Funkiest Guitar Store in NYC - Dan's Chelsea Guitars
Aug 2, 2005 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
How come I never heard of this place?

Ever pound the pavement aimlessly in the city and just come across a gem? Well that's what I did on Monday and I stumbled across this amazing vintage and repair shop. The eye candy in the window was amazing...

Insert Eye Candy Here

And Dan was very cool with a hack like me - I came in to buy a pack of Ernie Balls for my Les Paul, and his eyes almost popped out of their sockets when I told him I haven't given it a tune up since '98 and it was just lying under my bed. We had a nice chat about amps (my 100W solid state hybrid beasty is too much wattage for the wife, i wouldn't mind getting a small tube practice amp if i ever get serious) and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend a place that keeps an open mind for mere mortals like myself, while he's listening to Los Lobos and mentioning that he geared them up with Les Pauls on their last tour, and can do "Clapton better than Clapton now, like Bluesbreakers era!"
wink.gif

This guy loves music, the gear, and the musicians that play em. Two thumbs up!

Edit - one more thing, if he can't help you, he'll let you know, AND he'll try to send you somewhere where you can get some help. In the span of 10 minutes I heard him refer folks to Guitar Center "It's on 14th 'tween 5th and 6th, you can get a Recorder there for your kid" and even Ebay "check out Ebay for a while, see what that amp goes for, and you can snag a sale where folks are willing to pick it up here in NYC" - Very generous with advice!

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumas045 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the guy playing Who Knows by Hendrix?

I think so, and far better than I can hehe!

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Mmm, black Les Paul. I'm going through a serious black guitar thing right now. I'm thinking about going for this next...

NoNeck_Black_R29484combo.jpg

It's just so damn badass.....

How big is the selection at that shop? Good prices?

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 10
cool.. Yeah heres my fave 2 shops.

http://www.gelbmusic.com/

I love their used swap/shop. I bought some vintage Morley stomp boxes here, and the shop owner is a big tube tube amp DIY guy. He helped my friend with an EL84 amp build project. They also stock all kinds of parts and hard to find hardware.

http://www.guitarshowcase.com/

This place has 1000s of rare vintage instruments for sale. My faves are a randy Rhoads polka-dot V and the guild Brian May Red Specials. I really like their repair staff too, very helpful.

Garrett

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 10
That video makes me so glad I just bought a badass black LP on ebay...

bd96_12.JPG

If you guys are ever in London you should check out denmark st, it's fantastic. Pretty much everyone down there is great; can get a bit touristy at weekends though, and the shops ain't cheap. I buy all my guitar gear from the US
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 10
my friend has a champ, those are great little amps, and wail too when you close mike em!

and nice deadly black beauty score on ebay - love those knobs!

i just scored two russian made EH stomp pedals from a pawn shop in delaware - a Big Muff Pi and a Small Stone, 30 bucks each. Not that I can use them well, but hey it will add some color to my chicken scratchin'!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back