Future-proof DAC + AMP combo under $300
Feb 14, 2017 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fai9al023

New Head-Fier
* Sorry if this seems like a question that has already been answered many times :p *

Basically, I just ordered a DT 990 250 ohms as my first pair of open back cans. I only have a FiiO E10K to drive them which I know won't give them enough power to unleash their full potential. So, I want a DAC & AMP to power it and to power anything I throw at it as far as future purchases go.

What I currently have:
Westone W30
Shure SE215
Audio Technica M50X
V-Moda M80
(& the Beyers which will arrive soon)

I am mostly looking at the O2/ODAC which is just under $300, would that be a good choice? Also, I wanted to know if I get a custom O2/ODAC, should I get a dedicated DAC line output for either 3.5 or RCA if I get an Audioengine A2+ or some other speakers later on?

Any help is appreciated :D

Thank you!

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi there!

Have you considered the modi2u/magni2u schiit stack? That would be right about $300 and have the power to drive anything it would make sense to drive with a $300 setup.

The magn2u has RCA output so you could just use it as a preamp for any set of powered monitors. That way you just have to unplug your headphones for the sound to go to your monitors.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 10
  Hi there!

Have you considered the modi2u/magni2u schiit stack? That would be right about $300 and have the power to drive anything it would make sense to drive with a $300 setup.

The magn2u has RCA output so you could just use it as a preamp for any set of powered monitors. That way you just have to unplug your headphones for the sound to go to your monitors.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep I did look into the Schiit stack as well, but the O2/ODAC seems more appealing to me as it's a combo in one box. I would just prefer to have one device on my desk rather than two. But I will keep looking as I'm probably purchasing what I decide on at the end of this month.

Thanks again!

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 10
  Hi there!

Actually, never mind :p I wouldn't mind having a DAC + AMP that are separate from each other.

So in my case you'd recommend the modi/magni over the O2/ODAC. Also, is it worth getting the uber versions of both the magni/modi over the regular versions?

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 10
Actually, never mind :p I wouldn't mind having a DAC + AMP that are separate from each other.

So in my case you'd recommend the modi/magni over the O2/ODAC. Also, is it worth getting the uber versions of both the magni/modi over the regular versions?

Thanks!

The Uber might come in handy in the future if you ever needed the extra power. If it's affordable, I don't see why not. But then again, you might also buy other amps in the future, decisions. :D

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 10
haha yeah tons of decisions :D

Magni2U/Modi2U is the same price as the O2/ODAC so I would just have to decide on those two. Seems like I'll be going with the Schiit stack then!

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 10
  haha yeah tons of decisions :D

Magni2U/Modi2U is the same price as the O2/ODAC so I would just have to decide on those two. Seems like I'll be going with the Schiit stack then!

Sounds good. The nice thing about buying it separately is that if you decide to upgrade your amp you still have the DAC. I also believe that the schiit stack has an (ever so small) edge over the O2/ODAC.

The modi2u is powered, where the non-uber version is power over usb. Some will argue that this makes the power cleaner in the uber version, but it depends on whether or not the power from your computer is "clean". As Slashfurry99 said the magni2u has more power than the magni2, and might, therefore be a better investment down the road.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 10
You are welcome. Just watch out for the plague that is needing to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back