Futureproofing of Android DAPs
Nov 29, 2019 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all; I'm not familiar with the Android operating system and am considering moving to a DAP from my ipod/Dragonfly. My question concerns the useable life of the OS. I want to stream Tidal, which I can still do on my ancient ipad mini2, but not on my ipod 5. Is something like the fiio M11, running Android 7, going to be able to stream Tidal in the foreseeable future, or is that a concern. Perhaps I'm safer to stick with an ipod and my amp. Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Since the M11 will not be updated to Android version above Android 7 , it is up to developper or Google to set which minimal version of Android will be required to run apps.

I think for 1 - 2 years , you will be ok, but after , not so sure.

Current Android version is 10.
In 2 years , Android 12 (?) will be out , and Google can't afford to maintain old version of it as it contribute to Android fragmentation.

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense and I had no idea that Android was on 10. Makes 7 sound ancient. Merci from Canada! :). Have a good weekend.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 8
This is exactly my issue with DAPs - I need the connected device because today 90% of my music is played via streaming services online and offline (Qobuz + occasionally Spotify for music I cannot find on Qobuz). I tried the M11 on Friday. Sluggish UI , slow and not the latest Android. Hard to pay 500 for that! I will continue with my mobile phone and a separate DAC. Add to that future upgrades and this is a clear no go

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the comments. I picked up an M9 for $250CAD to play with. It was cheap enough to experiment with, tho I think I will ultimately find my iPhone SE/Q5 combo less frustrating over time. Happy New Year to all of you. I fear we may be in for an interesting decade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back