also have a gain function

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 4
For headphones with different impedances. The low gain setting may not get loud enough with high impedance cans (100 ohms and up), the high gain setting may too easily distort with low impedance cans (32 ohms and down).

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Generally speaking, use the lowest gain you can and still achieve the volume you want to listen to. If you have to turn the amp to maximum on low gain to get listenable volume, then switch to high gain.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 4
In my experience, using low impedance iems and headphones, comparing high volume and low gain with high gain and low volume won't necessarily affect the sound too much. It will generally sound the same, just one will need to be turned up to a higher volume--that being the low gain on the amp. However, I am not sure if this is the case for everyone if they hear a sound quality difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back