FYI: Cheap Silver Wire
Mar 5, 2004 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lil_JV

500+ Head-Fier
I made an order at Take Five Audio yesterday and got an email today saying that they were out of the 23awg Cardas silver wire. They had some extra spools that they are going to send me though.

They told me that when they get new stock in 8 days that they would reduce the price down to $0.95CAD/ft. With this and the PTFE 24 teflon tubing 1ft is only $1.16 Canadian. This is by far the best price of any silver wire.

Anyways I just wanted to let everyone whos looking for cheap silver wire know about this great deal. Oh and they only charged me $0.95/ft.

JV.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Nobody cares I guess.
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 9
i do ... im just gonna wait out the 8 days ... then again these guys are in canada ... 17 bux shippin only option to the states ...hmmm...

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Lil_JV
Nobody cares I guess.
frown.gif

No, thanks for the heads up! I just didn't have anything to contribute after reading it!

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
i do ... im just gonna wait out the 8 days ... then again these guys are in canada ... 17 bux shippin only option to the states ...hmmm...

You also gotta be very careful with duty fees or you'll get nailed. I once got charged $50 for a package worth $100. And this was after I paid for the original shipping.

JV.

Mar 7, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Prune
You've got to be kidding me!

Cheap 99.9% (fine) purity silver can be gotten from a jeweller.
1 oz fine silver is about 110 feet of 28 gauge wire, and costs $17 here:
http://wire-sculpture.com/wholesalec...356c31f55e5744
and similar in other places. I used this wire for my Venhaus teflon/silver interconnects and internal DAC wiring with good results.
Paying close to a buck a foot is insane.

That's a good link! If you buy jeweller wire make sure of the following:

1-It must be Pure Silver Wire (not Sterling)
2-At least 99.9% pure, the more pure the better.
3-Dead Soft (never hard or half hard tempered)

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 9
A couple of notes:
For those that have not used silver and are considering it, note that even dead soft temper (such as the one in the link I posted) is stiff compared to copper, and you should be careful not to make kinks in it. Also, softness is more important than purity IMHO, and 99.9% is fine enough (I dare anyone to hear a difference between that and a five nines in a blind test!).
Also, you should handle the silver with gloves to avoid tarnishing it (sulfur is the problem here, not oxigen or acetates as in copper). Silver tarnish is more conductive than copper tarnish, but still... You can buy teflon coated silver from a lab supplier (they are used for electrodes), but you'll pay an arm and a leg for it. I just thread it through a small teflon tube myself (if the tube diameter is too small to easily slide the silver wire in, use a drop of mineral oil at the insertion end to make sure it gets through) for chassis wiring, and don't bother insulating it at all for the Venhaus type interconnects as properly wound and secured with teflon tape around the 1/4" teflon tube the wires will not touch, and the lack of separate insulation means less dielectric absorption. 28 gauge is fine for both interconnects and chassis wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back