Future-proof amp?
Sep 25, 2005 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

1031tensai

New Head-Fier
what would be a good amp (tube or ss) that will be future-proof to headphone upgrades (aka upgraditis, or whatever you guys call it
rolleyes.gif
)
around 1500-2000$?

i currently have an hd650, and am considering a recable it with zu balanced cables in the future (i have heard that there's a great improvement by doing so), therefore i want a balanced amp. but i do want a regular 1/4 out for headphones without balanced cables as well.

the most versatile amp seems to be the sds xlr, but it's way beyond my possible budget (this amp consideration is for the future, as i am still enjoying my g.lite+hd650 combo). i am looking at the sft dynamight as a good option.

any advice appreciated. thanks in advance!

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 16
Gilmore Reference Headphone Amplifier from Headamp perhaps?

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 16
Second for the Gilmore. I was considering it quite seriously, but instead bought my Desktop. I only bought the (more expensive maxed out) desktop because of it's flexibility, transportability, and preamp functions. But the Gilmore seems VERY reasonably priced, especially compared to balanced offerings from Headroom and does seem to offer everything you want. Never heard anything Gilmore though, and it seems to be very popular with Grado people who I am not one of.

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Gilmore Reference Headphone Amplifier from Headamp perhaps?

Why get that when you can get a Dynamight, for the money he's talking about?

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 16
It was just a suggestion and it is quite a capable amp which fits the pricing criteria so....

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 16
ive heard that the singlepower sds-xlr and dynamight match well with high-end cans such as ps-1, l3000, r10, qualia 010, etc. [EDIT] also balanced hd650, which i will start with [/EDIT]

ive also saw good reviews on the gilmore reference them as well, but it seems the dynamight is superior to it. i guess that the dynamight is the best ss amp for my purpose. are there any others?

for tube amps, is there an affordable singlepower with all the features i want? im interested in tube amps many people here recommend them (although i have no knowledge on them).

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1031tensai
for tube amps, is there an affordable singlepower with all the features i want? im interested in tube amps many people here recommend them (although i have no knowledge on them).

contact SinglePower and they'll help you out. all their amps can be configured to be balanced.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 16
A new Reference is on the way. You might consider waiting to see what it has to offer. I know it will have modules that can be upgraded.

Headrooms are pricey, but once again, they can be upgraded; just a couple of things to consider for future-proofness.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 16
I don't believe in future proofing because of synergy. A future new headphones may work/sound differently in whatever amp you use now. That's not to say it will sound bad but it may not sound how you'd ultimately like it.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 16
I've never heard it, but the RS Raptor is in that price range if you want tubes--do a search and you'll find plenty of threads discussing it.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 16
To me, a future proof amp should be either infinitely upgradable or one holds the values and popularity so that you can sell it to fund for upgrade easily without the huge loss. Since there is no real infinitely upgradable, I found a middle ground, the Singlepower amp. It can be upgrade to many different configuration, and it should hold its value in this competitive market for quite sometime.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 16
First, I would look at Singlepower amps in general if your looking for non-obsolescence. You can send these in at any time for upgrades or new technology... like a lot of current owners are doing right now to get the newest SLAM version of the ppx3 or mpx3. The upgrades keep your amp up to date and Mikhail is very reasonable with his prices for the upgrades. I have had a couple of my amps upgraded and its easy.
cool.gif

At your stated budget you can get a stock mpx3 for under $1000 or a stock supra under $2000. These amps sound awesome stock and you can eventually upgrade them more if you choose.... or as finances allow. You could also start with a mpx3 and add options like paper-in-oil coupling caps for more transparency, solen power supply capacitors for better bass extension and control, blackgate cathode capacitors for more speed or a stepped attenuator for increased resolution and better channel balance and tracking. To decide whats best for you give Mikhail a call or email.

I keep trying different brands but I have ended up buying more singlepower amps because I cant find anything that betters them for my tastes. In fact, I have a SLAM mpx3 coming this week and I am pumped. My expectations are sky high!!
icon10.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138568

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
I've never heard it, but the RS Raptor is in that price range if you want tubes--do a search and you'll find plenty of threads discussing it.

I second that.
Raptor has tube warmth and smoothness and maintains a clear and open sound.
I think any amp that sounds good is future proof. Human hearing will not change in the next 100 years. What sounds good today will sound good 20 years from now, although by that time there may be new (and maybe cheaper) ways of making good-sounding amps.

If I have to make a guess, I would say tube amps are more future proof than SS amps.
SS technology keeps getting better, and switching amplifier chips with built-in DSP seem to be the wave of the future. Maybe some day we can even program the DSP part to tune the sound digitally, give it that Telefunken 12AX7 distortion or something.

Tube technology, however, has remained pretty much unchanged for many decades, and many people still like its sound, and in some ocaasions over all SS stuff.
Even the most dsicerning audio engineers still have lots of tube equipment in their stash, and no one in that business is even talking about getting rid of tubes.
I think a good tube amp will be more future-proof, especially one that can cope with all kinds of headphone impedances (Raptor fits the bill). It is hard to say what kind of headphone impedance will be more popular 10 years from now.

Sep 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 16
wow, a lot of input. thanks!

i'm fairly interested in the singlepower amps now. i think i will contact singlepower and learn about these amps later.

but while i looked at all these high end amps, i noticed that i do not have an efficient "source" to match with the high end amp if i were to buy it. sadly, my source is a crappy laptop (i will be buying a new desktop computer in december though). im thinking of buying a good external dac as well. within $2000, i figured out 2 possibilities:

1. benchmark dac1, gilmore lite (already own), hd650 balanced cable upgrade (for use directly from the xlr out of dac1), save money or buy another pair of cans

or

2. headroom micro dac, singlepower amp xlr version, hd 650 balanced cable upgrade

although this may be a little off topic, can anyone recommend me which route to take? (or if there's a better route). which will produce better sq? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back