G Protection and No skip antiskip???
Jan 12, 2003 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
As far as I understand most of the cd players by Sony and Panasonic come with this features to allow the listener go jogging and do sports while listening....but what I know is that you are not able to turn off this feature if you want to. So my question is do these features compress the files in a bad way so you lose fidelity? I know that the used to compress the files abut at that time you were able to turn it off...
Which one works better? G protection or No skip antiskip?

Jan 13, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 2
The Sony G-protection pcdp usually have multiple levels of anti-skip. Usually turning the switch on or putting the setting to maximum level makes the CD player aggressively buffer the music into a compressed format. The compression affects sound quality and my EJ-915 makes that apparent (and the fact you can't turn off the compression on the EJ-915 totally sucks). I think the compression in the EJ-915 makes the music sound bubbly and tinny. I think the compression on EJ-725 is a big improvement of the EJ-915 because the only difference I notice is that the bass is louder, but not as deep. The effects of compression among sony pcdp will vary from model to model.

At the highest setting, the pcdp will also try to recover skips more often and you might hear the spindle motor spin up and down much more often. Some people claim that they can hear electrical noise interference from the motor spinning up and down. In some cases with my EJ-915, I can hear it if I jolt the unit hard for several seconds.

Setting the G-protection to off or to the lowest setting probably makes the pcdp behave like the older ESP sony pcdp. Basically, it will buffer ahead a few seconds without compression. This should not make a noticeable difference in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back