FX33 issues?
Apr 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LeoBloom.

New Head-Fier
It's been about two days since I got my marshmallows and there are a few things that I've begun to notice. Firstly, a slightly annoying thing is that certain songs seem to produce a light crackly sound (i.e. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy, and the chorus in RHCP - Californication and this is not due to bad quality of the mp3). I searched the threads related to the FXs but I didn't notice anything on crackling sounds. Another thing I've noticed is that with a heavy bass, the voices get distorted slightly. With my old shures, I never noticed any such thing but then again, I don't think my shures ever produced any bass thats comparable to the FXs. I would adjust the bass on the player but it seems that half the songs sound fine while the other half have too much bass. Other than that, I'm happy with the headphones. Are these issues in fixable in any way, more so the crackly sound than the bass. If the bass will get too annoying I might do the Kramer mod.

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 16
dunno what to tell you. I have issues with my marshmallows, but they're totally different. I've arrived at the conclusion that the drivers were badly matched. Don't have problems with bass crackly or bass distortion. I would venture a guess that your player is having trouble pushing them, but with a headphone like the marshmallows, that would be highly unlikely.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Well, I'm not expecting 100 dollar headphone quality from 20, I just wanna know why they crackle and nobody else has the problem. Its not player specific; same on my speaker headphone jack for the same songs.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 16
are you sure it isn't the music file? i for one know that RHCP - Californication was badly recorded.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 16
well, ill try to mention any other ones where I encounter this by tomorrow, gonna make a mental list.

But the Gnarls Barkley song was definitely normal on the shures.

for 20 bucks tho, I'm happy with them. It would be great if this cud somehow be fixed.

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 16
I've read several posts here that say RHCP cd's are WAY too hot. Something like that could cause some distortion.

Turning your EQ off couldn't hurt, either.

Otherwise, since they're only a couple days old, I'd just take 'em back and exchange 'em for a new set. I've had mine for several months now also and haven't had any problems. And the Kramer mod really opens them up. I definitely recommend it.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoBloom. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been about two days since I got my marshmallows and there are a few things that I've begun to notice. Firstly, a slightly annoying thing is that certain songs seem to produce a light crackly sound (i.e. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy, and the chorus in RHCP - Californication and this is not due to bad quality of the mp3). I searched the threads related to the FXs but I didn't notice anything on crackling sounds. Another thing I've noticed is that with a heavy bass, the voices get distorted slightly. With my old shures, I never noticed any such thing but then again, I don't think my shures ever produced any bass thats comparable to the FXs. I would adjust the bass on the player but it seems that half the songs sound fine while the other half have too much bass. Other than that, I'm happy with the headphones. Are these issues in fixable in any way, more so the crackly sound than the bass. If the bass will get too annoying I might do the Kramer mod.

My random thuoghts...

IMHO the FX33 is more detail revealing than most OEM earbud headphones. I'm wondering if its possible you are just hearing imperfections if the recording for the first time?

Is your source clipping? I am wondering if your source has enough current reserve capacity for your listening habits/preferences? Might also want to double check your track gain with mp3gain (or the likes). Make sure your tracks are not clipping as the result of too much gain.

De-activate any bass boost and set the EQ function to "flat". The FX33 is VERY bass-boosted already. IMHO unless you''re a serious bassahaulic (for which there are better ways than headphones to get your fix), theres really no need to boost bass with the FX33.

Do you have another source you can try?... a CD player or home receiver headphone output perhaps? Plug the FX33 into that and see if the crackle persists. If it does, then there might be something wrong with the phones.

You should note the mod I did, makes them brighter sounding.... so they are not as bass-boosted. Better spectral balance with the mod IMHO.

Good Luck!
Garrett

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 16
I don't know if I can still take mine back to the retailer cuz I got 'em a couple of weeks ago. However, they strike me as increasingly unacceptable the way the drivers are imbalanced. Might contact JVC's help dept or something....

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

"Crazy" has crackling (resembling a phonograph) on purpose, for effect. Californication is one of the most awfully-recorded albums of all time. I'm pretty sure that's your only problem.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 16
I got the problem. I thought it was me. Not gonna sweat it because its infrequent, and these are the most comfortable headphones I have (using the sony ex sleeves) They sound excellent, but not as good as my e3's or graddo's - so its a little trade off. Oh and I got them for a buck cause circuit crapty didnt have the cx300's when I paid for them online to pick up at the store. Best damm buck I ever spent. Wish I could get as much value with all the other money I spend. In short - yes there is a crackle, slight, but there.

Quote:

Well, I'm not expecting 100 dollar headphone quality from 20, I just wanna know why they crackle and nobody else has the problem. Its not player specific; same on my speaker headphone jack for the same songs.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Crazy" has crackling (resembling a phonograph) on purpose, for effect.

An effect which drives me craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee.

Seriously, it ruins that song for me, its like listening to music with your ears filled with 7-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back