Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
I sure hope its pure oxygen free copper
rolleyes.gif

Maybe the outer foil "wrapper" is.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 28
just remember for proper operation it needs to be set in specially treated wood and rubbed with an antistatic cloth twice during each song.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #18 of 28
Looks like it comes with it's own piggy-back power supply.
Think there might be a tiny fusion reactor in there?
rolleyes.gif

"My god, it's full of stars!"
-David Bowman

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #21 of 28
I, Tom, mock that crap and you can do just as good or better for much less. I mock that site altogether though, because most stuff on their is just snake oil or ridiculously priced components. They annoy my face.
plainface.gif
<- like so
They really do prey on people who don't DIY and want better components (by means of more expensive, the "better"). We have the knowledge to do this kind of stuff ourselves though, and in a much cheaper fashion
smily_headphones1.gif

~Tom

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 28
we don't mock them because we know what's in it. Anybody who would pay $100+ for the OPA627 should be killed many times over.

That said they are just selling for inflated prices not hiding whats inside it and then claiming it is the second comming of Jesus.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...ry_Code=OPAMPS

Funny that no one mocks Audiocom products even though they have similar designs.

That isn't what that auction was about. They were charging over a $100 for some special noname opamp or something like that. But even those Audiocom's are a bit of a rip off, two OPA627's cost about $60-$70. They're tacking on a hefty premium for the mounting and soldering.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #25 of 28
Oct 24, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
That isn't what that auction was about. They were charging over a $100 for some special noname opamp or something like that. But even those Audiocom's are a bit of a rip off, two OPA627's cost about $60-$70. They're tacking on a hefty premium for the mounting and soldering.

One OPA627 costs almost 19$. Two cost 38$ plus the adapter which usually goes around $. If you add shipping, equipment investment and other similar costs, plus an assembly fee you'll find that it is not so expensive.

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
One OPA627 costs almost 19$. Two cost 38$ plus the adapter which usually goes around $. If you add shipping, equipment investment and other similar costs, plus an assembly fee you'll find that it is not so expensive.

There are two kinds of OPA627, A and B. The B's cost about twice that of the A, ahh, looking at Digikey, the B version is around $26. Now that SMD mount adapter is cheap too, you can get a single SMD to DIP-8 Browndog adapter for $5, individually. So even if they used the B chips, that would be about $55 in parts plus the two caps I see on there, so I would say about $56 in parts. But Digikey only lists the A version as coming in a SOIC package. So really, you're paying about $42 in parts and $76 for their labor plus what ever they charge for shipping and handling. That's pretty ridiculous for the labor, it only takes a minute to solder those suckers down. They are marketing these as direct replacements for stock opamps so these are just drop in replacements, nothing engineered.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back