Full volume at high gain setting=distortion?
Jul 24, 2007 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

surge

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

out of curiosity last night, i played some songs at max volume w the gain set to highon the tomahawk , using a grado MS2 and ipod 80gb. the songs were ripped at loseless and EQ set to off.

i realise the distortion were pretty bad at near max vol. the distortion goes off when i reduce knob to 3/4 mark.

normal behaviour? thanks

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 7
haha...seriously i doubt i will ever listen at that volume. and i wasnt torturing my ears cos i listened using aircraft attenuator....so need to go full vol and distortion came in. wasnt hurting my ears

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by surge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out of curiosity last night, i played some songs at max volume w the gain set to highon the tomahawk , using a grado MS2 and ipod 80gb.

I'm in learning mode here... So on the tomahawk, what is the difference between the gain control and the volume control? Is "gain" controlling the gain on a pre-amp and "volume" controlling the gain on the output amp?

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by surge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

out of curiosity last night, i played some songs at max volume w the gain set to highon the tomahawk , using a grado MS2 and ipod 80gb. the songs were ripped at loseless and EQ set to off.

i realise the distortion were pretty bad at near max vol. the distortion goes off when i reduce knob to 3/4 mark.

normal behaviour? thanks

the signal is clipping.

If you don't need that much voltage gain, just put it at low gain (should be in voltage follower aka buffer mode).

It technically sounds better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the signal is clipping.

If you don't need that much voltage gain, just put it at low gain (should be in voltage follower aka buffer mode).

It technically sounds better
smily_headphones1.gif

what clipping? anyway if sounded like very bad distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back