Funny, my MG Head sounds different!
Sep 25, 2001 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jaskin

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got back from this audio store near my place with an MG Head DT! This amp rocks! I was amazed by the clarity and sound reproduction on Etymotic 4S when I auditioned for the amp at the store. I bought the amp right away but they didn't have any in stock but they lent me their demo amp first until the new shipment comes.
When I got back with the demo MG Head DT I pluggged it with my cd player and I listened. The results this time are far from what I heard in the store. In fact I find the music now more distant and not as upfront as I heard in the store.
Any idea why this might be so?

Here's the store's setup:
Rega Jupiter CDP
Cardas Power Cord
Kimber Kable Silver Streak Interconnects
Lightspeed power conditioner.

Here's my setup:
Arcam Alpha 9 CDP
Normal Power Cord (as supplied)
DH Lab Silver Sonics BL-1 0.5m
Surge Protector (<-- Power Source)

What might I be able to do to regain the former sonic reproduction I encountered when I was auditioning the amp? Would a Blue Circle BC-86 Noise Hound improve the sound? Better Interconnects? Please Help

Sincerely
Jason

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 10
It is unquestionably the source/IC components... try switching these and figure out which one is problematic...

Though tubes too could be a problem... One of my 12AX7s sounds very distant (but is great for non vocals) and my other sounds more forward (better for vocals, not as good for non vocals)...

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jmpsmash
not broken in? especially when you are talking about tubes. leave it on constantly for 100 hours or so, and you should hear a difference...

Hi,

I brought back home the demo unit so I guess the tubes were broken in previously already.

J

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 10
I second Wing's suspect list, though I'd also check out the power cord.

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi,

The Cd Player is also my prime candidate for the difference. It's the source of the music and i guess that's the most important. I guess the Jupiter and the Alpha 9 are just 2 different CDPs.

Cheers
J

Sep 25, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
Here's the store's setup:
Rega Jupiter CDP
Cardas Power Cord
Kimber Kable Silver Streak Interconnects
Lightspeed power conditioner.

Here's my setup:
Arcam Alpha 9 CDP
Normal Power Cord (as supplied)
DH Lab Silver Sonics BL-1 0.5m
Surge Protector (<-- Power Source)

It's not any one thing, it's the whole combination. The Jupiter is a primo CDP. Kimber Kable Silver Streak are pretty insane also, although what you have is no slouch. The Jupiter/silver combination is a really good combination, the darker, beefier-yet-with-low-body-fat sound of the Jupiter is a nice compliment for silver IC's. The Arcam constantly rates highly, yet I was never a fan of it. Just my personal preferences.

But the truth of the matter is the whole system's synergy just tramples yours..._to your ears_. I would buy their whole system, since you know you liked it, if at all possible. The Rega Planet is a nice compromise on the Jupiter without giving up too much...except the price. Can't make any other recommendations. You may also want to hook up your MG Head to a power conditioner.

Sep 25, 2001 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

The Rega Planet is a nice compromise on the Jupiter without giving up too much...except the price.

I've talked to several people who feel the Jupiter is one of the finest CDPs at any price, while they weren't that impressed with the Planet -- they preferred the MF A3CD and even the Sony 333ES.

Sep 25, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I've talked to several people who feel the Jupiter is one of the finest CDPs at any price, while they weren't that impressed with the Planet -- they preferred the MF A3CD and even the Sony 333ES.

This is what I have been reading as well. The Jupiter is the real deal, while the Planet is a very nice entry level hi-fi player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back