Future Sonic Atrio Vs. Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tseliottt

100+ Head-Fier
How do these two IEMs compare? I'm going to buy FX700s in a couple of months when I visit Japan, but I need a new pair of IEMs to keep me occupied until then. Right now I have ER4Ps, and though I love their amount of detail, their lack of bass keeps me unsatisfied. Some people have suggested buying a ZO, but I don't like the idea of lugging an amp everywhere even if its quite small.

The three main considerations for me are:
  1. Well defined bass that hits hard when needed. More emphasis on sub bass, not on mid bass. Something comparable to D2000 or DT770 bass.
  2. Exceptional detail. I'm looking for Etymotic type ability to separate instruments and retrieve minute details. I like to have that holograph effect where you can mentally visualize where each instrument is at.
  3. Following the last point, the mids and highs can't be muddy. I don't really require much from the upper frequencies, but I don't want them to sound veiled and muddy like XB500s. They just need to sound realistic enough.

The first two points are especially important.

For what it's worth, I listen to mostly Dubstep (like James Blake, Jamie XX, and SBTRKT), Hip-Hop, and a bunch of indie rock (like Fleet Foxes, NMH, Best Coast, etc.)

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I''d forget about the Yamaha EPH-100. They're not what comes to mind when I'm looking for sub bass.

Really? A lot of people have labeled them as bass heavy. Some people have even claimed that they have bass equivalent to the FX700s which are notoriously bass heavy. I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, just repeating what I've read.

I actually don't mind if they don't meet the Atrios in terms of bass. Especially if they make up for it in 3D imaging. But I want the the bass to be present enough in the music to leave me satisfied. I'm just trying to find which IEM has the best compromise.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
For what it's worth, I listen to mostly Dubstep (like James Blake, Jamie XX, and SBTRKT), Hip-Hop, and a bunch of indie rock (like Fleet Foxes, NMH, Best Coast, etc.)

IE6,7,8 (now IE60 and IE80), Vsonic R07, Sony EX600, Westone3, all Monster Turbines are great on this music.
PS
I'm also thinking about Atrios. Very interesting model for me according to reviews..

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm aware that some people consider the EPH-100 to be bass heavy, but I really don't hear it. They may have a slight mid-bass bump, but I don't think they have the sub bass to impress with genres like dubstep. I can't comment on the Atrios because I don't have it but I just ordered a pair which should be arriving in a few days. Do bear in mind though, that there is an on-line Atrios coupon [size=small]CostProg50[/size][size=small]% which might still be in effect so it might be more cost-effective since you're only looking for something to tide you over until you get your FX700. Other than that, I might recommend the Vsonic GR07 which has very nice sub bass extension and rumble.[/size]

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Really? A lot of people have labeled them as bass heavy. Some people have even claimed that they have bass equivalent to the FX700s which are notoriously bass heavy. I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, just repeating what I've read.

I actually don't mind if they don't meet the Atrios in terms of bass. Especially if they make up for it in 3D imaging. But I want the the bass to be present enough in the music to leave me satisfied. I'm just trying to find which IEM has the best compromise.

I have both FX700 and EPH-100, and while I now prefer the Yamahas, they just don't have the same bass level as FX700.
FX700 are bass-heavy, although they're nicely controlled (not muddy).
EPH-100 have very nice bass, with good impact, but not at FX700 level, while still stronger (and better in my opinion) than most balanced armature IEMs.

But I don't seem to hear this mid-bass hump DTKZ is talking about, they extend nicely all the way down. FX700 clearly has this hump on the other hand.

EPH-100 strong points are its mids, isolation, the excellent instrument separation, which is not usual for dynamic drivers, and they sound clear.

Don't know the Atrios, but EX600 could also be good (less mids, more treble than EPH-100, less isolation).

IE8 will not be as clear, and do not separate like EPH-100/EX600.

GR07 get a lot of praise here as well, although I'm not sure the bass level will be enough for the OP (definitely not D2000-like). Other than that, they tick all the other boxes.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I have both FX700 and EPH-100, and while I now prefer the Yamahas, they just don't have the same bass level as FX700.
FX700 are bass-heavy, although they're nicely controlled (not muddy).
EPH-100 have very nice bass, with good impact, but not at FX700 level, while still stronger (and better in my opinion) than most balanced armature IEMs.

But I don't seem to hear this mid-bass hump DTKZ is talking about, they extend nicely all the way down. FX700 clearly has this hump on the other hand.

EPH-100 strong points are its mids, isolation, the excellent instrument separation, which is not usual for dynamic drivers, and they sound clear.

Don't know the Atrios, but EX600 could also be good (less mids, more treble than EPH-100, less isolation).

IE8 will not be as clear, and do not separate like EPH-100/EX600.

GR07 get a lot of praise here as well, although I'm not sure the bass level will be enough for the OP (definitely not D2000-like). Other than that, they tick all the other boxes.

Wow, it's impressive that the Yamahas beat out the JVCs. Is there a particular reason why? Also, would you say the Yamaha's are more D2000 like than the GR07s in the bass department?

Deciding between the three is getting increasingly difficult, so I may just buy all three and keep the one I prefer.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Its a trade off, of price, quality and personal preference.

From what I understand, both the GR07 and Yamas are bass-light.
In comparison to what I have now.

Only the Atrios are the ones with that boom-box bass.
I'm looking into the Atrios atm.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 16
Yeah, I've read the EPH can't really touch the Atrios bass performance. But on the other hand, I've read that the Atrios separation and imaging pale in comparison to the Yamahas. So I don't really know which one is the better compromise as I value both attributes pretty equally. Nobody has really given a satisfying comparison yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back