G933 DAC/amp?
Apr 22, 2017 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

akmaggot

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Got myself a G933 Artemis Spectrum headset from Logitech (don't blame me, it's half it's price on sale)
(also I hope I didn't break the rules by posting a headSET topic ;D)

So, there are 3 options I guess:

1. to plug them via USB which has it's own.. audio thingy

2. to plug the 3.5mm into onboard
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/specifications/
SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
- High quality 115 dB SNR stereo playback output

3. to plug it into DAC/amp

Since I am a pleb and didn't read too much about this..

I am guessing, DAC/amp would be best for sound quality (music, vid, etc. (even it's a headSET)) 

Would the DAC/amp and motherboard channels provide 7.1 surround or it needs strictly to be via the USB for this headset?
Is it worth it to get the DAC/amp or should I just use the USB? If yes, which one, if you could link me from ebay/amazon, there are too many price ranges and I really don't know.. I don't want to spend too much
Which one would be better, USB or to plug the 3.5mm jack into the motherboard?

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 2
  1. to plug them via USB which has it's own.. audio thingy

It's an external soundcard. It has a DSP chip like a soundcard, but works via USB.

2. to plug the 3.5mm into onboard
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/specifications/
SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
- High quality 115 dB SNR stereo playback output

3. to plug it into DAC/amp
---
I am guessing, DAC/amp would be best for sound quality (music, vid, etc. (even it's a headSET)) 
---
Is it worth it to get the DAC/amp or should I just use the USB? If yes, which one, if you could link me from ebay/amazon, there are too many price ranges and I really don't know.. I don't want to spend too much
Which one would be better, USB or to plug the 3.5mm jack into the motherboard?

A better DAC-HPamp would have less distortion and noise. However, such headset virtual gaming systems are always built around headphone drivers with very high efficiency, that way they won't need a lot of power to go loud, which is basically the first bit people notice, if not also the last, ie, the response curve doesn't matter as much as this past "explosions rock on this thing!!!"

In short, you won't get any benefit out of spending on a DAC-HPamp's large torroidal power supply, discrete output stages running in Class A, low noise potentiometer...

In other words, as much as other headphones would need more power, I'd sooner just use a headphone with a flatter response curve and use it with the motherboard, which has a decent enough amplifier stage.

Otherwise, just use the USB soundcard it came with, or the motherboard, if it has the DSP features you need like virtual surround. 

Would the DAC/amp and motherboard channels provide 7.1 surround or it needs strictly to be via the USB for this headset?

If the motherboard's DSP has virtual surround simulation like Dolby Headphone, a signal modified with that DSP feature will come out of the headphone output and the SPDIF output; maybe even the FL-FR combo socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back