Funk Vector??
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Duplicate, see below.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Yep. Check my signature
smily_headphones1.gif
. In the UK, it retails @ £760 excluding arm/cart.

It is very good indeed and is generally regarded as being the class leader in the sub £1k pack. Pitch stable and very little extraneous noise. It is very easy to set up but you need a good isolation platform (I use a ProJect Ground-It deluxe), a spindle spirit level is very useful for levelling as well. It is nicely finished and looks...funky!

Hi-Fi Choice magazine say they found it capable of showing improvements in cartridges up to £2k or so. I think it got a good write up in Stereophile as well although they said it might be slightly limited in LF 'clout'.

It is typically paired with Rega arms or derivative e.g. Michell Tecnoarm. My Nima works well but I had a bit of trouble in getting enough height to use with the Rondo Bronze, which is a pretty tall cart.

FYI, Funk Firm are about to launch a new TT costing about £1750 which is a higher performance version including offboard PSU. See their website.

Cheers.

PS Haven't heard the Scout, not much profile on this side of the pond

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Do you like the ProJect Ground-It deluxe?

Have you tried other isolation platforms?

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 10
The Ground-It deluxe seems to do a very good job.

I was alerted to it after reading favourable comments in Hi-Fi World and Stereophile. They felt it cut down noticeably on background 'hash'. I use it with 3 spikes inserted on top of an Ikea Lack table (you can easily switch to a 4 spike config if you wish). It is very nicely finished in black piano.

It uses a powder compound to reduce resonance and comes bundled with the ProJect RPM10 turntable.

I don't have much experience with other support furniture, although I expect at some point I will use a full rack. But I noticed Hi-Fi World used the Ground-It deluxe even when they had a RDC Aspekt rack in place, which implies it is fairly decent. I have also heard good things about the Base SP01, btw.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone heard this table? Cool retro'ish styling is interesting to me and I'm tempted to try it. I'm curious how it would compare to my Scout.

It's by Arthur Khoubesserian of Pink Triangle fame. In case you never heard of them either they were one of the top British decks of the 1980s which along with the Townshend Rock, Roksan Xerxes and Logic DM101 were all the main competitors to the Linn LP12. Pink pioneered the use of acrylic amongst other things.
Funk Firm is his new company and all their stuff has been very well reviewed in the press. I'd say it would be a definite competitor to the Scout although it's actually a bit cheaper over here. Not really an upgrade anyway.
You'd need to look at something like the Michell Gyro or Orbe which are another class up but obviously with the current state of the Sterling exchange rates you might be better off with upgrading the Scout.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did it get reviewed in Sterophile & Hi Fi World?

No separate review in Hii-Fi World but got mentioned when they did a group test which included the ProJect RPM10. They reckoned it had a very positive influence on reducing background interference, which was good enough for me!

Something similar for Stereophile.

BTW, it is rather heavy (30 lbs)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back