Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #151 of 1,216
I also bought the fxt90's but they didn't sound the same with bluelink bluetooth receiver--im guessing because of  the impedance??

Bluelink uses Bluetooth wireless protocol to transfer signal, therefore all sounds are compressed and lossy (worse quality).

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #155 of 1,216
Whoa shipping was fast, only took 2 days for me in Canada. I have them in hand but have yet to open them and won't have time to until tonight. Looking forward to it.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #157 of 1,216
Anyone know what the BlueLink does and any opinions on it? I'm confused... I'm about to go for the ATRIO M5/mg7 and saw there's a deal that includes the BlueLink for a few extra $.

So...

1) What is BlueLink, is it worth the money/usable/impacts sound quality?
2) Are the M5/mg7s the ones included in the BlueLink Combo package?

http://www.atrio.me/products/COMBO-%252d-atrio-%26-Bluelink.html

Thanks for your help :) I look forward to joining your ranks soon.

Edit: I saw the below, but was hoping someone could elaborate. Thanks!

Quote:
Bluelink uses Bluetooth wireless protocol to transfer signal, therefore all sounds are compressed and lossy (worse quality).

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #158 of 1,216
Can someone post some real-life pictures of the chocolate ones? I almost went for them because I wanted something a little different but settled for the black because the brown um... not to be disgusting but they sort of put me in mind of something else that's brown...

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #159 of 1,216
Quote:
  1. [size=10pt]Atrio stock bi-flanges: I believe these were used as torture tools in Ancient History. I think I remember reading about them in History class back in high-school!!! They are shockingly uncomfortable for me but the pity is that they actually sound great! They are “purpose built” for the Atrio’s. A lot of people put non-Atrio tips on and complain about sound quality, well I can confidently say that most non-Atrio tips change the sound signature intended by FS![/size]

I've got huge ear canals and the Atrio's bi-flanges were a perfect fit for me. I recently tried a fair number of IEMs, and while, sound-wise, the Atrios weren't my favorites (sorry, but I did find them bloated), they were still the ones I'd have bought if I didn't have customs already. Why? Because the sound is good enough and I found them immediately comfortable and their sound isolation was comparable to what I remembered of my HF5 (much to my surprise). With the other IEMs I tried and owned, I spent way too much time getting a proper and confortable seal, when I could at all. With its cables over my ears, the Atrio just got into place, stayed there, and didn't bother me. And on a daily basis, I'm sorry to say, ease of use, comfort and isolation weight as much as sound quality.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #160 of 1,216
Quote:
Anyone know what the BlueLink does and any opinions on it? I'm confused... I'm about to go for the ATRIO M5/mg7 and saw there's a deal that includes the BlueLink for a few extra $.

So...

1) What is BlueLink, is it worth the money/usable/impacts sound quality?
2) Are the M5/mg7s the ones included in the BlueLink Combo package?

http://www.atrio.me/products/COMBO-%252d-atrio-%26-Bluelink.html

Thanks for your help :) I look forward to joining your ranks soon.

Edit: I saw the below, but was hoping someone could elaborate. Thanks!

I've placed an order for the BlueLink combo kit myself and should be getting it today or tomorrow. Here's what I can say about your Q's:

1. BlueLink is the Future Sonics Bluetooth wireless receiver. Basically, you pair it with any device (laptop/PC/smartphone/car head unit) that supports the Bluetooth audio profile. In theory, if everything works right, audio from the source will stream to the BlueLink receiver, which you plug your headphones into. The receiver has playback controls (pause/next/back) so you can control what's playing from the receiver instead of the source (convenient for if you're exercising or moving around the room or in the car, etc). Presumably it also has a built-in microphone for hands-free conversations on a cell phone. 

That said, there is basically no information on the BlueLink product on the Atrio/Future Sonics/Vitasound website(s). From the product photo it looks as if it comes with a user manual which should clarify things, but I could find no reference info whatsoever online. 

Price: With the combo sale it's a very attractively priced Bluetooth receiver, assuming it's any good. You're basically getting it for like $10, which is incredible. Again, assuming it's worth using.

Usability: I'm guessing it's basically a rebranded version of any number of generic Bluetooth audio receivers on the market. It should pair up easily enough with any modern smartphone or PC. YMMV. It has playback controls but I don't see a screen like on the Sony MW600 bluetooth receiver.

Sound Quality: Remains to be seen. Bluetooth is certainly capable of transmitting virtually lossless audio (theoretical bandwith of Bluetooth is 721Kbps which should suffice in most situations). That said, the actual implementation of the Bluetooth stack in both the receiver and the source device are the real deciding factor. High quality (read: expensive) Bluetooth receivers can be quite well-reviewed though. And then there's the question of distance between the source and receiver, possible interference from external devices, etc. But for the most part, Bluetooth receivers work pretty well.

Another issue is that your headphones/IEMs are now being driven (powered) by the Bluetooth receiver's internal amplifier instead of that from your audio player. These receivers don't usually pack in high-end DACs or anything like that, and they typically run on a single AAA battery, so they are probably not the most efficient and high-quality amplifiers you could plug your $200 IEMs into. Now if you have an inline portable amp that's another story, but the receiver would still be a weak link in the chain.

Will you notice all this? I can't say - there are so many variables it's impossible to make any promises. My hope is that since Future Sonics is a high-end audio company they wouldn't put their name on an inferior Bluetooth receiver and risk alienating their customer base. That said, they aren't really a wireless audio company either, so they've probably just rebranded another device on the market. The lack of any sort of documentation or other information on the web is disconcerting as well. Whether it is high end or average junk remains to be seen. 

In the end, I would say that barring any glaring, terrible performance issues (refuses to stay paired or cuts out frequently), it will be just fine for casual listening, when absolute lossless sound quality is not critical. I bought it hoping to use it around my office when I move between desks frequently. If it works decently I'll be happy; I'm not expecting perfection in this environment. The added cost is so low it's worth the gamble. Worst case, it's a piece of junk and you can return it or eBay it. If I don't like it, I'll probably buy the Sony MW600 as it is very popular, well-known and has a nice OLED screen.

2. Yes, the M5/MG7s are the headphones paired with the combo kit. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #161 of 1,216

Quote:
Can someone post some real-life pictures of the chocolate ones? I almost went for them because I wanted something a little different but settled for the black because the brown um... not to be disgusting but they sort of put me in mind of something else that's brown...

Not my pic but I found it online and should help: 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #162 of 1,216

Quote:

Here you go, these are my Atrios. I think they look great.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #163 of 1,216

Quote:

Here you go, these are my Atrios. I think they look great.

Looks like you are using the Atrio with the Shure black foams?
These foams give very mixed results with the Atrio's.
I am one of the people who didn't really like them on the Atrio.
Could you give your experience with these tips for the other members?

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #165 of 1,216
Little update here after 70+ hrs burn in:

1. Sibilance is now mostly gone. A smidget might still be there, but I'm okay with it.
2. Overall sounds seems to be more pleasing, or perhaps my ears are getting used to them. :)
3. Overall FR doesn't seem to be perfectly flat. I feel like there is a mild bump around 2KHz which makes things sound a bit tiny, not warm enough but also not airy enough.
4. Bass is good and natural, not overpowering at all. Like everyone says, mid bass (around 200Hz) is a bit recessed.
5. Awesome sub bass. Tested using a tone generator and these MG7's reach 30's with ease and even respectably in the 20Hz range.

So far, I'm using the included large FS silicone tips. I've got large ear canals and they seal & sound the best. Only comfy up to 1hr tho and they snag more on the cables.

Also to reduce cable microphonics I sometimes use them inverted (L vs R) and have the cables route over my ears.
Btw I have the chocolate ones and I'm running off of a Sansa Clip Zip with no EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back