funny things in Goodguys ad
Dec 5, 2001 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
I was reading a goodguys ad today and I noticed some funny things.

Sennheiser HD570s are described as headphones designed to work with all equipment with a boosted upper frequency for increased transparency and clearer violins.

Isn't that sales speak for efficient bright phones?
wink.gif

Then I saw a whole page of bose speakers that prided themselves in having their drivers pointed in different angles to spray sound all over the room. Isn't that what's to be avoided with speakers?

OK, so it wasn't that funny. Sorry to disappoint.

Dec 6, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Then I saw a whole page of bose speakers that prided themselves in having their drivers pointed in different angles to spray sound all over the room. Isn't that what's to be avoided with speakers?

Haha, that's marketing. I think Bose's message should be like this. "In a typical hifi system, you have one sweet spot in the room. But with our TECHNOLOGY, you can hear sweet music all over the room. Isn't it great?."

Obviously, "all" is better than just "one," but how many consumers know "one" is better than "all" in Hifi!!!

Dec 6, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
Whats funny to me is people believe this kind of advertising.

Thats why there's so many Bose owners...advertising, blah
tongue.gif

George

Dec 6, 2001 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Obviously, "all" is better than just "one," but how many consumers know "one" is better than "all" in Hifi!!!

Hah! "One" is NOT good, either! But "all" is crappier, still!

In a typical pair of speakers that are placed at typical distances from each other, there is only "one" sweet spot - the size of a pin! And if you move even an inch from that pin-sized "sweet spot", the ENTIRE system will sound HORRIBLE (or at least you'll hear sound from only one channel of your system)! (If that were TRULY the case, then the typical hi-fi owner had placed the speakers TOO ********* FAR apart! That screws up the stereo imaging BIG TIME!! Ideally, the stereo pair of speakers - the "front" channels - shoud be placed about as far from each other as they are from you the listener. That way you'll have some room to move around in your speaker listening area. But don't put the speakers waaaaaay too close to each other; you'll end up with "stereo" sound that's essentially mono.) But sound spraying in "all" directions opens up a different can of worms - including, but not limited to, artificial-sounding resonances caused by room reflections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back