[Funny] Vintage D-303 War Between 2 Headfier's accidently gun it out! Been there too?
Apr 24, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
By seller don't you mean digfilm? Yeah, collecting vintage PCDP can get costly especially if you're not careful. There will always be newbie or someone who got sucked up in the hype on Ebay who will pay just about anything to get their hands on a specific model.

yup

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
By seller don't you mean digfilm? Yeah, collecting vintage PCDP can get costly especially if you're not careful. There will always be newbie or someone who got sucked up in the hype on Ebay who will pay just about anything to get their hands on a specific model.

First, 'I' AM that newbie or someone who gets sucked up in the hype...(do I feel stupid)

No, no...FIRA1026 who is selling now, BOUGHT it from DIGFILM, get it now? see auction links...
I noticed that OLD e-bay auctions get archived and as a word of caution to newbies, I have 'cut & pasted' the details...don't be a stupid newbie like me...

BEFORE:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1
Bidding has ended for this item
Winning bid: US $600.01
Ended: Jan-22-06 19:01:31 PST
Shipping costs: US $20.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Ships to: United States
Item location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
History: 17 bids
Winning bidder: fira1026 ( 81)
Starting time: Jan-19-06 19:01:31 PST
Starting bid: US $25.00
Meet the seller
Seller: digfilm ( 2080)
Member: since Jun-06-99 in United States
Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 2080 | 100% Positive
Condition: Used
D-555 - The Best Sony Discman portable CD player ever
Here is a used, but well cared for Sony D-555 Discman with extras. This is the most ultimate portable CD Player ever made by Sony and has many features that would be found on future models such as an optical digital output. Other features such as a built-in digital graphic equalizer have not been seen again on a Sony CD player. I am also including all of the original manuals and packaging as well as a cigarette lighter adapter with shock plate, a car cassette adapter, and an infrared remote control. Unfortunately the rechargable batteries no longer hold a charge so this thing will have to be plugged into the wall or a cigarette lighter, I am including the batteries for some historical value. Also due to the age of this unit, it has become somewhat sensitive, but when placed on something solid, this thing still works like a champ. The original retail on these items when added together was over $500.00, but I am listing this with no reserve. Please check out my other auctions.
Here are some of the features:
Sony D-555:
8 times oversampling
Dual D/A Converter System
Built-In Digital Signal Processor with:
Digital Graphic Equalizer
Digital Surround
Digital Bass Boost
Digital Dynamic Sound
Optical Digital Output Jack
Remote Jack
Track/Time Display Window
DC In 9V Jack
Line Out Jack
Digital Signal Processor Display Window
Headphone Jack
Sony Vinyl Case with strap

AFTER:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1
SONY VINTAGE DISCMAN PORTABLE CD PLAYER 555 D555 D-555
COMPLETE COLLECTION + FREE SHIPPING with INSURANCE Item number: 9715947020
Time left: 6 days 3 hours
Current bid: US $565.55
End time: Apr-30-06 20:20:26 PDT (6 days 3 hours)
Shipping costs: FREE
US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Middletown, PA, United States
High bidder: andymaonline ( 1 )
Starting time: Apr-20-06 20:20:26 PDT
Starting bid: US $1.00
Duration: 10-day listing
Seller: fira1026 ( 81)
Member: since Jan-15-04 in United States
Condition: Used
This auction is for Sony Discman D555.
The COMPLETE COLLECTION
Serial NO. 64960 - Made in Japan
Yes, if you are the fan of sony vintage portable cd player, you must know the great D555. If you don't know it then this item is not for you.
Needless to type too much. The picture says everything. Item is in perfect working condition. Miss this one, you may wait for another couple of years. Item is sold as is due to its age.
I also have an auction for PORTA CORDA MKIII USB which i used to pair the D555. Take a look if you are interested.
HaPpY BiDiNg.

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #34 of 47
Well, the price has dropped dramatically after a bid retraction...

Although, looking at it from the other side - You now know how much the current high bidder has put in as his high bid...

...Even if it wasn't already ludicrously priced - You'd know not to bid!!

May 7, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #35 of 47
Ah, imho, so YOU'RE jtkunyc. Grr...eating up all the PCDPs
frown.gif

I can't afford these prices you subject me to
frown.gif

May 7, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Ah, imho, so YOU'RE jtkunyc. Grr...eating up all the PCDPs
frown.gif

I can't afford these prices you subject me to
frown.gif

LOL, yes, caught red-handed...If you wanted a PCDP and I jacked the price up to buy it, let me know and I will just sell it to you for your asking price (especially that ones I have multiples of...)
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172916

Yeah, but I am pretty much done with the PCDP stuff. I have spent in excess of $2,500 and went from having just 3 PCDPs to over 30 PCDPs in just over a month period... a bit excessive. Besides, it has put a strain on my relationship. I have been getting AT LEAST one, if not more, PCDPs per day and it has come to a point where I don't know which item is from whom. I ate in to my vacation money and savings and that bums me out.

I also experienced a VERY nasty deal with a guy who lives in the Czech Republic (e-bay I.D. Kristall-Kunst) who claims to be from Germany who TOTALLY screwed me over.

I had a few unpleasant experiences on Head-Fi as well, from people who caught up with the fact that I was a newbie and that I was willing to dish out the $$$. (*BEFORE you start dealing with other Head-Fiers, do TONS of research...not that hard to do; read postings, feedbacks, threads, go on e-bay...quite a few...to my dissapointment... are here to make $$$ and NOT interested in the wellfare of other Head-Fiers.)

All the sellers will say mint-condition, but unless the unit has NEVER been used or been out of the box (I got lucky with a D-777 <thanx again Jazzyone>and a D-T24 in that they were never used and in brand new condition), chances are the items are in worse condition than described and are USED... remember, these are not ANTIQUES, they are electronic "PORTABLE" players...with OLD technology.

I just spoke with insomniac and he wants $8,000 for his entire collection of 90+ PCDPs... I just don't have that kind of cash on me...

I collect a lot of items and some (first-day issue stamps, sports memorabilia, limited edition collectibles) are GUARANTEED to appreciate in value...
I don't use my PCDPs, I just clean and wrap them up, so that they will stay in the same condition from the day I purchased them until the day I sell them...but I am not buying them to make money off them, if that was the case, I would be in real-estate and stocks...

However, I VERY much doubt a $25 ~ $150 item will increase in value significantly over time...whereas I have stuff that cost $5,000 couple of years ago, that I KNOW for a fact have increased significantly in value...

{To go off in a tangent and in other un-related topics...I am very disappointed about some of the topics that have been brought up in the "member's lounge" forum...I realized that I don't hang out with teenagers and do not belong in their conversations...
For crying out loud, if I had a kid when I was 20, I would have a 16 year old...No wonder I couldn't figure out WHY or WHAT some of the head-fiers were talking about...I didn't realize I would be at the opposite end of the 'generation gap'. Maybe I am just going through an early mid-life crisis.}

Anyway, getting back to PCDPs. The e-bay market seems to be drying up temporarily (have you seen the selections out there? Of course, I ONLY collect SONY's so...) and I have decided to stick to the current high end (D-NE20, D-NE10, D-NE900, D-NE920) brand new items.

I realized after making the purchases, A LOT of the so called "vintage" or "legendary" PCDPs were JUNK!
NONE of them come REMOTELY close to a full sized unit in sound quality and features. I prefer SACDs and maybe I can "dream" about portable SACDPs...

My point of this whole post is to forewarn the newbies who might get wrapped up in this whole "PCDP Collection" frenzie. There have been NUMEROUS threads related to this topic and I should have read it a few more times before I went on this mad shopping spree.
The thread that got me started:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153017
plus these
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=vintage+pcdps
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43218
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...legendary+PCDP

"A collection SHOULD be a collection"; in other words, a collection should consist of getting a rare item worth SOME value over a lengthy period of time. Most of my other collections have been over a period of 20+ years...

ALL my PCDPs except for 3 are from the past month. THAT I call impulsive spending...NOT collecting... although being able to get ALL 3 D-EJ900/905 that showed up on e-bay was fun...talk about an adrenaline rush...

Any kind of hobby should NOT entail a sense of regret or guilt, which I am feeling right now.

So all the newbies who are considering joining the ranks of Carlflow, Pappucho, Insomniac, Filburt, Audiofiler, Warubozu, Purk...

(I) It is NOT a cheap hobby
(II) Prices WILL go up and down
(III) LUCK plays a key role (a non-head-fier who just wants to get RID of a PCDP will sell it to you for dirt cheap~ I got a D-EJ900 for $50)
(IV) There ARE mean people out there who are there to buy them cheap and sell it at a high premium to suckers like me (e-bay I.D.: chrisnh911)

and last but not least:

(V) DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE HYPE~ but remember to have fun!

May 8, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #37 of 47
There are a few new names to eBay and Head-Fi over the last month, not mentioning names or id's but there are new sharks in the water,
no one is dumb or stupid or anything people are referring to..

Ask anyone that has dealt with me, not really looking to make cashola, just spreading the music around//

contrary to what some may think - I am not a reseller of vintage units or hording vintage units for any meets in AZ
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
..if anyone is looking for a particular model, feel free to PM me. Basically I A/B different models and makes, and have owned many of the the best at one time...

Have been hunting/collecting/working on these things for over 15 years..and am not out to outbuy, out collect, or outwit any potential buyer..
have followed this site as reader/student for over 6 years before finally logging in and participating here...there are some knowledgable fellows here in the way of vintage portables, DYI, and electronics engineering.

Vintage units are fun to use because of their small footprint and sweet looks, but much better transports can be obtained as anyone would know for similar or slightly higher price..

this being said, I am fond of several select players, and these are contraty to the ones most other people enjoy ironically..

My Denon 150 I sold boxed new a few years back, and my like new unit I gave to my friend in NYC to use (so I could have a transport when I go out to Brooklyn
smily_headphones1.gif
) saying ... anyway, this because of the way it looked, even though a better LO than the 303, personally with my equip, the 303 mates better than the Denon unit (which I know is a slightly more refined, stronger unit on par with a home player)

anyway, point being, if anyone is having difficulties finding a specific unit email me, may be able to assist,

word

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
LOL, yes, caught red-handed...If you wanted a PCDP and I jacked the price up to buy it, let me know and I will just sell it to you for your asking price (especially that ones I have multiples of...)
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172916

Yeah, but I am pretty much done with the PCDP stuff. I have spent in excess of $2,500 and went from having just 3 PCDPs to over 30 PCDPs in just over a month period... a bit excessive. Besides, it has put a strain on my relationship. I have been getting AT LEAST one, if not more, PCDPs per day and it has come to a point where I don't know which item is from whom. I ate in to my vacation money and savings and that bums me out.

I also experienced a VERY nasty deal with a guy who lives in the Czech Republic (e-bay I.D. Kristall-Kunst) who claims to be from Germany who TOTALLY screwed me over.

I had a few unpleasant experiences on Head-Fi as well, from people who caught up with the fact that I was a newbie and that I was willing to dish out the $$$. (*BEFORE you start dealing with other Head-Fiers, do TONS of research...not that hard to do; read postings, feedbacks, threads, go on e-bay...quite a few...to my dissapointment... are here to make $$$ and NOT interested in the wellfare of other Head-Fiers.)

All the sellers will say mint-condition, but unless the unit has NEVER been used or been out of the box (I got lucky with a D-777 <thanx again Jazzyone>and a D-T24 in that they were never used and in brand new condition), chances are the items are in worse condition than described and are USED... remember, these are not ANTIQUES, they are electronic "PORTABLE" players...with OLD technology.

I just spoke with insomniac and he wants $8,000 for his entire collection of 90+ PCDPs... I just don't have that kind of cash on me...

I collect a lot of items and some (first-day issue stamps, sports memorabilia, limited edition collectibles) are GUARANTEED to appreciate in value...
I don't use my PCDPs, I just clean and wrap them up, so that they will stay in the same condition from the day I purchased them until the day I sell them...but I am not buying them to make money off them, if that was the case, I would be in real-estate and stocks...

However, I VERY much doubt a $25 ~ $150 item will increase in value significantly over time...whereas I have stuff that cost $5,000 couple of years ago, that I KNOW for a fact have increased significantly in value...

{To go off in a tangent and in other un-related topics...I am very disappointed about some of the topics that have been brought up in the "member's lounge" forum...I realized that I don't hang out with teenagers and do not belong in their conversations...
For crying out loud, if I had a kid when I was 20, I would have a 16 year old...No wonder I couldn't figure out WHY or WHAT some of the head-fiers were talking about...I didn't realize I would be at the opposite end of the 'generation gap'. Maybe I am just going through an early mid-life crisis.}

Anyway, getting back to PCDPs. The e-bay market seems to be drying up temporarily (have you seen the selections out there? Of course, I ONLY collect SONY's so...) and I have decided to stick to the current high end (D-NE20, D-NE10, D-NE900, D-NE920) brand new items.

I realized after making the purchases, A LOT of the so called "vintage" or "legendary" PCDPs were JUNK!
NONE of them come REMOTELY close to a full sized unit in sound quality and features. I prefer SACDs and maybe I can "dream" about portable SACDPs...

My point of this whole post is to forewarn the newbies who might get wrapped up in this whole "PCDP Collection" frenzie. There have been NUMEROUS threads related to this topic and I should have read it a few more times before I went on this mad shopping spree.
The thread that got me started:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153017
plus these
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43218
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...legendary+PCDP

"A collection SHOULD be a collection"; in other words, a collection should consist of getting a rare item worth SOME value over a lengthy period of time. Most of my other collections have been over a period of 20+ years...

ALL my PCDPs except for 3 are from the past month. THAT I call impulsive spending...NOT collecting... although being able to get ALL 3 D-EJ900/905 that showed up on e-bay was fun...talk about an adrenaline rush...

Any kind of hobby should NOT entail a sense of regret or guilt, which I am feeling right now.

So all the newbies who are considering joining the ranks of Carlflow, Pappucho, Insomniac, Filburt, Audiofiler, Warubozu, Purk...

(I) It is NOT a cheap hobby
(II) Prices WILL go up and down
(III) LUCK plays a key role (a non-head-fier who just wants to get RID of a PCDP will sell it to you for dirt cheap~ I got a D-EJ900 for $50)
(IV) There ARE mean people out there who are there to buy them cheap and sell it at a high premium to suckers like me (e-bay I.D.: chrisnh911)

and last but not least:

(V) DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE HYPE~ but remember to have fun!

Hey all,
watch out for this guy..Seriously!!

I emailed this headfi member on eBay kindly about a D-515 he was winning that I was interested in winning too. Because I did not want to bid against a head fi member and because jtkunyc was winning the auction (this eBayer has 10 bid retractions in 6 months)...this person maliciously emailed me like 13 times with the use of strong profanity and a very rude personality..

Just fyi to all
blink.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
You mean IMHO? I find that hard to believe. Did you tick him of or something

(DOH!!) Just came back to this thread to edit my post, because am not trying to start a post war here buy you had already replied to my quote unfortunately..

If you want the details, I would be happy to email you the string...PM me your email address...
you have been warned
tongue.gif

Hey, none of my business, but the reply I received upon contacting this eBay member, whom I knew to be a headfi person, was unacceptable and was without couth or compromise in its form, unfortunately..

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 47
WOW. You PCDP collectors sure know your stuff. I recently got a brand new D-25s for the price of $0.00. That's right - not a typo - I got it for free!!! How? Thanks to the generosity of another headfier!
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #42 of 47
Indeed, karma doesn't always have to be a, um, fickle mistress.
biggrin.gif
grats on the D25, that's a nice lil PCDP!

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Indeed, karma doesn't always have to be a, um, fickle mistress.
biggrin.gif
grats on the D25, that's a nice lil PCDP!

Indeed. I was excited about getting it too. I have barely plugged it in and the sound has blown me away. Never thought these old PCDP were THAT good. Needless to say - I am very happy with it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Hey, none of my business, but the reply I received upon contacting this eBay member, whom I knew to be a headfi person, was unacceptable and was without couth or compromise in its form, unfortunately..

He (imho) strikes me as having a *very* manic-depressive type personality. I could be wrong of course... don't mean to flame anyone, just a possible explanation for the response you received.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He (imho) strikes me as having a *very* manic-depressive type personality. I could be wrong of course... don't mean to flame anyone, just a possible explanation for the response you received.

Perfect I couldn't of said it better. I didn't know he started all this. He the running up the CD player. I think he has many ebay names and my computer received a virus when things didn't work out.
Anyone tell us how much to spend is out of there mind. Its are money if that's the way we spend it so what. It been a free County last time I check. Audiofiler sorry I haven't been around to have your back on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back