[Full-sized Headphones][<$500] Stepping up/away from AKG 550
Oct 13, 2014 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GridIroN

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

So I got a nice paycheck and it's currently the canadian long weekend and I finally have nothing really to spend it on, so I figured I'd check to see what it would look like to step up from my AKG 550's. I do enjoy the balanced, but slightly bright sound of the AKG 550, however's the fit and seal is pretty horrible (common complaint of these cans. They were built for an elephant)

So, I'm looking for modern recommendations for a set of full sized cans, below/around $500'ish, and I lean strongly on the side of closed backs because of my living situation (people in other rooms trying to sleep don't wanna enjoy my music at 3AM...lol)

Notes:
- Closed backs would be better, but I'm open to hearing suggestions on both sides. I was looking at the HiFiMan 400i's as an open option
- They will be driven by a FiiO E10, and eventually an E10K
- They will be used for music, gaming, and media (movies/shows) 

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 4
+1 on the HE-400i as an open option.

For closed full-sized under $500, there are the beyer dtd770, beyer T70, audiotechnica ath-a900x, and Mr. Speaker's mad dog pro off the top of my head. Oppo is coming out with a new closed portable planar that is very exciting! The Oppo PM-3. No word on pricing, but probably around $500ish to compete with the HE-400i. If you want a closed pair of headphones and can wait until January, I think the Oppo PM3 would be the ones to get. They will be closed, portable, light-weight headphones that are very easy to drive. I am personally very excited about them because I love planar headphones and their PM1/PM2 had amazing build quality.

The other closed options I can think of are significantly above your price bracket with the Fostex TH700/TH900, Audeze LCD-XC, Beyer T5P. There is the new sony mdr-z7 flagship that may be closed but priced around $700 right now.

Of course, there are the closed portable $200-$400 product category with literally hundreds of different options... Sony is releasing a new MDR-1A that may be interesting. I honestly don't think any of the products in this category would be a significant sonic improvement over the K550s. The K550 is one of the best closed headphones in this price range from my experience and the other competitors are more expensive with comparable sound quality. The main difference would be variations in sound signature that is preferences-dependent.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Which part of Canada do you live in? I live in Vancouver
smily_headphones1.gif

Ottawa Ontario

+1 on the HE-400i as an open option.

For closed full-sized under $500, there are the beyer dtd770, beyer T70, audiotechnica ath-a900x, and Mr. Speaker's mad dog pro off the top of my head. Oppo is coming out with a new closed portable planar that is very exciting! The Oppo PM-3. No word on pricing, but probably around $500ish to compete with the HE-400i. If you want a closed pair of headphones and can wait until January, I think the Oppo PM3 would be the ones to get. They will be closed, portable, light-weight headphones that are very easy to drive. I am personally very excited about them because I love planar headphones and their PM1/PM2 had amazing build quality.

The other closed options I can think of are significantly above your price bracket with the Fostex TH700/TH900, Audeze LCD-XC, Beyer T5P. There is the new sony mdr-z7 flagship that may be closed but priced around $700 right now.

Of course, there are the closed portable $200-$400 product category with literally hundreds of different options... Sony is releasing a new MDR-1A that may be interesting. I honestly don't think any of the products in this category would be a significant sonic improvement over the K550s. The K550 is one of the best closed headphones in this price range from my experience and the other competitors are more expensive with comparable sound quality. The main difference would be variations in sound signature that is preferences-dependent.

I was very interested in the Beyerdynamic T70's, but doing some research it appears people aren't very impressed with them. More talk seems to be about the T70P, which appears to not be the same and it's more for portability. Portability means nothing to me as I'm using them entirely for home use.

Opinion on the T70 (vs the K550)?

The PM3 looks interesting, although the grill on the backs of them is decieving. I would have never though they were closed unless someone told me, otherwise they clearly look open design. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back