G&W TW-J9 Headphone amp. 1st impressions
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kane Williams

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks

Just got my first ever dedicated headphone amp. I've not connected to a decent source yet, done much listening or burnt it in for long, so it's a bit unfair to say how it sounds right now, but I will say that it works with both my Sennheiser HD485's and 600 Ohm Beyer DT770 Pro's. It's meant to be ok from 16 - 600 Ohms.

The build quality seems very nice. Mine arrived with a black volume knob, which I had not seen in any pictures, but I had actually thought may look good. The manufacturer must have read my mind! haha.

The amp has to be turned up higher with the DT770's to achieve the same level. I will say that with no signal playing through the amp, there is more hiss when turning the volume up to full with the DT770's connected than there is with the HD485's, so may be 600 Ohm phones are not the best match?

Although during playback of music, the Beyer's sound as good as the Sennheiser's. They sound differtent, but there is no clear "winner".

The top end seems a little scratchy with this amp and the whole mix is a bit mushy, but this is with hardly any burn in and the source is the RCA outputs from an £18 DVD player! Unfortunately, my Hi-Fi stuff is all in storage.

The scratchy treble did smooth out quite a bit in just an hour of playing, so I'm expecting this to improve a lot more with a good source and more time.

The low end had lots of force. I could feel the phones vibrating on my face!

I can't wait to get my new Xindak DAC-5 connected to this thing and play some stuff from a decent transport and I'll update this thread at a later date.

I have no DIY skills, but would love to may be try some easy mods on this thing, so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Kane

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I've since connected the TW-J9 to my DAC-5 and it sounds lovely! The source was still the crappy DVD player though, so a better transport should result in an even better sound.

The combo of the Xindak and G&W creates a very smooth presentation. No harshness in the highs and a generally full, balanced sound. The Beyer's sound better than the Sennheisers now!

I think the TW-J9 was a good buy.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Will open it up at some point. It's at my mate's right now.

I know they make a HA version. I assume this replaces some of the parts with better ones? I wasn't aware of the HA when I got the standard version.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations, KW! : )
Formerly, I owned the G&W T2.6F hybrid and very much enjoyed that amp.

ditto...additionally, the 2.6f responds very well to upgraded ic's, pc's, and warm tubes like bugle boys or mullards (which worked wonders for my unit)

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Reviving this very old thread. I am still using the headphone amp and still think it's good. I recently used it with ATH - R70X's and AKG K7XX and it works well with both. I have yet to take pictures of the internals, but I am going to, as I'd still like advice on any worthwhile simple mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back