Funny Observation
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
So I was looking through the Staples Ad and noticed the Solo Beats by Dr. Dre are $180, and it made me laugh. Apparently, if your headphones are a fashion accessory, then $180 is a perfectly reasonable price (seems like every kid around this town has a pair), but if you spend $180 for headphones because they sound good, (by most accounts) you're crazy!

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
It's not too bad, at least the mainstream people are more willing nowadays to shell out for more expensive audio gear, even if for the wrong(?) reasons.

this is true.

and some companies are just beginning to fill that market of the 200 to 400$ portables, beyerdynamis is at least. ultrasone did it long ago. if someone can hand off 400$ for a beat, why cant they do the same for a beyer or a senn?

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
It's not too bad, at least the mainstream people are more willing nowadays to shell out for more expensive audio gear, even if for the wrong(?) reasons.

I don't know about that... The industry isn't completely stupid. If people are willing to spend more on a headphone as a fashion accessory, then we'll just have more fashion accessories that cost a lot. It wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on sound quality, and when you throw in tight margins and cost cutting, it could mean worse sound quality since that isn't something that most of these people actually care about. The market may become saturated with headphones that play only one bass note, a bunch of shrilly treble and nothing else since that's what most of these idiots car stereos sound like.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I don't know about that... The industry isn't completely stupid. If people are willing to spend more on a headphone as a fashion accessory, then we'll just have more fashion accessories that cost a lot. It wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on sound quality, and when you throw in tight margins and cost cutting, it could mean worse sound quality since that isn't something that most of these people actually care about. The market may become saturated with headphones that play only one bass note, a bunch of shrilly treble and nothing else since that's what most of these idiots car stereos sound like.

They just have to sound a little better than stock buds to get the upgrade spiral started in anyone who's already vulnerable too it like we are.  Of course, that's not everyone, but I've seen people on here who started off with the Beats and then "upgraded" to something cheaper but not covered with a side of celebrity branding that they liked better.

Incidentally, even a celebrity branded 'phone has to sound better than stock buds, at least to its target audience, so it can fulfill it myth of being "the way Dre wanted you to hear it" or whatever.  That myth won't survive contact with a humble M50, but for the blissfully ignorant it just has to surpass ibuds.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 14
I was just thinking of using my HD600s as a portable phone today.  You know, at the beach, taking a walk, that sort of thing.  Bet it would convert some of these Dr. Dre protegés I see every other block of this city.

Edit: I actually just did.  Sublime walk.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I was just thinking of using my HD600s as a portable phone today.  You know, at the beach, taking a walk, that sort of thing.  Bet it would convert some of these Dr. Dre protegés I see every other block of this city.

IDK man, as much as I love my grados, i rarely take them out of my office or house, imagine the beach and all that sand flying around...

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 14
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

I've done this!  It's easy with the iBasso PB1 and a Clip+ strapped to it...  Fits in my pocket or an outer pocket on my laptop bag.  You do look more than a bit geeky with them, in a very, very odd way.  TBH though, I usually end up taking the MS-1i whenever I want to travel lighter - and actually, there's very few times where I don't take the MS-1i with me if I have the HD 600.  It allows me to share the goodness with a friend.

Well, to be honest when I go on walks, bikes, etc. for pleasure I like to hear real life sounds, but for on the bus, walking around the city, or at a desk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back