futuresonic/xtrememac fs1
Dec 26, 2005 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mbgalg

Head-Fier
it is with regret that i post this review but i find it very relevant to the goals of this forum.
my first earbud upgrade were the shure e2g's which to this day i find very pleasing albeit not the best choice for optimum performance. after a bit of research i chose to upgrade to the xtrememac fs1 earphones. the earpiece options were extremely anemic with the only viable choice being the foams. right out of the box these earphones were very pleasing with a very powerful bass response. my primary ipod application is for use during workouts. i immediately recognized that the foams would have a very limited life span and consequently sought a remedy from both futuresonic as well as xtrememac. unfortunately both companies offer no support for this product. after about ten days of using the fs1's during my workouts i found the need to pump up the volume in order to enjoy my music. i then switched back to the shure e2g's and found that i had to greatly lower the volume from where i was at with the fs1's. this stemmed from the loss of integrity of the fs1 foams precipitating a subpar seal and a subsequent diminution of sound quality. one option could have been to purchase packages of foam sleeves from futuresonic but i felt that i didn't want to spend $50 to $100(or more) a year supporting these earphones. another option would have been to spend $135 for custom earmolds but i felt that to be a bit unreasonable. while i believe the intention of both companies was to provide a superior earphone listening experience they fell way short by prematurely releasing a product that obviously required a few more months of research and development. this situation is analogous to buying a car with a powerful and smooth engine contained in an autobody with a miserable suspension. wonderful motor and a horrible ride! the shure e2g's offer 3 different earpiece options that deliver acceptable sound while the silicone earpiece options included with the fs1's were useless. i am returning the fs1's but wouldn't hesisitate to buy them again if i was convinced that the earpiece options were vastly improved. the reviews that i read prior to my purchase echoed my sentiments but i chose not to believe everything i read. i ordered the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro and am looking forward to enjoying the listening experience that they are reported to provide.

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet...

That said, I think you'll really enjoy your new Super.Fi 5 Pro. I'm using them right now and I'm really digging them. They aren't the UE-10, but they're damn nice.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 7
The Shure E2 tips don't fit the FS1. The Ety/Shure Tri-flanges can be made to fit, as can the Ety 6 bi-flanges.

A bit late now, for mbgalg anyway, but maybe it will help someone else to mention that the silicon sleeves for the FS1 worked better for me with the FS1 fitted 'upside down'. It's worth trying both with the wires going up and over the ear and with the wires dangling straight down.

slightly better FS1 performance sonically with custom sleeves than with foamies or other sleeves and much improved isolation.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgalg
it is with regret that i post this review but i find it very relevant to the goals of this forum.
the reviews that i read prior to my purchase echoed my sentiments but i chose not to believe everything i read. i ordered the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro and am looking forward to enjoying the listening experience that they are reported to provide.

Think you will be really happy with the superfi 5. The bass is really nice and don't need an amp too much for them.

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 7
i just received the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro's. right out of the box the fit, comfort and sound quality are superb. while the shure e2g's are still very nice and i might add well worth the sub $100 price tag they are immediately outperfomed by the ultimate ears. the ear pieces that ship on the ultimate ears are a perfect fit for me. it's nice not to have to fumble around for a couple of hours trying to find an acceptbale fit. i don't even want to take these new earphones out of my ears!. my second job of the afternoon was packing up the xtrememac fs1's for their return. it didn't take long for the ultimate ears to convince me that the fs1's need some refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back