Fusion Jazz
Jun 27, 2002 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jaggers

New Head-Fier
Looking for suggestions, as this branch of music is fairly new to me. My favorite is John Scofield, especially A Go Go with the strength of the acoustic bass and funk feel. I've bought other Scofield albums, as well as other more recent jazz musicians (Pat Metheny, Medeski Martin and Wood, Marc Antoine) and a few other classics (Davis), but have yet to find more of the funk I need! Please help if this is your bag.

edit: typo

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 20
One I'd recommend is Lunar Crush, by David Fiuczynski and Medeski. It came out back in 1994, on the Gramavision label.

It's pretty hard-driving, with a strong funk and rock influence, and the musicianship is impressive. This definitely is the real deal.

Jun 27, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 20
well, there is something special about the album Man-Child, by Herbie Hancock.............it's funky, rocks, and is definetly jazz(fusion).

I recommend it whole-heartedly, esp. the MSFL remaster.....

Drive, by David Sanborn, is a decent smooth jazz/funk album, though it has less of a rock influence.

Miles Davis' most accessible electric period work is definetely A Tribute To Jack Johnson, and that is funky, it rocks, and it is one of the finest fusion attempts I've heard.

I wish I could help ya more, but I'm really not into funk all that much.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 20
(an academic funk-gasm - too much funk)

B000008U0X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions rollin if this is your bag. I'd like to add that I picked up Marcus Miller's M2 album, and I'm really enjoying it! Perhaps that will gain more suggestions, further identifying the branch of jazz I'm lookin for.

Thanks again!

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 20
I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of "Lunar Crush"! This cd will test the limits of anyone's speakers and/or headphone system. It is a DDD recording with a huge dynamic range. Great stuff! I would also recommend:

Screaming Headless Torsos - Live
The Headhunters - Survival Of The Fittest
The Fents - The Other Side
Brand X - Manifest Destiny
Percy Jones - Tunnels

A good place to search for this kind of music is:
hxxp://audiophileimports.com/

They have quite a bit of the stuff that you are into and most of the cd's have sound samples. Good luck and tell us what you find...

Regards

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 20
Not jazz-funk, but more in the Jazz-Rock-Fussion direction:-

Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-Apocalypse
Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-Birds of Fire
Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-Inner Words
Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-Between Nothingness and Ethernity
Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-The Inner Mounting Flame
these five are among his best...

Chick Corea(Return to Forever)-Return to Forever
Chick Corea(Return to Forever)-My Spanish Heart
Chick Corea(Return to Forever)-Light as a Feather
Chick Corea(Return to Forever)-Where Have I Known You Before
these four clasics, each one and one - are among his best...

Billy Cobham-Spectrum
Weather Report-Heavy Weather
Weather Report-Weather Report

...if you like it, I have more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Mahavishnu Orchestra(John McLaughlin)-

gotta agree.There also a lot of John McLauglin collaboration albums out there.
Also something that could be considered jazz due to zero lyrics and Jan hammer on keyboards which makes it fusion to a point is Jeff Beck : Wired

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 20
Jeff Beck can be a bit funky as can Mahavishnu, both of whom I love to listen to. I wouldn't call them funky, just simply great. Herbie Hancock is certainly in this funk groove as a Medeski, Martin and Wood. There has got to be a funkified Miles - it escapes me right now - but he seems to have done it all.

Jul 3, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 20
I forgot, Legacy just recently re-issued some classic, 70s CTI recordings that put some emphasis on the funky groove, more 'hard-bop' than fusion/jazz-funk, though:

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay (a mass-load of talent on that one: Joe Henderson, Stanley Turrentine, Herbie Hancock, Johnny Hammond, George Benson, Ron Carter, and Billy Cobham (drums).

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar

Cheap too at $8.99 or so.

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Charlie Hunter's stuff may be somthing you'd like...

Also, The Philedelphia Experiment (Uri Caine, Christian McBride and ?uestlove from the Roots- also Pat Martino is on a few of the tracks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back