Future of Sony DAPs
Apr 24, 2011 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

THE_Anonymous

Head-Fier
Last we heard from Sony's DAP department, they released the exquisite A-series (A845 etc.)...and of course, the massively overpriced (but amazing sounding) X-series (which I'm a proud owner of!).  I think those budget E and S series players came out after, but those were not particularly noteworthy (just a refresh of the line)

Since then (which was nearly a year ago), we haven't heard much from Sony.  I was searching online, but didn't find much in terms of new product announcement or even rumours.  Has Sony offically stopped making new DAPs, or is some sort of new product(s?!) due soon?

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 24
The "budget" E and S series are still nice units.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 24
Well it sure seems like Sony is not going to release the new S series here in the States.  They put out the new 7xx S models overseas early last fall but no mention of them replacing the current S series in the States.  In fact the new E series has a 16GB version but it's not offered in the States either. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Well it sure seems like Sony is not going to release the new S series here in the States.  They put out the new 7xx S models overseas early last fall but no mention of them replacing the current S series in the States.  In fact the new E series has a 16GB version but it's not offered in the States either. 

I believe that 16GB E series is for sale north of the border, but yeah, I've only seen the 8GB here. Not sure about the S series.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 24
In EU we have all versions but they have that Volume limiter which is a pain. When used in outdoor, there is no problem with the volume but once that you walk out, it's really not loud enough. Unfortunately you can't change the destination settings without a Tool that Sony uses in internal.

The other way would be to get a Japanese version but I'm not sure if the language options can be changed. I do not understand Japanase kanjis :frowning2:

But I can tell you that the build quality of the Sony walkmans is really awesome, I had a S755 (which I sold to my girlfriend due to that volume limit) and it was slim, fast, responsive and the sound in a quite environment was really really nice.

And actually, i do not see any reason in upgrading their current releases apart of adding FLAC support; but using FLAC with low capacity DAP is not always the better choice.

I think that Sony will actually focus on the Smart Phone market where they are still trying to make their hole, it looks like the DAP business is slowly dying due to the fact that most of the smart phones today offer MP3 feature.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 24
Man, I wish Sony would atleast update the S series here in the States.  Just crazy that they have them but would just not take advantage of this market. 

My S639 battery is starting to die on me so after months of waiting on the new S 7 series to come out and never has, I finally got an 8GB E series.  I think when I get some time I will write a review about it.  There is so little info about this player anywhere on the forum, it should have a review or 2 done so people know a little more about it.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Man, I wish Sony would atleast update the S series here in the States.  Just crazy that they have them but would just not take advantage of this market. 

My S639 battery is starting to die on me so after months of waiting on the new S 7 series to come out and never has, I finally got an 8GB E series.  I think when I get some time I will write a review about it.  There is so little info about this player anywhere on the forum, it should have a review or 2 done so people know a little more about it.

Is that the E354? I was just looking at it online this afternoon. My S639 seems to be still running pretty well, but hey, you can't have too many players, right? I'd like to hear your impressions of that new E.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 24

Yes, it's the E354.  Was looking for the blue one because all of my previous Sony's have been black.  But the blue version isn't carried anywhere around me, so I got the red one.  I will definitely write something up on it.  I have had it for about 3 weeks now so I've had some pretty extensive use with it. 
Quote:
Is that the E354? I was just looking at it online this afternoon. My S639 seems to be still running pretty well, but hey, you can't have too many players, right? I'd like to hear your impressions of that new E.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 24
I WANT A 64GB SONY!!! WITH NO EU VOLUME CAP!!! 

Sorry, I just needed to vent,...please, carry on,...

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:

There is an Amazon seller with some of them (Can i put link to that here? I don't know the rule of the forum concerning that type of stuff...)

edit: But from comment, menu is in japanese only...

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
There is an Amazon seller with some of them (Can i put link to that here? I don't know the rule of the forum concerning that type of stuff...)

edit: But from comment, menu is in japanese only...

Sorry, I want native English - not Japanese,...no matter how good it is. The USA gets the "shaft" all the time I'm afraid.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 24
I use to love Sony DAP's to death...from discmans to minidisc to their earlier MP3 players, and as good as they sound now, I just really wish they would support FLAC.  That or lower their pricing.  I know, I know...it's a Sony.  But this isn't the 80s or the 90s any more. 

While their build quality is above average-excellent and they make very good sounding portables, their designs are often somewhat dated and generally less than ultra aesthetically pleasing compared to the premium price they command, further relegating them almost to a niche, audiophile like commodity.  In this new environment or market sector, they need and should realize this and get with the times and support formats and features that audiophiles (likely their stronger, and probably current market base) will demand. 

They have to realize that their aura or appeal as a fashionable or elite "show off" brand name is over.  It's their reluctance to realize or probably more accurate, accept that they are no longer the premier name in consumer electronics, especially in the US, has definitely hurt them, as their economic records have shown quite recently and been in steady-drastic-steady decline over the last 10-15 years.  Case in point, Samsung has leaped over them in the television market, Apple has all but American History X'ed Sony in the portable audio shower room, Microsoft said "what's up?" and then proceeded to steal the Playstation's hot supermodel girlfriend right in front of him, et cetera, et cetera...

Eh, end of rant.  Sony, just design some better looking, innovative products to justify your prices... that or at least add the features your "new market" will desire, like multiple codec/FLAC support, unlimited uSD expansion, or eeek, dare I say it, lowering your market prices to keep with the economic scene and times... and I will be the first to pre-order your next ultra flagship DAP! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back