Gah! Why do my cables keep breaking?!?
Oct 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KONAKONA

Banned
Alright, cables are really starting to get on my nerves.

On my way to school today I was using my friends Yuin PK2s (Since my KSC 75s were broke, guess how?) and the sound started going out on the right side. I determined that there was a break in the cable near the plug. I've had the same problem with my KSC 75s and portapros, but I was guessing those were because koss uses cheap cabling for them, but I would expect the yuins to do much better. I'm starting to think that maybe the fact that I run the cable up my back under my backpack might be causing this, even though it doesn't cause any strain on the plug.

Also I need to check the warranty policy with yuin, these ain't mine so they actually have to be fixed properly.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 10
how do you store them? if you just wrap the cord around the mp3 player and shove in your pocket/backpack it can really mess up the cables.

no matter how quilty the cable is, if your rough with it something will give out sooner or latter(probarly why high end eadphones/IEMs are made with detchable/replable cables, just a guess though)

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 10
The KSC 75s and portapros were always wrapped but I'm pretty sure the PK2s were always folded. They were put in my pocket on occasion though. Not sure about the use they got from my friend.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 10
It may seem like a PITA, but I wrap my IEM/earbud cables around 3 or 4 fingers, and store them in a soft little bag, then put them in a camera bag with my player and USB cable (also in a separate little bag) -- nothing is pinched, scratched, shoved, etc. And NEVER in pants pockets!

That's how you make cables last -- treat 'em delicately, since they usually are.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 10
I have the Westone 3's and that cable is tiny thin and I'm always afraid that it will break. I really really really wish they would all come out with fabric type or like the Altec's.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 10
stick them in a case! an altoids gum tin, or something. you won't have this problem.

I'd advise you don't run the cable inbetween your back and the backpack, because you're at risk for snags and such, say when you bend over to tie your shoe, or something....

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stick them in a case! an altoids gum tin, or something. you won't have this problem.

That's where I store mine
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 10
If you wrap them...or if you wrap them tight...and you put them in your jeans pocket...and then you sit down...they will break...it's only a matter of time. Particularly if you are wearing tighter fitting emo jeans.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wrap them...or if you wrap them tight...and you put them in your jeans pocket...and then you sit down...they will break...it's only a matter of time. Particularly if you are wearing tighter fitting emo jeans.

I haven't worn jeans in at least 10 years. Shorts all the way.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Westone 3's and that cable is tiny thin and I'm always afraid that it will break. I really really really wish they would all come out with fabric type or like the Altec's.

W3 cable will not break. They might look thinner than alot of others, but trust me they are VERY tough. If you search around the forum no one has reported problems. I had my UM2 for 2 years, and they never gave me a single problem.

^I also wrap my cable around 3-4 fingers and store in those Shure/Westone case/pouch when not using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back