Fullsized Sound-canceling cans for $100-200
Jun 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Owndapwn

New Head-Fier
Hello, first post here.
I'm going to quote a post on Hackforums, and while they're typically good for computer hardware, they're usually useless for audio.

I'd like to formally submit to superior knowledge, so know I'm a lot less of a dick when I know I don't have to worry as much that some waste matter from the Lounge will wander in and start shouting "Dre" or "Razer."

To be honest, I haven't looked at Sony's stuff at all, which is odd seeing as my dad used to work for Sony and the house is filled with Sony electronics.

I currently have $127 in my headphone fund, and I'd like to not have to dip into my 3D printer fund, but I can spare a couple bucks if it's a push from like $160 to $180.

Thank you for the help.

If you suggest Turtle Beach, Razer, Roccat, or any other "gaming" or "surround sound" headsets, I'll surgically remove your testicals.
They're poor quality in both build and sound.
YES I can notice the difference. I am not an audiophile, but my hearing is very good.
I've tried the Razer Tiamat and they sound worse than my $20 LX-3000's. They are more comfortable, but the sound staging is worse due to the LX-3000's using USB and the Tiamat using stereo 3.5mm TRS with a ****ty in-line preamp.

I have been borrowing my friend's AKG K 240 Monitors for a while. The old ones made in Austria. 600 Ohm.
I like them, but the open back design is a problem and they have no low end.

I'll be using them for gaming, listening to music, and occasionally music production.
I have considered Bose since I often just have them on with nothing playing and I just use them as ear plugs while I photoshop.

They MUST be full-sized cans. None of that on-ear or you-can-sort-of-fold-your-ear-inside ********.

My budget is no less than $100, and no more than $200. $200 only if it's a HUGE improvement over around $180.
Ideally $140-160.

I don't need any fancy gimmicks like folding or removable TRS or anything.
They shouldn't have a battery. My mobo has no problem powering the AKG's and I have a 300w amp I can hook up to my PC via fiber.

I originally had my heart set on the Koss PRO4AAAT, but I'm reading they aren't as good as the older ones.

You may now grovel before me
Please keep fanboy arguments to a minimum and thank you for the help.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Well hello, fellow brony.

I noticed on the Amazon page, it says it has 47 kOhm impedance.
Isn't that 47,000 Ohm?
That seems ludicrously high.

Also, it's 15-28000, and while the 28k is desired, I worry the low end will be lackluster.
Perhaps my fears are unfounded, but in my experience, things do worse than advertised, so it might be 25-26k in practice.

I also am not one to buy the first thing presented.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Well hello, fellow brony.

I noticed on the Amazon page, it says it has 47 kOhm impedance.
Isn't that 47,000 Ohm?
That seems ludicrously high.

Also, it's 15-28000, and while the 28k is desired, I worry the low end will be lackluster.
Perhaps my fears are unfounded, but in my experience, things do worse than advertised, so it might be 25-26k in practice.

I also am not one to buy the first thing presented.

47kOhm?! Probably typo eh? To my memory the impedance of ATH-M50 is only 32 Ohm...

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
47kOhm?! Probably typo eh? To my memory the impedance of ATH-M50 is only 32 Ohm...

Probably, since I think that's about the electrical resistance of wood..

I've also been told by an audiophile friend that I want headphones that have at least a 200 Ohm impedance, otherwise they "clap."
I only vaguely know what he's talking about, and it sounds like a high-volume problem, which I doubt will be a problem for me, but nonetheless, I don't want to spend $160 on something that turns out wasn't as good as it should be for the same price..

I'm a nerd. I do system building.
PC parts are pretty easy to compare since it's all easily benchmarkable.
Sound isn't, so I'm kind of floundering here on all these reviews.
I'm learning sound is just a ****ed mechanism in nature.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Probably, since I think that's about the electrical resistance of wood..

I've also been told by an audiophile friend that I want headphones that have at least a 200 Ohm impedance, otherwise they "clap."
I only vaguely know what he's talking about, and it sounds like a high-volume problem, which I doubt will be a problem for me, but nonetheless, I don't want to spend $160 on something that turns out wasn't as good as it should be for the same price..

I'm a nerd. I do system building.
PC parts are pretty easy to compare since it's all easily benchmarkable.
Sound isn't, so I'm kind of floundering here on all these reviews.
I'm learning sound is just a ****ed mechanism in nature.

I am quite complete opposite from you haha... I am bad at system building xD

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 15
lol, well when you're looking for an upgrade, add me on Skype and let me know.

I was just looking at the FA-003.
It looks like it has the sound I like, but it doesn't look too comfortable to wear.
Know anything about them?

Haha...yep! Will be sure to hit you up on Skype :D not looking to upgrade at the momentum thought haha... Kind of regret getting an all-in one PC...(no CPU)

Anyway, I am not sure about the FA-003 but they recently upgraded it and it is called FA-003Ti, both are very neutral sounding kind of headphone. Never tried them so can't give a clear description but after reading several reviews, they seem reliable... Other than that pair, maybe SRH-840? I like their sound as well..

Billson :D

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Haha...yep! Will be sure to hit you up on Skype
biggrin.gif
not looking to upgrade at the momentum thought haha... Kind of regret getting an all-in one PC...(no CPU)

Anyway, I am not sure about the FA-003 but they recently upgraded it and it is called FA-003Ti, both are very neutral sounding kind of headphone. Never tried them so can't give a clear description but after reading several reviews, they seem reliable... Other than that pair, maybe SRH-840? I like their sound as well..

Billson
biggrin.gif

And no graphics, low performance RAM, and a low-speed hard drive to cut down on heat. Really, they're all the cons of a laptop and all the cons of the desktop.
The only pro for some is the touch screen.

The SRH-840, I'm reading, aren't too great with highs, I'm reading. It specifically mentioned it wasn't good for orchestral, which is actually one of my favourite genres.
I really like neutral sounding headphones. I've used ones that do lows outstandingly, and it's always sort of "..Okay..? Where's the rest of the song?"
I have a very weird and broad taste in music.. I don't think I could manage getting headphones that are only good for one genre.

I've read some reviews of both, but the FA-003 is getting the pros I'm looking for by people who aren't just saying "I own it therefore it is best."
Now if only I can find somewhere that sells them...
A site called Noisy Motel sells the FA-003Ti for $220, which is a bit over budget, but I'm not sure I would notice the difference between titanium and non-titanium drivers, so I'm not sure I can warrant the price hike.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 15
And no graphics, low performance RAM, and a low-speed hard drive to cut down on heat. Really, they're all the cons of a laptop and all the cons of the desktop.
The only pro for some is the touch screen.

The SRH-840, I'm reading, aren't too great with highs, I'm reading. It specifically mentioned it wasn't good for orchestral, which is actually one of my favourite genres.
I really like neutral sounding headphones. I've used ones that do lows outstandingly, and it's always sort of "..Okay..? Where's the rest of the song?"
I have a very weird and broad taste in music.. I don't think I could manage getting headphones that are only good for one genre.

I've read some reviews of both, but the FA-003 is getting the pros I'm looking for by people who aren't just saying "I own it therefore it is best."
Now if only I can find somewhere that sells them...
A site called Noisy Motel sells the FA-003Ti for $220, which is a bit over budget, but I'm not sure I would notice the difference between titanium and non-titanium drivers, so I'm not sure I can warrant the price hike.

If you listen to music a lot with different source + a 3D gamer, sure you can hear the differences. However, it is best to start from basis and then upgrade slowly in the future to me!

If you wanted something neutral, I can easily recommend you the MDR-7506 provided you do not mind the big roll off bass. Anyway, in terms of timbre and neutrality, FA-003 or Ti version offer one of the best and is one of the best headphone under $200-$250 headphone according to most reviews although I never try them XD

If you like how the FA-003 sound as described by the reviewers, follow your heart and get them! Sure you won't regret! :D

Lol... Mine PC actually have pretty good graphic in terms of both power and quality... And I like the big 27-inch idea! XD The only thing is yeah... RAM... 32-bit, 2x2 GB ram... It lags whenever I launch my iTunes with about 64GBs [Just recently moved my songs to somewhere]

Billson :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
If you listen to music a lot with different source + a 3D gamer, sure you can hear the differences. However, it is best to start from basis and then upgrade slowly in the future to me!

If you wanted something neutral, I can easily recommend you the MDR-7506 provided you do not mind the big roll off bass. Anyway, in terms of timbre and neutrality, FA-003 or Ti version offer one of the best and is one of the best headphone under $200-$250 headphone according to most reviews although I never try them XD

If you like how the FA-003 sound as described by the reviewers, follow your heart and get them! Sure you won't regret!
biggrin.gif

Lol... Mine PC actually have pretty good graphic in terms of both power and quality... And I like the big 27-inch idea! XD The only thing is yeah... RAM... 32-bit, 2x2 GB ram... It lags whenever I launch my iTunes with about 64GBs [Just recently moved my songs to somewhere]

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll look for the FA-003/FA-003Ti then.

I guess graphics power is relative, huh? I see a 7770 as low end graphics. xD
And if an iTunes launch is lagging, it's the hard drive.
Trust me, I notice almost zero performance gain with 16gb of RAM over when I had 8gb in normal tasks.
It isn't until I do something that makes me wish my 2500K can handle higher than 5.0GHz that I'm glad I upgraded.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 15
I'll look for the FA-003/FA-003Ti then.

I guess graphics power is relative, huh? I see a 7770 as low end graphics. xD
And if an iTunes launch is lagging, it's the hard drive.
Trust me, I notice almost zero performance gain with 16gb of RAM over when I had 8gb in normal tasks.
It isn't until I do something that makes me wish my 2500K can handle higher than 5.0GHz that I'm glad I upgraded.

Wow! If 7770 is not all that good for you, then there ain't no much stock graphic card for most PCs that work on you... XD

As for about the iTunes...I think you got the point... iTunes is always more friendly with Mac btw

Billson :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Wow! If 7770 is not all that good for you, then there ain't no much stock graphic card for most PCs that work on you... XD

As for about the iTunes...I think you got the point... iTunes is always more friendly with Mac btw

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, I'm running an overclocked 7970.
I'm on the cusp of moving out and getting a life and ****, so I bought the best when I didn't have to eat Ramen forever.
I also don't see the hype over Mac.
The hardware is **** for what you're paying for it, and I hacked the OS on my PC and it's just like Debian Linux with a Gnome GUI. Like Ubuntu, Fedora, or Mint.
Really not feeling the magic, Apple.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Yea, I'm running an overclocked 7970.
I'm on the cusp of moving out and getting a life and ****, so I bought the best when I didn't have to eat Ramen forever.
I also don't see the hype over Mac.
The hardware is **** for what you're paying for it, and I hacked the OS on my PC and it's just like Debian Linux with a Gnome GUI. Like Ubuntu, Fedora, or Mint.
Really not feeling the magic, Apple.

Personally, I find the Macbook Pro very sleek looking, nicely finished and the functions in it is very nice, very sharp display even when compared to most desktop that I happen to come across and I like the gestures of it as well. In terms of performance, battery can run out a bit too fast for 3D gaming but for surfing [which I do usually] it lasted pretty long [ about 7 hours ]. In comparison to my All-in One window PC of the same price as my Macbook, although the Macs with lesser power, it is actually more "stable". But yeah, you have to pay premium price for all the "adds" and stuff for Macs but $0 for Windows. Windows is also better for gaming XD

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Personally, I find the Macbook Pro very sleek looking, nicely finished and the functions in it is very nice, very sharp display even when compared to most desktop that I happen to come across and I like the gestures of it as well. In terms of performance, battery can run out a bit too fast for 3D gaming but for surfing [which I do usually] it lasted pretty long [ about 7 hours ]. In comparison to my All-in One window PC of the same price as my Macbook, although the Macs with lesser power, it is actually more "stable". But yeah, you have to pay premium price for all the "adds" and stuff for Macs but $0 for Windows. Windows is also better for gaming XD

I have used Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10 through 13.04 (That's all versions from November 2009 through April 2013), Fedora 15, Fedora 18, Mint 15, FreeBSD, Backtrack 4 & 5, and OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion, and I can honestly say that of all the operating systems I've used, OS X and has been the least innovative and the clunkiest.
Mint has honestly been the best operating system I've ever used.
If there was a Linux version of iTunes, I would import my library file to Mint, put Mint on my SSD and enjoy my four second boot time, and use Windows for gaming and little else.

I actually don't know what I'll use Mac for. It's a poorly assembled Linux without the speed or possibilities.
It's as slow and bloated as Windows, but without the compatibility. I see no pros to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back