Furutech Cruise ..... First impressions and observations ...
Mar 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

downsize

Member of the Trade
OK ... I was originally going to just sell the Cruise unopened .... But curosity slew me, and I opened the box to look. Then the absolute beauty of the carbon fiber and polished stainless steel slew me again, and I just had to hear it LOL ...
biggrin.gif

So I plugged it in via the USB cable to my laptop with only WAV files, and started burning it in. It now has only 40 or so hours on it, but it is already in a word ... AMAZING. I will admit to being somewhat skeptical at the couple of reviews claiming it had true "high end" sound quality. But I now see exactly what they meant. I will do a full review with pics once it has a couple hundred hours on it, but I am not sure it can improve much from where it is now.

If I had to review it right now, it would be pretty easy .... because I could just copy and paste Skylab's review of the Blue Circle SBH desktop amp .... That is exactly what it reminds me of ... Amazingly transparent ... VERY dynamic .... very extended .... huge soundstage .... and very smooth.

And Average_Joe ..... you mentioned shock that Steve Guttenberg did not mention the hiss when he reviewed it .... I think you may have had a bad unit in your hands, because mine also has zero hiss with any of my IEMs.  A perfect dark black background.

Stay tuned !

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm was on the fence regarding this one. I was aiming for the Stride, the cheaper aluminium(no carbon fib) body version of the Cruise and the hiss was pretty much the only thing stopping me from taking the plunge. And perhaps the unorthodox shape, but it's growing on me. Good to hear some impressions. There aren't enough of them and I've only heard good things.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 5
The Cruise has a few attributes and strengths which could very well make it be a portable that is suited best for every single IEM and portable headphone on the market. It's lightning fast transient speed, and dynamics will allow it to really wake up any IEMs on the warmish or slow side, and give them some life. At the same time it's smooth and musical character should allow it to work well with anylitical or edgy sounding IEMs. And it's dead center nuetrality should allow it to work well with the most revealing and unforgiving IEMs on the market. I have found it to be pretty much faultless so far in my listening. The only possible negative for some could be the price of admission.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Looking forward to a more comprehensive review from Downsize. I've been seriously considering between the Cruise and Stride these days. Their flexibility, performance and mobility based on so far very limited reviews are what I exactly need. If the only difference is exterior, I'd eventually bite a Stride.
Actually, those Japan made little gems really trigger my curiosity. I'm very happy with my Fostex HP-A7, and may even plan a short trip to Tokyo in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back