Gah! Mini^3 battery too big to fit in case. Anyone else seen this?
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I just finished building the Mini^3 this morning, and when I went to assemble the PWB into the Hammond case, the battery is too thick to fit. (Tenergy 250 mAh Ni-MH battery). The battery was included in the kit from Glass Jar Audio. I made some measurements, and found the the battery is 16.16 mm at the bottom, and 16.67 mm at the top. Unfortunately, there is only 16.3 mm clearance between the PWB and the Hammond case, so there is pretty much no way this is going together.

I've already emailed Jeff Rossel, but I was curious to see if anyone else had run into this, and how they solved the problem. A different battery may fit, but I'd hate to buy a bunch of random batteries hoping to find one that fits. I could also try the LiPO option, but that's another board to build. I would also have to source all the parts, since there is no kit as of yet. (I went with the kit just to save myself the time and money of having to buy all the parts.)

Anyone know of a battery that will fit?

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Yup - I think I had a Tenergy battery in one of my mini3's.  I had to take off the blue plastic label and even use a file to thin the black plastic casing of the battery a little.  I'm pretty sure the mini3 website documents that many batteries are too big.  Go slow, don't force it, remove a bit of material at a time.

If the battery terminals are not completely flush with the PCB, that can raise the battery height too.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Yup - I think I had a Tenergy battery in one of my mini3's.  I had to take off the blue plastic label and even use a file to thin the black plastic casing of the battery a little.  I'm pretty sure the mini3 website documents that many batteries are too big.  Go slow, don't force it, remove a bit of material at a time.

If the battery terminals are not completely flush with the PCB, that can raise the battery height too.

I've already removed a bunch of material from the battery connectors, and it still wouldn't fit. That's when I tried just sliding the battery in with the PWB in the case.

I was considering removing the shrink sleeving from the battery. I'll probably just try that.

Thanks for the reply!

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 5
I also noticed that the inside edge of the case for my mini3 was not properly de-burred, so i filed down the inside edge where it was scraping against the battery

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 5
I had issues with my battery not fitting the case in my mini^3 build as well.  I ended up desoldering the connectors and reseating them as flush as I can (a bit of filing on the bottom part of the connectors that sit against the pcb as well), and also removed the top label of the battery before the whole thing just barely slid into the case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back