Fuse ratings on power cords.
Oct 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Living in the UK, the power cords all come with fuses (unlike American power cords?). Just to clear the air, I'm not asking about audiophile grade fuses or whatever.

I have no background on electronics and what I may be asking could sound completely daft to you. I checked the fuse on my powercords (cheap, generic ones they are!) and they are rated 3A, 5A and 10A. Does it matter what the rating is? Would I be 'bottlenecking' the current going into my equipment? Should I change all of it to 13A fuses? Or even better, buy cords which does not require fuses?

Silly, I know. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 4
What kind of equipment are you running? You could run most headphone audio equipment just fine with 3A fuses.

Most equipment will state how much AC amperage is required to run the device. For example this 12v psu I have says "100-240vac 2A" for the required input voltage. This is probably rated for the device running close to maximum, and even then it's generous.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Benchmark DAC1 which has a fuse after the cord, which is great, so I'm not concerned about what my fuse ratings are.

A S11 PSU powering my Squeezebox 3.

balanced 4ch b22 run by dual s22 power supply. I reckon that's where most of the current goes into. Then again, I suppose you're right that 3A fuse would be more than enough, even for the amp.

I assume that if the fuse is not meeting the current demands, it would blow? However, if they are slow blow fuses wouldn't this result in some clipping on the amplifier?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 4
If they are slow blow, they would simply blow after a period of time at (or even above) the maximum current rating. You would know right away.

You'll have to find out how much current your average 4ch b22 draws. Then choose an appropriate fuse rating.

I wouldn't use a slow blow fuse on audio equipment. I'd be afraid of damaging the circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back