Future Source: Digital??
Feb 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
Merely speculating here but I would love to have a digital player as a dedicated source. Something with a lcd-screen, controls, remote and such but with the size of a cdplayer. With a harddrive like real big as in 1TB.
With good audio components in there to make it sound real good.
I like playing cd's but they end so quickly I thought it would be nice having something like this. Where you can zap to whatever you want to listen to real quickly.

I believe it has not been made yet but wouldn't that be something for the future? I mean, I know the Lacie Silverscreen works a little like what I mean but they don't play AIFF, ALAC, WAV and the likes, just MP3 I believe. And they're not audio-dedicated.
Any comments? Pros and cons?

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 29
Sounds like the Olive OPUS Nº5 are exactly what you're looking for.

products_opus5v2_silver_front.jpg

Quote:

1. Fully balanced differential DAC (24-bit, 192 kHz)
  2. 400 GB, 500 GB or 750 GB Hard drive
  3. Panasonic CD-R/RW (CD Reader & Burner)
  4. 54 Mbit/s WLAN-Access point (802.11g)
  5. MP3, AIFF, WAV, OGG/Vorbis, FLAC, AAC
  6. ...

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like the Olive OPUS Nº5 are exactly what you're looking for.

products_opus5v2_silver_front.jpg

Expensive indeed, but that is EXACTLY what I was looking for omg...
Truly awesome and a beauty as well.
Optical connections...really good! Thanks for sharing! Now I know it does exist, I only have to raise the fundings haha!
Thanx Enoyin as well. I do like the Olive better though. But I think more companies will work on something like this in the future which will lead to lower prices in the end ( I hope).

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 29
EnOYiN. Remember that she asked for a device with built in storage capacity. Which exclude the Squeezebox. Its not cheap, but neither are high quality/comparable CD players.

There are the cheaper Olive OPUS Nº3S ($1199) though. With less features and limited storage capacity.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

EnOYiN. Remember that she asked for a device with built in storage capacity. Which exclude the Squeezebox. Its not cheap, but neither are high quality/comparable CD players.

There are the cheaper Olive OPUS Nº3S ($1199) though. With less features and limited storage capacity.

Well, maybe I was just thinking from my own perspective, but I know that I would prefer the squeezebox (or device like it - price wise that is) since I've already got the server and the DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you would take the price of the server and the (external) DAC into account you would probably end up with a system which is comparable with the price of the Olive OPUS Nº5.

Edit: Bose made something similar btw. It's called a 3-2-1 system.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expensive indeed, but that is EXACTLY what I was looking for omg...
Truly awesome and a beauty as well.
Optical connections...really good! Thanks for sharing! Now I know it does exist, I only have to raise the fundings haha!
Thanx Enoyin as well. I do like the Olive better though. But I think more companies will work on something like this in the future which will lead to lower prices in the end ( I hope).

This is nice and all, but i think you could build an audio pc waaaay cheaper, with lots of storage, and even with a touch screen to boot! This will actually be my next project. I still consider myself noobish to audio, but throw me a computer and I know more than the average person does. =P

As a matter of fact, look at what Antec has released as an HTPC case, the Antec Fusion 430:
yleiskuva2.jpg

It also comes in all-black. Just buy the right components to make a silent pc, and you can have something that plays not only CD's but that can serve as your HD-TV player and what-not. Even surf the web.

But I don't know if the OP wants to go this DIY route...

The thing I don't like about the olive or similar products is the storage capacity. With PC cases, you can literally control your storage capacity to what suits you best. And you can always upgrade parts...

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is nice and all, but i think you could build an audio pc waaaay cheaper, with a touch screen to boot! This will actually be my next project. I still consider myself noobish to audio, but throw me a computer and I know more than the average person does. =P

I don't know whether it will be way cheaper considering the Olive has a balanced DAC (among other features) And good balanced DACs simply aren't that cheap.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 29
Oh! yea, that would be a good point!

Well, my suggestion pairs off better with people who already have an external dac and amp.

Plus, man, seriously... a touch screen is just so badass. Kind of overkill, but it sure would make for a really nice jukebox!

It's kind of Head-Fi meets CarPC.... hehe.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmm, this kind of walks a fine line between dedicated and computer-as-source...

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 29
well, I'm in the business and can say that there are a few manufacturers that have made things like these.

Bose indeed has the 321 GSX system, but it's a bad bad system!!

Panasonic has the SC-PTX7. Nice system, sounds very nice too!
(http://www.panasonic.nl/Products_Info.asp?M=4113|633|632|601|4|1)

LG has the ''GLO'' which is kinda fun, but quality wise it's not at the right level and the ease of use is terrible.
(J10HD : LG Nederland ,*J10HD)

Sony has the NAS-50HD, it's basically a mini/midi-set with a large colour LCD and HDD built-in. Very nice thing and good price too! SQ could be better but it's all right. I believe this is one of the few you could actually hook up to other speakers.
(Sony : NAS-50HDE (NAS50HDE) : Nederland)

Denon also has a system like sony, but with way better SQ and overall quality! very nice piece of kit indeed!!
(DENON UK | Home Audio Components)

You could also use something like the apple TV as a music station but then you'll need seperate speakers and receiver/amp.

Only real problem you have with these systems is the codec. They almost all have their own codec that they use. I think Denon uses the best because the sound is great.

there is also the Philips WAC7000 sustem but it's a horror system!

So there are plenty of systems. Just too commercial I guess. New Denon AVR4308 and S-302 have WiFi built-in so you could use them to stream music and internet radio from your PC. All you need is speakers, a big external HD and a PC with WiFi.

I think that's a very nice option too, though a bit expensive.

I hope this was helpfull. And all the stuff I just named is available in the store I work so you could check out yourself. Contrastique knows which shop it is.

Just so you know...

greetz

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

You could also use something like the apple TV as a music station but then you'll need seperate speakers and receiver/amp.

Hey Rico,
Thanx for your info but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to work with seperate speakers and amps. It's actually meant to be paired with a Rudistor in the future to replace the Larocco and iPod for home-use and keep the latter just for portable usage.

Sony is a brand I will never ever buy again due multiple bad experiences with them on audiofield and on the field I work in now. They have the lousiest costumer/dealer service I have ever seen, even better (worse), they don't care about the costumer at all. /end of rant
wink.gif

So far I think that Olive contains exactly what I'm looking for including the dac.

Lacie Silverscreen which I have and use for films atm is something like AppleTV. Both are not audio-dedicated so a no-go.

Building a pc...no..not an option for me. Besides, the Olive looks way more sexy than a pc
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 29
that's indeed right. But that's also what I meant when I said that my options were probably too ''commercial''.

Things you're looking for are not that commercial, at least not here in the netherlands.

I just wanted to point out that there are HDD music oriented kinda stuff out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

You and me, together with all happy head-fi friends are music lovers and sound quality lovers. We care about every detail and component in our system. Most people don't. That's wy these systems are less audio orientated and have more side features to justify the prices.

So I perfectly understand this is notwhat you're looking for. Though a decent PC with Denon AVR-4308 and some great speakers wouldn't be all that bad.........only thing is that it's not a compact system, but combo of PC and receiver. Me understands that it's not you're looking for.

I just want to say that Harman/Kardon (which is an audio dedicated brand) is probably coming with a server/media center-kinda thing.

Maybe that's more audio orientated and it sure has very decent audio components.

greetz

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! yea, that would be a good point!
Plus, man, seriously... a touch screen is just so badass. Kind of overkill, but it sure would make for a really nice jukebox!

Somebody posted a build (jukebox) w/touch screen in the "Post Pics of Your Build" thread within the last week or so and it was cool.
biggrin.gif

As far as pc cases go nmediaPC makes some nice cases for multimedia.

NMEDIAPC.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back