Furutech Alpha Design Labs Cruise & Stride DAC & Headphone Amplifier
Aug 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
In Tone 39, they posted about a new portable amplifier. Called the Furutech Cruise, it looks like Ferrari had a bit to do with their design. I look forward to impressions of this because it could be the new state of the art portable amp!

Just learned of a less expensive model called the Stride. It will be $350 and will not have the carbon fiber surface.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 27
Cool design, but perhaps not a very practical design.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 27
Yeah not practical at all. I don't know what they were thinking with that unless it's much thinner than it appears to be in the pics. Whoever came up with that design ended up transforming it from a portable amp to a transportable amp. That's fine if that how they intended to market it, if not, then well......

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
Cool design, but perhaps not a very practical design.

Quote:
Yeah not practical at all. I don't know what they were thinking with that unless it's much thinner than it appears to be in the pics. Whoever came up with that design ended up transforming it from a portable amp to a transportable amp. That's fine if that how they intended to market it, if not, then well......

The way i look at it, is you put the iPod,etc on the bottom, so that the rounder shape is what is in your palm.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 27
It's probably not going in your pocket anyway, it looks neat...on a table it'd be fine.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
It's probably not going in your pocket anyway, it looks neat...on a table it'd be fine.

It will probably be carried around in a DHC cotton bag
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 27
Here is some specs;

1. [size=small]24/96 USB Input and Analog Line input [/size]
  2. [size=small]Beautifully-finished, lustrous carbon fiber and mirror-polish, nonmagnetic stainless steel [/size]
  3. [size=small]Fits in the palm of your hand! Enjoy your music anywhere, on your desk or on the go. [/size]
  4. [size=small]High-quality Volume/On/Off switch [/size]
  5. [size=small]3.5mm analog line input or USB digital i nput [/size]
  6. [size=small]Runs on USB power, an AC/DC adaptor or the internal rechargeable battery [/size]
  7. [size=small]High-performance headphone amplifier[/size]

UPDATE: Will be out officially in about one month and will retail for $475 (Cruise) and $350 (Stride).

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
...the Furutech Cruise, it looks like Ferrari had a bit to do with their design.

I don't see Ferrari in it. Looks more like matching luggage for an SV-edition Lamborghini, if they ever came with one; but of course the CF texture parallels LV handbag prints, which goes well with the more flamboyant Lambo attitude, even if instead of SV-ed CF seats it comes with the screaming orange leather.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 27
I'm a sucker for anything with carbon fiber.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 27
Seeing the updated pic just confirmed it. No way is that thing portable. But I still might be interest depending on how good it sounds. But my first need is for something portable, so this would have to be pushed on the back burner for me. Looking at the size, this thing should sound comparable to a fullsize desktop. If it does, then I could still have some use for it as a transportable rig for when I travel.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 27
who carries their amp in the palm of their hand? its form over function imo and that = fail. not a great sign that they have to spend a line to promote the on off switch as being high quality, while they give no other useful specs. at that price its up against some stiff competition and at the equivalent size you can pick almost anything.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 27
Too big. =\
Who's going to take the plunge?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back