Fun iem? U12T Mest mkII Monarch
Dec 12, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 29
What's your source? It could be a simple mis-match in sound signatures. Some iems and some daps don't gel well because they either over-emphasise the same parts of the sound signature or go the other way and cancel out each others strengths.
IMO in general Sony's tend to be warm, Astell and Kern neutral/analytic. Other brands range across warm/neutral axis with a focus on mids (Hiby and Cayin) bass/lower mids (Fiio) or upper mids/treble (ibasso). There'll always be variants within the range - eg the AK SR25 is quite warm.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #17 of 29
What's your source? It could be a simple mis-match in sound signatures. Some iems and some daps don't gel well because they either over-emphasise the same parts of the sound signature or go the other way and cancel out each others strengths.
IMO in general Sony's tend to be warm, Astell and Kern neutral/analytic. Other brands range across warm/neutral axis with a focus on mids (Hiby and Cayin) bass/lower mids (Fiio) or upper mids/treble (ibasso). There'll always be variants within the range - eg the AK SR25 is quite warm.
I have a Fiio m11. I’m think I’m going to try a mest mkII

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 29
Ok guys. Here is my problem. I own the Monarch. But I somehow miss something. I really like the sub bass, but I’m not to happy about the mid bass. I also don’t know what is going on with male vocals. They seem recessed. Maybe the monarch is a bit to clinical for my taste.

I listen mostly to EDM, hiphop, Hans Zimmer and electronic rock.

The monarch was my upgrade from the jvc fw01, which sound wise I really liked, they are fun. But with the JVC I never could get a great fit for my ears, couldn’t hold the seal. So I bought the Monarch.

I think I really like a DD base. But I read so many good things about the 64 audio U12T, I’m putting those on my short list. Also the Mest mkII seems to tick the right boxes. After reading a lot those are a little above the U12T now on my shortlist. I also had the Sony Ier-Z1r on my list. But read to much about horrible fits.

I’m afraid making the same mistake as with the monarch, which I thought would be my TOTL, but they are to clinical instead of fun. So maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. Maybe there is another contender to look into?
I like U12t and MEST Mk2 a lot. However for your genres, I'd suggest IER-Z1R.

My usual playlist consist of vocal, jazz, pop, rock and some acoustic instrument songs.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 29
Apologies to hijack this thread, I’m in the exact same boat (budget wise anyway). Looking at the U12T, 64 Audio Trio & IER-Z1R.

I’m exclusive rock, heavy rock, pop & country only. Looking at sound quality, comfort, isolation in that order of priority.

Any tips for the one to get ?

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 29
I am worried about the fit of the IER-Z1R. I just purchased a Mest MKII here on the forum, gonna try that first
congrats on the purchase, man!

looking forward to hearing your impressions once you receive it.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #25 of 29
Nah, prolly had crap in your ears.
Apparently. Thanks for informing me on the EJ07 construction.:ksc75smile: On a technical note they have a similar bass response to the original Monarch with less warmth/midbass than the OP is asking for. The EJ07M with significantly more midbass and might be a better choice but likely not up to the overall performance he's looking for. I suspect they kept the woofer out of the midbass on the original with some phase cancelation. Makes them sound open but lacked solidity.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #26 of 29
Yeah no, there is no phase cancellation. Just good sound. I do play metal, guitar, in a band. EJ07 for me! Sounds godlike, and very close to my own Marshall/Mesa stack in the room.

May 31, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #27 of 29
I am an Electronica guy and found my happy spot with Mest MkII. Source is Astell Kern SP2000. Great pairing in my view -
great clarity, transparency and layering, really good bass extension and fast enough for busy tracks. The fun factor got a boost with foam tips. I think the Mest MKII are very tip sensitive.

May 31, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #28 of 29
Ahhh my topic :).
I played around with the mest mkII. Nice warm sound good bass (not special imo), great stage, paires really well with my fiio.
Two months ago I bought the 64 Audio Tia Trio and the Hiby R6 2020. That combination is my sweet spot right now. The Trio has excellent bass, sub and mid bass. Great mids, and excellent highs without being harsh. Details are really good also, soundstage is not as wide as the Mest, but good enough. I tried the Trio also with my M11, but lost some details, and warmth comparing with the Hiby. If you ask me right now for a fun IEM, I would say the Trio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back