Fun closed can for rock/pop $70 and under
Nov 7, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKAL
So if closed or open was not a priority and I wanted a phone for rock/pop, would the Grado SR-60 beat the Shure E2, ATH-fc7 and Sony V6 hands down?

For rock? Yes. Grados are for the dedicated rocker.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Hmmm, maybe the Sony V6's? I think they sound great with pop music as well as rock music. Now by "fun" i'm assuming you want forward sounding headphones (ie. in your face, bright). The Sony's meet that criteria.

I was also thinking V6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Be aware that some dont like the "musicality" of V6's.

These cans are flat and a bit dry.
I love them for movies though.
Some here hate them for this very reason.

Don't rule out the Senn 650 paired with a high quality tube amp.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

How about for pop, do the SR-60s blow away the others for this music type too?

If you like "in you face" presentation, then yes. But, its extremely open.

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 42
i know that these headphones aren't that much talked about, but price and sound is one reason why i recommend the panasonic RP-HT355. they're light enough for travel and packs the punch of closed cans. plus with the $30 price tag, you won't be too disappointed when they break.

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

So if closed or open was not a priority and I wanted a phone for rock/pop, would the Grado SR-60 beat the Shure E2, ATH-fc7 and Sony V6 hands down?

I have 3 of the four mentioned, have the fc-7 coming in at the end of the week.
As far as rock and pop, the grados will probably work the best followed by the shures, the grados are more energetic. The v6 are way too analytical and offer no mids to be good for rock, maybe okay for some pop.

On a side note, I've been noticing my sr60's getting a bit gritty sounding. any reasoning behind it you may know of?

GO TEAM BBFTB!

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #26 of 42
I'll nominate V6... take the time to break them in and the upper mids mellow out considerably. Pronounced bass from about 35-65Hz. I kind of wish they had a little more extension. Fairly portable IMHO, they fold up nicely and they are very durable while folded. My 40 pound kid sat on mine and to my surprise they didnt break.

Garrett

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #28 of 42
V6s and Grados (60 or 125) are my choices for rock. To my ears, I think the V6 is most lacking in handling higher frequencies, mids are ok, and low end is very prominent. I would never use the V6 for classical or acoustic jazz, but they are pretty impressive on most other material, especially for the price.

des

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Hello guys. I've been looking for a "fun" closed can for traveling. I don't want anything too expensive; I'm thinking 70 and under. If something like the 25-SP is really that great though I'll hear you out. Any suggestions?

Oops, hope I'm not too late. The 25-SP (yes, the cheaper version =) is that great. It's like getting 80% of the real 25-1 for half the price. Portable, closed with good seal, forward sound + high sensitivity for unamped travel use. At least give it a try.

EDIT: Quote:

Do any of the closed phones in this price range come close to the SR-60s in terms of rock enjoyment and sound quality?

Not sure about fun and rock enjoyment but imo SP are more neutral and than my sr80. Sound quality is trade off between SP's better bass but less hi freq detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back