FX-850, Donguri Syou or Flat-4 Sui for orchestral music?
May 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm planning another trip to Japan in June, and have the opportunity to pick up either the FX-850 or Donguri Syou for JPY 25K, or the Flat-4 Sui for JPY 30K.

I already have a selection of neutral (favourite: CKR9) and mid-focused (favourite: Heaven V) IEMs, and am looking for something with scale, dynamics and soundstage for Mahler, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Schoenberg etc.

Sources will be:

HM-650 with Minibox amp card
HM-601LE with iBasso P4 (AD797 / BUF634), Cayin C5 or Elekit TU-HP01 (MUSES02)
iPod Classic 160GB with Sony PHA-1

At the moment, I'm tempted by the FX-850. Any advice or recommendations?

Has anyone heard the Donguri Syou yet?

May 15, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 6
If you gonna be there, why dont you try them all at the e-eaphone store? About the SUI, you should check the NAMI too for same price range (about 27,000).  Dont forget to give us impression about them.

May 15, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm afraid I probably won't have time for that, but will order from Amazon to my hotel.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Nami. I hadn't thought of that one.

Of course it's made for Olasonic, rather than sold directly by Ocharaku. It also appears to have an aluminium centre section (I presume this "barrel" is plastic on the Sui).

Have you had a chance to compare the Sui and the Nami?

May 15, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 6
I'd recommend the FX850 for classical, but make sure to mod it to attenuate the superfluous bass. James444 is a big classical buff, so I'd field him for questions regarding the FX850 and classical. I only dabble myself but I feel that it's an exceptional phone for the genre. Violins and piano are very emotive and possess magnificent resonance and timbre, dynamics are exceptional too, with great expressive capability. I was listening to the Kreutzer sonata earlier comparing the Donguri and FX80 and felt the latter turned in the more captivating performance

May 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you.

I had suspected as much!

It does beg one new question, though:

FX850 or FX750?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back