Fun with HDMI cables
Feb 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Yeah, they're all the same, bits are bits, digital is digital, blah, blah blah.
rolleyes.gif

There I said it already, now the usual suspects don't have to. If you want to discuss how many electrons can dance on the head of a cable, I refer you to the skeptics forum. Go argue there. If you are looking for a little bit of info on what HDMI cables might perform well, here is one Member's experience FWIW.

Anyway, in practical experience, it turns out that not all HDMI cables are the same. My eyes detect distinct personalities among the cables I tested. Here are my results. Hardly an exhaustive survey, but here ya go:

My TV is a Samsung's latest top-of-the-line 40 inch HDTV flat-panel LCD. I'll start at the bottom and work my way up.

1. Belkin AM22300. Belkin's mid-range HDMI cable. Approx. $30 on ebay, more in stores. Blacks do not get fully darkened. Colors are somewhat muted. Sound a bit damped.

2. Monster M Series M1000HD. Approx. $125. Monster's "high-end" series HDMI. BEWARE! This has been heavily knocked off by Chinese bad guys. Forget about ebay, you MUST buy from an authorized retailer and you will pay for the actual item. I ordered two of these, and they were both different in appearance; I first bought on ebay, got the product and had some doubts. Then I bought from Monster authorized retailer and received a totally different looking product. A call to Monster confirmed that the authorized cable was the real deal, the other was a fake. The lastest Monster M1000HD has black connectors (not white) and does not have the outer mesh sheath. Anyway, once assured I had the real thing, this cable was an adequate performer that excelled in some areas. This cable produces an image with insanely black blacks, very high-contrast, snappy image with vivid colors. The problem with it is that it lends an overly "digital" image quality with blocky-looking images that seemed to have some ghosting. On material where it worked well, it provided a very 3D-like image, but most of the time, I couldn't get past the hard edges and digital sheen it seemed to impart. Sound was a bit harsh and forward, but adequate.

3. Ixos HDMI cable (exact name and model unknown, but can be found here: IXOS HDMI 1.3a 1080p certified HDMI Cable 2M (6.4ft) | Accessories4less ). Costs $40. This is a very well-balanced cable. Not as vivid or 3D as the Monster, doesn't quite deliver the blackest blacks, but has a nice "analog-like" quality. It's relatively cheap and performs in a way where it won't get in the way. Sound is fairly neutral, it won't excite the ear, but doesn't have any nasties.

4. Ixos Xen HDMI. Ixos' top-of-the-line HDMI cable. Costs $109 here: IXOS XHT658 XEN TRU-HD Certified High Definition 1080p HDMI to HDMI Cable 2m | Accessories4less This is where it's at among these cables IMHO. Ultra black blacks, vivid, saturated colors, smooth motion, high resolution and an overall "analog" feel. Sound is quite natural and full. An outstanding cable.

So, FWIW, I see and hear differences between HDMI cables and among the ones I've tried, these are my findings. Hope this helps someone. Cheers.

Mark

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 9
So, did you double-b

What I'm trying to sa
and if you just take i
with the rest of the o
and that's about wha

In the end, I think yo

I'll have to try this sometime when I get a decent LCD TV going on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Taikero, your post seems to be garbled or cut off.

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and just so you all know just how crazy I am, HDMI cables do in fact have a burn-in period. Yup, that's right, it takes some time befiore they show their true/full character, you can't judge straight out of the box.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for heads-up, markl.
Nice to see another good cable from IXOS, I will keep this on the list for the day the need arises. I remember getting a big bad IXOS RGB-SCART for my first Laserdisc Player. I was afraid the massive connector would break the port out of my TV's back
biggrin.gif
It put the picture in a whole different league. It's a pity that with digital video we still need to look after the cable this much, but I guess as long as the signal is not optical good shielding and proper connectors will keep paying off.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't believe in cable burn in but a proper cable does make a difference. For digital cables I am pretty skeptical. Markl, do you hear a difference between different coaxial and optical interlinks?

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a very common problem that posts are cut in half when people use low-grade ethernet cables that cost less than $100 per meter.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and just so you all know just how crazy I am, HDMI cables do in fact have a burn-in period. Yup, that's right, it takes some time befiore they show their true/full character, you can't judge straight out of the box.

he was taking the piss; I think having a joke at the fact that he still has a regular non-widescreen TV and these are of no use to him at this time. quite witty I think and I dont think he was being negative at all.

this is interesting mark, I might have to get some HDMI blanks and have a go at making one. already just made a nice coax with good results

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 9
i'm confused... is this thread meant as a joke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back