Gah! Need to buy closed headphones.
Jan 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
So the heater and then the a/c is driving me crazy.  Of course not at the same time!

Most important feature is they must be comfortable.   I've used the Sony MDR-F1 as a reference to the most comfortable headphones ever. 

I can't stand on ear headphones.  Too much clamping force and I really don't need that level of isolation.  I had some closed Ultrasones and they were sonically great but not comfortable on the head band area. 

My budget is under 1000 and they will be all rounder cans.  Gaming, music and movies. 

I was looking at the W5000 as comfortable closed headphones. 

Edit:  I've also been eying the Denon 2000/5000 for bang for buck since I'll be using these headphones as all around cans.  I'm not looking for the perfect cans just comfortable with a good sound. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 4
The Denons barely isolate at all.  The graphs at InnerFidelity show that the W5000s don't seem to have much isolation either.  I've read that the W500's comfort is hit or miss too.

I've read the W1000x is less picky about fit and the numbers show more isolation.  I've owned the DT770/600s and thought that they were comfortable and had good isolation.  The new T70 has the same frame and should have similar comfort.  You can add Beyer's gel pads for more isolation.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for those graphs.  I book marked it to look at in the future.  Yea, the numbers are quite revealing for isolation.  I would like some isolation but certainly not like on ear or IEM quality of isolation.

I really liked my Ultrasone headphones, but they were very uncomfortable and I am not buying anything from them anymore.  Great sound quality is not worth a head ache (literally) for me.

I do have a pair of DT880 with gel pads.  The isolation is better than my MDR-F1, but they don't isolate the AC or heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back