Full sized headphones with best isolation + sound + portability? Budget = up to $1000
Mar 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, I typically do not start threads like this, but I am having a tough time finding what I want in a portable headphone. I typically use IEM's, but I really want a full sized closed option as well.

They MUST have very good isolation. They MUST have a cord length that is portable. The typical 10 foot cable for a lot of full sized headphones will not do. 6 feet or less would be ideal, I think. If they do not come with a cable short enough then they need to have a detachable cable. They MUST be able to be driven by portable devices. I have no interest in carrying around portable amps and DACs.

These are to be used on public buses and trains. And when I'm out at the park reading or playing some games on my PSP, Vita, DS, or 3DS. And sometimes at work. :D

Any suggestions? I've been researching various options, but I would like to hear what Head-Fi members have to say. Budget is up to $1000. I do favor spending more like $100 - $300, but I will fork out the cash if it gets me closer to my ideal portable but full sized headphone. 

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Okay, I typically do not start threads like this, but I am having a tough time finding what I want in a portable headphone. I typically use IEM's, but I really want a full sized closed option as well.

They MUST have very good isolation. They MUST have a cord length that is portable. The typical 10 foot cable for a lot of full sized headphones will not do. 6 feet or less would be ideal, I think. If they do not come with a cable short enough then they need to have a detachable cable. They MUST be able to be driven by portable devices. I have no interest in carrying around portable amps and DACs.

These are to be used on public buses and trains. And when I'm out at the park reading or playing some games on my PSP, Vita, DS, or 3DS. And sometimes at work. :D

Any suggestions? I've been researching various options, but I would like to hear what Head-Fi members have to say. Budget is up to $1000. I do favor spending more like $100 - $300, but I will fork out the cash if it gets me closer to my ideal portable but full sized headphone. 

Thanks!

Have you looked at the Ultrasone Edition 8? That might fit the bill on the most part.

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Sony's new flagship z1000 seems to fit your criteria well except the cabling (but it's detachable).

The Z1000 is one I was just researching a little while ago. I have not been able to find many reviews on it. If the isolation is as good as Tyll says the isolation for the MDR-ZX700 is, then that may be worth a shot. I wish there was someone around Boston where I could actually TRY them first, but I do not see that happening.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 11
I have been using my pair of SRH-940 on the train with good success. The cable is long but could be cut down to size and is replaceable. I drive it with my iPhone 4 quite easily and then use my amp at home for slightly better sound. The question though is what genres do you listen to. If you have alot of music with a heavy beat that depends on big bass then I din't think these will be for you. But I your into more classical rock, classical music, folk, jazz etc then these are well worth looking at. I thought I would only use them at work and at home but I like heir sound enough I have started to use them on my commute a well. Thy are by fr he most resolving headphone I have owned.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I have been using my pair of SRH-940 on the train with good success. The cable is long but could be cut down to size and is replaceable. I drive it with my iPhone 4 quite easily and then use my amp at home for slightly better sound. The question though is what genres do you listen to. If you have alot of music with a heavy beat that depends on big bass then I din't think these will be for you. But I your into more classical rock, classical music, folk, jazz etc then these are well worth looking at. I thought I would only use them at work and at home but I like heir sound enough I have started to use them on my commute a well. Thy are by fr he most resolving headphone I have owned.

The shure srh 940s work for classic rock?

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 11
I've just posted a review of the Ultrasone Signature Pro, and they sound like exactly what you are looking for.  Full-size but light, rugged, outstanding sound quality, comfortable.  They come with a detachable longer cord with a 1/4" stereo connector, but also a detachable short cord with an 1/8" stereo connector.  They retail for $1299, but can be had for around $850 if you telephone RMC Audio (don't order thru their website).  Have a look around at what people are saying about them.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 11
I've been having a love affair with my HD25i-II for the last month. Give it a try sometime, its available pretty much everywhere. 

Isolation - check
Sound - check
Portability - runs off pretty much anything. I have no complaints at all running it out of an ipad. 

Good luck with your search. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 11
I think i found my answer. No full sized closed headphones seem to offer enough isolation for the subway train. When it goes underground I have to put the headphones on ridiculously loud levels. Found out yesterday while using my Sennheiser HD448. According to Tyll's charts it offers about a 14dB reduction overall. Not very useful.

But perhaps I can still get a closed pair for when I am enjoying some time lounging around outside. :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 11
My experience is that portable headphones don't provide enough isolation for commuting (I prefer as close to zero external noise as possible). That was with the Edition 8 and HD25 which are both pretty decent at isolating for headphones. Even universal IEMs didn't do it for me so it's customs all the way! 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 11
I think I may just go for an Audio-Tehnica ATH-M50WH (white version) and call it a day. It's not anything to rival my HD800, but it should be fine for outdoor listening. And I'll stick to my Etymotic IEM's on the train/bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back