Gain question
Mar 18, 2005 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I've noticed in Tangent's DIY guides that he often discusses tweaking the gain of an amplifier. If this is such an optimal thing to tweak, especially given people might use different sets of headphones - why not replace these resistors with a small pot- one that is only accessible inside the case?

Thanks
Clutz

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Gain generally isn't changed so often that a POT would be necessary. Plus, the feedback loop is a pretty critical part of the circuit, high spec metal-film resistors will have lower coloration/distortion/etc of the sound.

Plus, a GOOD pot is pretty expensive, you wouldn't want a piece of junk. Plus the're relatively pretty large (even moreso for a good pot, on average). Plus, one can match resistors or buy ultra-high tolerance parts but it's a much more expensive proposition to buy a ton of HQ POTs just to pick out two you'd use together.

IMO, if you feel you really need an adjustable gain, it would be better to use a good DP (dual pole) multi-position switch to switch between multiple different gain resistors-pairs.

Plus, often you already have two volume controls, the one on the amp and often the source. SImply chosing the higher of the two gains you'd ever need could suffice. Having to turn the volume knob in finer increments instead of a POT adjusted gain could be the lesser of two evils.

Also consider that Tangent has mentioned that original values are used in the guides but that most people don't need that high of a gain (except if there is crossfeed or other add-on circuitry to lower the signal strength, but that is generally a fixed/known situation that can be factored in when choosing a single gain setting).

If you only had the POT accessibe inside the case, then is there even much value in having it? If you have to pop the case open anyway you can just swap a socketed resistor(s).

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 9
As mono suggested MOST people use a switch to change the gain, if you want it selectable.

Switching the gain is good when you want to change between high and low impedance cans.

p.s. it's not that your pot idea won't work, it's that you need a quality POT and well a switch would be alot more cost efficient.

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
IMO, if you feel you really need an adjustable gain, it would be better to use a good DP (dual pole) multi-position switch to switch between multiple different gain resistors-pairs.

I don't need ajustable gain- it was just a theoretical question. It seemed like a simple/obvious thing to do to allow the gain to be easily tweaked for use with multiple headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
If you only had the POT accessibe inside the case, then is there even much value in having it? If you have to pop the case open anyway you can just swap a socketed resistor(s).

I can think of a very good reason for having the POT accessible only inside the case. It allows you to adjust the gain easily when you have switched headphones, but also means you do not have to worry about the dial being accidentally bumped around while you're out and about.

I noticed that no one was using POTs to control the gain on these op-amps and I didn't understand why (but I wanted to). It seemed to me that it would be a better way to control the amps gain instead of simply reducing the input signal (I don't know why it seemed like a better way of doing it- it just did). Since it seemed (to me) like an obvious thing to do but no one was doing it, I assumed there was a good reason for not doing it.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 9
id personally like to be able to use a pot to dial in gain for specific cans. i mean a switch would be nice but i still occasionally find myself desiring to tweak things out and a pot would be nice indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

IF you did (i did say if guys
wink.gif
) desire to have a pot to adjust gain, how would u amp gurus suggest one approaches the situation?

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I cant see any reason why you wouldnt be able to use to ~10k/20k trimpots (depending on what your R3 is really) with the old resistor pads going to the 1st + 2nd leg of the trimpot. You would of course have to carefully match both channels when youre adjusting them and they still probably wont technically measure up to using a good resistor but Id imagine if closely matched after adjustment then they would sound virtually the same. Of course if youre going to do this make sure to have a trimpot with lots of turns so thats its easy to make small adjustments to.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
IF you did (i did say if guys
wink.gif
) desire to have a pot to adjust gain, how would u amp gurus suggest one approaches the situation?

Have a look at my M³ amp site. Specifically, look in the "Parts list" page under the "Notes about R3 and R4" section. It talks about changing the bass boost potentiometer to function as a variable gain control instead.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 9
thanks amb! excellent work as always mate
smily_headphones1.gif
will go have a looksy
280smile.gif

edit: nice, looks like my mmm will have a gain pot when i get round to building it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back