FYI - Klipsch S4i coming in August - w/ volume control
Jun 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rgbyhkr

100+ Head-Fier
So, while I have several high end IEMs, I find myself using the Apple earbuds often with my iPhone because of the built-in mic and playback controls. Now, with my 3GS, the addition of volume control really skews my usage as I find that little addition quite valuable. Klipsch has gotten some interest from their new S4 IEMs and I found out some additional info about them yesterday. While I know I could go any number of routes to do the same thing with higher end IEMs, it's just easier to do it this way. That being said, I would love to have a slightly nicer set to use with the same functionality built right in for casual every day use.

So first, Klipsch will be releasing a version of the S4 with an in-line mic as well as playback controls. The expected availability is August. In addition to play/pause/skip, it will also have volume control. That's of significant interest to me and I bet some others as well. I wish more manufacturers would at least offer the mic and playback control with the volume control being the a great bonus.

BTW, my source is direct messaging @KlipschAudio on Twitter.

Jeff

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, if they say they are going to be available in August that means that you might be able to actually buy some by October. The regular S4s were supposed to be readily available this past May. However, both Klipsch.com and Amazon still do not have them on a regular basis. They both have them on back order right now.

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 7
not sure 50 dollars warrants upgrade over NE-7M because of volume control... but would be nice if they sell below MSRP. Although if the S4i has even better sound than it would worth paying more.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I just got a pair of S4i headphones thanks to the announcement on this thread! I am pleased with their sound. Also REALLY happy to finally have a headset that supports the full iPhone 3GS remote control commands, including mic, call answer/end, music playback, AND volume up/down.

The S4i's definitely sound much better than my Denon C551, which have bloated bass and a very recessed midrange by comparison. The S4i also seems more open and has crisper, deeper bass than my Shure SCL4s (pro equivalent of the Shure e4).

My main complaint about the S4i is that they feel and look pretty low quality. The cables are thin, which helps reduce microphonics I imagine, but they don't feel durable. And the headphones themselves have a chintzy plastic feel to them with a kind of unattractive painted silver / black twotone that makes them look like a pair of $20 headphones.

Also, the headset comes with a detachable clothing clip. However, this wasn't implemented very intelligently. The clip snaps onto the cable itself, not the remote, and is perpendicular to the remote. This makes the remote dangle off at a weird angle from my clothes under its own weight. I wish the clip could be part of the remote itself, and run the length of the remote, not perpendicular to it.

At least they sound very good!

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Professor Thump / other S4i owners,

Is it safe to use the S4i plugged into a Macbook headphone out? (For that matter, is it safe to plug them into ANY non-iPod/iPhone product?)

I am wondering whether a different headphone jack might damage the circuitry in the remote.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back