FX-Audio DAC-X6 initial impressions
Jul 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 132

Primus2112

100+ Head-Fier

This was ordered from AliExpress on Jul. 14 2016, and received today 07/27/2016.

Initial Impressions... 
(Note... I may post a more detailed review after more use)

My main reason for getting this was to see if this could power my Fostex T50rp's Mark3's more efficiently than my FiiO E10k... and short answer is... sadly, NO.

The unit is very nice, lots of great options etc and great price when I purchased at 58 dollars, but now I see it is at about 69 dollars.

Testing - I used my PC and tested with the USB and the Optical as well. 
Headphones, Fostex T50 rp mark 3, Sennheiser HD598se, Superlux HD 681 EVO. 
and for A/B comparison used my FiiO E10k.
Used Music for testing, Rock and also heavy bass hip-hop rap. And Games such as Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

Results,
With the exception of the Fostex T50 MK3, the other headphones sounded good and loud enough. But with neutral bass oomph compared to the E10k.
When I switched to the E10k and activated the bass boost switch the E10k actually did give more oomph and bass to the headphones. (For example explosions in games)

The Fostex did not and does not fare well on either dac amps. It is loud... BUT not loud enough. No oomph in the bass for example with both amps/dacs. The fostex does shine on my Yamaha home receiver.

I'd like to say that the FX6 Dac/Amp is more comparable in power to 200
mw / 32Ω like the FiiO E10k and not as stated in the specs for the product that has it showing as 910mw / 32Ω!

Am I disappointed? Well yes and no. This is a nice AMP/Dac and for the price that I paid for it is very nice with the features and inputs. But it is not powerful enough especially for the stated specs. Maybe I will try the Monoprice DAC/Amp that states the power is about 900mw / 32Ω if I recall correctly. For a budget AMP/DAC of course.

I will be using this unit on my other PC so I am ok with keeping it. I will update and/or give a more lengthy review in the future.. 

Robert

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 132
@Primus2112
Interesting feedback. 
beerchug.gif

I've posted a reply here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/809203/fx-audio-dac-x6-2016-release-potential-sub-100-king/15#post_12752158

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 132
Yeah; this is a mains powered amp (rather than usb, or battery), that's one of the factors why I chose it. This is surely the (most) correct category.

I haven't yet disturbed my LCD2, to give the X6 a more thorough work out, but my initial impressions are good. 
I've got another 'proper' rig, for my 'serious' listening. This dac-amp combo is just for computer media usage; mainly films, series, youtube etc. I would normally just plug straight into the laptop, for this. But the laptop's sound has a problem (thankfully only in the analogue domain). I have to use USB audio, now. 

I used (put up with) a usb plug-in type audio dac, for a while. The DAC-X6 is a huge improvement; there's bass!!! I could put up with a general lack of resolution, from a sub $5 usb stick device. But its (very) obvious deficiency, in the lower registers, meant that I was going to have to reach deeper into my pocket.
The X6 cost 10x more, but so far, I'm very happy with it. If it had a pre-in (so it could also be used as a stand-alone amp), it would be the perfect little 'do everything' piece of kit! It's even got a full size 6.5mm hp jack; very unusual, in this class of product.

On the subject of noise: I did my simple 'background noise' test (turning the volume up high, with no media playing), and was surprised to not be able to hear anything, whatsoever (just my tinnitus). Usually, (and particularly with the Ultrasone 650, which seem to be much more sensitive than the Denon D2000 for some reason), when plugged into a dedicated amp, I'll hear a sort of hum. Not loud enough to distract, but if I turn up the volume (of the H10, or particularly the Hlly MK5), there'll be noise.
Now I realise that this must be, for sure, transformer hum, as both these amps have theirs onboard (two, in the case of the H10). But, the X6's is external.

As for other noise(s); I've not noticed anything. This, at least, suggests to me that the DAC-X6 isn't particularly sensitive to computer generated interference, via USB.

So, quiet with the Ultrasones, and bass like a 'real' amp; if it doesn't go the same way as my laptop, when I start using the LCD2, then the dac-x6 is a bargain!

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 132
Just an update: I've now dug out my lcd2, and powered up my main rig, for the first time in 6 months. The other night i was able to do some quick comparisons, with the X6.

To my 'out of practice' ears, the differences were quite noticeable, but not surprisingly so.

Firstly, plugging in the lcd2, after using the hfi650, didn't require a huge increase in the volume setting; the 9 'O' clock position seems to suffice. And the X6 seems to have enough 'juice', for the lcd2; I didn't notice any compression, or lack of oomph. (But then, I've thought that before.)

Comparing the X6 with my 'proper rig', what i did notice is that the X6 is inferior in just about every way. But this is to be expected; I've got a little bit of pride, about my set up. Particularly the source.
So, the sound of the X6 is more congested, lacks treble extension, treble clarity, imaging, and lacks focus and precision throughout the audio spectrum, when compared to my 'rig'. Unsurprisingly.

But, what did surprise me, and what got me questioning which piece of my separates kit is lacking, is that the X6 has an ever so slightly fuller low end, than my DAC player/H10 combination. Just the very lowest, of the low, notes are slightly more present, with the X6 dac/amp single box combi. If you look at my screen name, you'll see that this, for me, is a big deal; I should be getting better bass (from the 'proper set up')! But rather than being a total shock, this has just served to increase my suspicion that the very lowest low notes, are a slight weakness with the H10 (just like the highest treble).
So, the x6 performs quite well, with some good bass. 

I'm sorry that I can't make comparisons to some more similar kit. But, rest assured, the DAC-X6 sounds alot more like my separates, than it does a usb stick.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 132
Hi everyone, 

Good to hear all of your opinions of the X6 here. For a newbie like me, it's certainly comforting to know that I'm hearing what others are hearing. 

I paired the X6 with my HD518 for a few weeks now. At this point, I can say the X6 is good (for the money) in driving the HD518. I'm already looking to grow my collection (I want to have another set up at work) and started looking at future purchases i.e. HD600/X2/K7xx/T50rp Mk3 etc. I don't have any 'hard' to drive headphones i.e. the Mk3 or the K7xx to test this with. Thus, sounds like the X6 struggled to drive the T50rp Mk3s, that indicated the specs aren't accurate. 

Talking about specs being inaccurate. The biggest downside to the X6, in my opinion, is that the RCA outs aren't pre-outs. Like a typical computer set up, I have a pair of active/powered speakers that previously connected to the pc via a 3.5mm jack. In most cases with dacs and amps or dac/amp combo is that there are pre-outs to the active speakers or powered amps. The X6 on the other hand, has powered-outs. That's double amplifying the speakers, from what i've heard, this is not good. Worse, the headphones out in the front and RCA outs in the back works at the same time. Plugging the headphones doesnt stop the speakers. Sadly my speakers' volume and power controls are in the back of the unit. The volume knob on the X6 only controls the headphone out's volume, not the speakers. The computer OS's volume doesn't control the volume anymore, only mute/unmute. The only way to control the volume of the speakers is to adjust on the app directly, ie. foobar2000.

All this is confusing, but what I am essentially saying is, the X6 works as a headphone dac/amp combo and nothing else. With the RCA outs not being passive outs, it makes them useless in any setup. Because it's a dac/amp in one, you cant use passive preamps like the Schiit SYS to split between the speakers and the headphone amp either. I actually asked the Aliexpress sellers about the RCA outs before ordering it. They said they are pre-outs and works well with active speakers. I just went back to the product page again and the pictures weren't even matching. I guess that's the peril in buying from China. 

This makes the X6 useless to my home setup. Still, I will just relocate it to work, where I can't use speakers anyway. If anyone is looking to buy the X6 and use with powered speakers, keep this in mind.

Do you guys have the same issues? Is it only me that the RCA outs increases the active speakers' volume a lot?

cheers.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 132
Hmmm. Interesting question. Actually, I'd totally forgotten that those 'pre-outs' were there. (My desire was for some pre-ins, so I could try it as a standalone amp, to compare against the H10.) But now, I realise that I may be able do a dac comparison, instead.

Are you saying that they're totally not controlled by the volume knob, or just at too high a level?

If they're bypassing the volume control, then I'd guess that they're bypassing the X6 dac/amp combi's amp section, altogether. The output is straight from the DAC part.

I'm no expert, but apart from your obvious disappointment at the lack of volume control, there really shouldn't be much difference, as I understand it.

You see, a headphone amp is just a glorified output stage; the circuitry, and voltage output, is little different from the circuit that feeds the rca outputs from a dac, or pre-amp.

So, in theory, you could connect an rca to 3.5mm converter cable, and then plug your headphones straight into that, to be powered directly from a pre-amp or dac. It only gets complicated because of the variety of headphones; their electrical properties can differ too much, or many output stages just aren't up to the task. But with a reasonable quality (and volume controlled) pre-amp/dac output stage, matched with a suitable pair of headphones, there would really be no need for a headphone amp. (The industry, for some reason, doesn't really advertise this fact.
cool.gif
) So, in reality, your concern about double-amping is quite unnecessary.

I've never tried this, and someone, who knows better, might comment and put me right, But, I have reasonable certainty. Here's an example: most computer's audio output can be used for 'phones (they're marked as such), or for connecting to a speaker system, or any analogue audio inputs, really.

So, don't give up on your X6 yet; I'd recommend getting a 6.5mm plug to rca socket converter cable, connecting it to your speaker system, and then plugging that into the headphone output, when you want to use your speakers.

What do you think?

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 132
Hey, thanks for your input. I ended up followed what you said, plugging the speakers into the headphone out. That worked out quite well in the end.

It was because before I bought the X6, I wrote the seller on Aliexpress and asked, 1. are the RCA outs pre-amp outs (not amped) 2.will plugging in the headphone mutes the speakers (if the speakers are connected via rca outs at the back). They answered yes to both questions. That's why I was disappointed to find out it's not the case here. But I still think the X6 is a great option for anyone looking for a cheap dac/amp combo.

Has anyone else tried the output ports at the back?

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 132
  Hey, thanks for your input. I ended up followed what you said, plugging the speakers into the headphone out. That worked out quite well in the end.

It was because before I bought the X6, I wrote the seller on Aliexpress and asked, 1. are the RCA outs pre-amp outs (not amped) 2.will plugging in the headphone mutes the speakers (if the speakers are connected via rca outs at the back). They answered yes to both questions. That's why I was disappointed to find out it's not the case here. But I still think the X6 is a great option for anyone looking for a cheap dac/amp combo.

I'll be getting one of these in a few weeks from now so hopefully I can add some impressions too.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 132

Trusting a seller on Aliexpress is a very brave thing to do.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 132

Yep, I agree. This unit is probably my first and last purchase from them , as I cannot return since I would have to pay for shipping. And have to wait for it to get there is a longtime to see any type of refund back. lol 

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 132

Thanks for the kind words. It's actually outright dumb and highly not recommended.

The funny thing was, I wrote to 3 different sellers asking the same thing. The first one got back to me with the answers (yes) i then placed the order. Soon after the other two answered, but they said no, plugging the headphones won't mute the speakers. but no one answered the pre-outs question.

Image how I felt after i got different answers from different sellers on the same product. lol

Still, I use aliexpress on a regular basis. Don't know why.

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 132
Sellers usually don't test all the products in their stores and then there is also the language barrier so sometimes they don't fully understand the question being asked. It's usually good to do research yourself first before buying something. That doesn't guarantee anything still but it's a good precaution

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 132
Sellers usually don't test all the products in their stores and then there is also the language barrier so sometimes they don't fully understand the question being asked. It's usually good to do research yourself first before buying something. That doesn't guarantee anything still but it's a good precaution

When someone asks me a question I do not understand, I replay with "Not sure" or "I do not understand".
Replying with "YES" is sing of something different from language barrier.
The reality is the Aliexpress is a jungle.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 132
  When someone asks me a question I do not understand, I replay with "Not sure" or "I do not understand".
Replying with "YES" is sing of something different from language barrier.
The reality is the Aliexpress is a jungle.

You're quite right; it 'sings' of a different culture, with its good, and its bad. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back