Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Jul 23, 2007 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stewgriff

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard of this album? I dunno if it's famous or whatever (I hadn't heard of it before random Web surfing), but I picked it up after hearing about the guitar solo on the title track. I hadn't really gone into funk beyond the obvious James Brown hits, so I didn't really know what to expect.

What an album. Everyone has to hear the guitar solo here. Apparently, after some trippy mythology, George Clinton told guitarist Eddie Hazel to play like his mother just died, and he rolled with it. Truly heart-wrenching music, accented by haunting arpeggios; Hazel's soloing is Hendrixesque but really right up there with the best that Hendrix ever did. Not to say the other stuff isn't bad, either. It's a wild mix of gospel, soul, and funk rock, but a lot more rock than I expected, especially on Super Stupid. There's some fun gospel, too, in Can You Get To That. Doesn't sound too dated either, at least for me (a classic rock fiend). The only skippable track is the closer, 10 minutes of dated funk jam, weird George Clinton yelling, farts (
confused.gif
), and random sound effects. But just for the opening track, an essential. Can't believe I haven't heard of this before...

Bonus: it seems well-recorded to me, if not truly audiophile. Lots of echoes and effects to test out soundstage. Also, awesome album cover.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Maggot Brain is just one of those 'important' albums. It was the epitome of Funkadelic's funk/psychedelia fusion. "Hit It and Quit It" and "Super Stupid" are my faves, but there's lots of wilder psychedelia, if that gets you more than the funk.

As for Funkadelic albums of the period, I prefer the playfulness, pop-hooks and funkier vibe of "Standing on the Verge of Getting It On". "Red Hot Mama," "Alice in My Fantasies" and "Sexy Ways" are poptacular and get your finger stinky. Plus, "Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of B!tch in Him" is a hoot'n'a'holler.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm also looking at One Nation Under A Groove. Any thoughts on that?

Just for kicks, the album cover:

funkadelic~_maggotbra_102b.jpg

Tell me that's not an awesome cover...

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 10
this title track says it all...it sums up everything that is and wlll ever be,..funk.

The debut album is also incredible...I have the one with 'Butt-To-Butt Resusitation' on vinyl too...llll nice llll!!!!

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Eddie Hazel is the only one I have ever heard, who was as good as Hendrix at rock-funk. When I heard that solo, I knew that there was finally someone who could really do the Hendrix sound and Eddie could do his own sound as well. Then I found out the bad news. Eddie was dead. The world lost another super creative guitarist! :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking at One Nation Under A Groove. Any thoughts on that?

IMO One Nation Under a Groove is where Funkadelic started to morph into Parliament, more emphasis on Funk and theatrics and less emphasis on psychadelia - I prefer the earlier stuff

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 10
3 shows on shnflac.net right now, 1 show on tradersden.org.

http://shnflac.net/details.php?id=d1...a7757078f905b8

Parliament Funkadelic
1976.xx.xx
Denver, CO

SBD>liberated bootleg "Rocky Mountain Shakedown">?>CD

Children of Production
Mothership Connection
Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
Dr. Funkenstein
Coming 'Round the Mountian
Give Up the Funk>
Get Off Your Ass and Jam>
Night of the Thumpasaurus People
Cosmic Slop
Red Hot Mama
Let's Take It To the Stage>
Take Your Dead Ass Home
Do That Stuff

Parliament Funkadelic
1977.xx.xx
New York City, NY

SBD>liberated bootleg>?>CD

Mothership Connection (Star Child)
Dr. Funkenstein
Do That Stuff
Standing On the Verge Of Getting It On>
UnDisco Kid
Getten To Know You
Coming 'Round the Mountain
Maggot Brain>
Good To Your Earhole

Parliament Funkadelic
1977.xx.xx
Houston, TX

SBD>liberated bootleg "Houston, We've Got A Problem">?>CD

Intro>
Cosmic Slop
Let's Take It To The Stage
Do That Stuff
Gamin' At Ya
Standing On the Verge Of Getting It On
The Undisco Kidd>
Children of Production
Mothership Connection
Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
Dr.Funkenstein
Coming 'Round The Mountain
P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)
Give Up the Funk
Night of the Thumpasaurus People
Funkin' For Fun

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41404

Parliament Funkadelic
1978-12-08
Jaap Eden Halle,
Amsterdam Holland

Source:"Afrolicious & The Electric *****" Big 'Fro Bootleg (BF-006)
Lineage:SBD>CD(Original Silver)>EAC(secure mode/offset correct)>aiff>shn

01. Intro
02. Cholly (Funk Gettin' Ready To Roll)
03. Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucka)
04. Night Of The Thumpasaurus Peoples
05. James Wesley Jackson Monologue
06. Standing On The Verge Of Gettin' It On
07. Mothership Connection
08. Flashlight
09. One Nation Under A Groove

Enjoy!

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Maggot Brain is one of the favourite guitar tracks, but I can't say I am a great big fan of Funkadelic or Parliament. Though I have to say I sorta like Axiom Funk's Funkcronomicon double disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back