G3 with AM radio?
Feb 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Magnum22

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, long time no post.

i was able to get out, sorta, with only a pa2v2, porta pro, and sr60. hd485 has been in the back of my mind.

anyway, my ipod's kinda crappin out on me. it's reparable, but also old so i might as well try something new. i like the G3, but i want AM radio.

any words or directions?

please make haste so i can get back out before something expensive takes hold! thanks in advance.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 5
I've tried for so long and everything out there. The best you can do would be a Sony NHF-800 Hi-MD minidisc or other AM/FM minidisc. Nothing else has an AM/FM radio except much bigger CD players or a crappy RadioYourWay.

I need AM. Short of a tiny radio plus MP3 player there is nothing else. With that set-up you would need to change the phones from one device to the other. That is unacceptable/annoying.

CD player with AM/FM is big and limited to 750MB MP3 CD unless you carry more which makes it even less portable.

Or, and I have done this, buy a radio and an mp3 with FM transmitter combo. A Trekstor Cebrax RS(radio station), Toshiba U201, Netac A series all have good built-in transmitters. You just need to plug in an antenna/cord to transmit better. It worked well for me with the Trekstor. The sound was very good cause my radio had a great sounding output and it sounded better than some mp3 players straight from the headphone out. $70 for the radio and 2GB Trekstor combined, so the price is okay and both the radio and MP3 uses standard AAA's.

Still I ended up selling the Trekstor on Amazon and recently bought a Sony MZ-NF610 AM/FM minidisc recorder. I need to record radio shows overnight as well. Of course the radio is in the remote but does get very good reception and controls music playback including changing playmode/EQ/folder +/- /radio so you can leave the unit in a bag or pocket.

So there are few choices. The only MP3 player with AM is the Pogo RYW LX. Either that or PCDP or MP3 with built-in transmitter or iPod with Transmitter attachment plus a radio or a Sony AM/FM minidisc.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to record radio shows overnight as well. Of course the radio is in the remote but does get very good reception and controls music playback including changing playmode/EQ/folder +/- /radio so you can leave the unit in a bag or pocket.

Art Bell, coast to coast, George Norrie? Look, it filtered me out

The Websense category "Non-Traditional Religions and Occult and Folklore" is filtered.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Oh and I mentioned recording overnight radio. It is important to mention that is through line-in from my home radio. Minidisc can't record from it's own radio since only the radio part or minidisc can use the power at any given time. It is diverted so only one can powered at a time, not simultaneously.

<RANT>Thank you Sony for that and not letting the other two manufacturers make any radio tuner models. Thanks for making us choose between higher-end models and the models with the radio that had the better features disabled. Thanks for realizing the full potential of the format! NOT!<END RANT>

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 5
crud. i guess it's solo AM radio for me, then.

how bout tiny mp3 players? i had been outa the loop but the U3 and iA7 are still around at a decent price. i believe they're 30 and 26 mW per side at 16ohms, respectively. i liked the G3 for the AA battery, though.

so, which? this will usually be used with porta pros and no amp. could care less about text or video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back