fun, light headphones for portable usage
May 15, 2004 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

razputin

New Head-Fier
I'm a happy ety owner. Still, I cycle and jog quite a lot and feel uncomfortable with canal earphones on the road. That's why I also bought the Sennheiser mx500. They have a fine, warm sound - but feel boring as well.
I'm in love with the sound of my ety's 4P with the P2S-adapter cable, but with other people in the room it can be a hassle to pull them out everytime someone says something to you.
I sometimes listen to the Koss PortaPro and they are a nice contrast to the ety's (in being quite fun with the loud, full bass), but I hate this expandable metal frame: I never get used to expand them properly and then they stuck in my hair, which hurts :frowning2:
So what I'd like to have are some light bass heavy earphones, which can be put on and off very easily and could be used while cycling.
Btw: I didn't like the sound of the px200 too much...

Oh, and the price range: upt to $100..

May 15, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 21
"Light bass heavy" is a little confusing
wink.gif
, but what about the KSC35s? PP sound without the frame/headband issue.

May 15, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
"Light bass heavy" is a little confusing
wink.gif

What I meant, was light weight and bass heavy :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
, but what about the KSC35s? PP sound without the frame/headband issue.

I thought about them, but they seem to be a bit uncomfortable and have a plastic clip. I'm a bit worried, I could break it...

May 15, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 21
What about the KSC-55? Streetstyle band with Koss KSC-35/Porta-Pro drivers? They're also pretty cheap.

May 15, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 21
What about the PX 100? They are supposed to sound a lot like the Portapros (some people prefer them), with better bass than the PX 200. If you like the design paradigm of the PX 200 but want the sound of the Portapro, they're probably the way to go.

May 15, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 21
oddball:
I always think: there must be a reason the Koss KSC-55/50 are so much cheaper than the PortaPro's. I mean, even the SportaPro's don't get the same good reviews as the Porta's ...and all of them supposed to habe the same drivers!

lmm:
Yeah, the px100 were my first choice. But I had to return them and now I'm waiting for more than 2 months for a replacement delivery :frowning2:
I'm sick of waiting for them! Also, I read really a lot about them (I don't trust the one's I had) and some reviewers state, that their sound is "more precise and natural" than the Porta's. That's not, what I want! I have my ety's to get the most precise sound I could ever wish for. I'm looking for some cheap boomy fun
k1000smile.gif

Also I was thinking about Crados 60/80. How big are they actually?

May 15, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by razputin
oddball:
I always think: there must be a reason the Koss KSC-55/50 are so much cheaper than the PortaPro's. I mean, even the SportaPro's don't get the same good reviews as the Porta's ...and all of them supposed to habe the same drivers!

Also I was thinking about Crados 60/80. How big are they actually?

If you search through the archives here there are some posts comparing the Koss KSC-50 and 35 in great detail. Someone (was it Macdef?) took them apart and determined that the drivers were the same and the sound difference was entirely due to different fit, housings and cables. Still, others continue to disagree and say the drivers really are slightly different. But no matter what, they are all so similar that I doubt you'll be able to critique the driver nuances while out exercising. Get whichever fits you best, for me that's the KSC-55, the neckband stays in place no matter what I do.

And I can't imagine exercising with Grados on
rs1smile.gif

May 15, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 21
Does it really matter, where the sound difference comes from? As long as there is one, it will make a difference for people wanting to buy a headphone...
It really IS a pitty, I don't know of any place in the Netherlands where I could go and listen to all these headphones (I try their fit) before buying! Even if you do a lot of research, it's still other people's opinions you have to rely on!
In this sense, this is a great place
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 21
how about a pair of Grado SR-40? They look like cheap standard cans that come with a CDP, but they sound like SR60's. If you can find them, I'd get them.

Otherwise, the KSC35, KSC55 would be good options.

May 16, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 21
I agree that KSC-55 could be a very good option, though the headband is fairly snug. This of course can be a good thing for exercise, but you might find it too tight. Again KSC-35 ear clips don't have this problem, but while I find them fairly comfortable, I personally couldn't wear them jogging -- they would definitely fall off before long.

Grados aren't *too* huge, but they definitely aren't built for a lot of movement... they would certainly slip off quickly during jogging.

May 16, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 21
I jog about half an hour and Grado SR-60's stay pretty well on my head. Only problem I have is sweat getting into the pads. I make certain that the headband fits just right to make sure it has full/almost full contact with my cap with the headband. If worse came to worse, I was thinking about pinning it to a sweat band.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 21
Hi guys!

Thanks for the input: I think, I'll go for the Koss ksc35, as they are lighter than the ksc50 and seem to sound just like the PortaPro's. And I'll also keep waiting for the Sennheiser, we'll see, whether they'll arrive while I'm on vacation or even later :wink:

May 16, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 21
The ksc-35s are better balanced than the porta pros IMO, and its sound is absolutely incredible for the money. I've yet to hear a more "fun" sounding headphone at any price. Lightweight, good bass, fun sounding, and stays on very well, at least for me - the ksc-35 fits your bill perfectly. If your ears are fine with the clips, then you'd love it for sure.

May 16, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 21
You do realise that the ksc35 can only be ordered from the Koss website? Shipping and taxes makes it quite expensive. Ask how much shipping to the Netherlands is before you order.

I hope that your PX100s get fixed soon. They sounds exaclty like what you're looking for.

The Grado's are big and too expensive in the Netherlands. If you want them go for the Alessandro MS1. These are alomst the same as the GRado sr125 but cost just $99 shipped. Even if customs pics it up you won't pay as much as for the sr60s.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back