Full sized headphone recommendations?
Nov 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nikp

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings!

I'm about to take a step into the world of full sized headphones and would love to know your recommendations. I've done some research on some unfamiliar terms and have decided that an open back, circumaural headphones would suit me nicely. As some of you may know, I have experienced some top tier IEMs but on the other hand, had never tried a pair of headphone. Comfort and sound quality (esp soundstage and detail) are one of the main factors. I'm looking for a headphone with these IEM character traits: TF10's quick and punchy bass, Shure's mids and W4's instrument separation. I don't mind a fun or neutral one. If possible, recommend me headphones that will blow me away out of the realm of IEMs.

I cannot imagine how headphones compare to IEMs in a performance vs price ratio. Budget is under $400. 

Thank you in advance. 
L3000.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 24
For $400 you are looking at an entry level full size headphone, since you said an open headphone, you have several choices here.

Beyerdynamic DT990
Denon AH-D2000 or D5000 (if budget allowed), but it's closed.
Used Sennheiser HD650

Good luck :wink:

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 24
What you're describing kind of sounds like what I wanted in headphones. I just bought my first nice pair headphones and they're still on their way so I can't say from my own opinion if they sound good, but the FA-002w (like the FA-003 but with wood cups) have pretty good recommendations for sounding very good.. and they're easily within your price range (unless you have an exotic wood fetish).

Edit: My bad, didn't see you said open (Edit again: but just so you know LFF said in his review that the FA-002w sound very open while actually being closed)... in that case the FA-002 are open, but I haven't read much about them. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 24
As far as comfort, soundstage, and detail goes, it's pretty difficult to beat a AKG K701/2 given budget. They're fairly neutral, have awesome instrument seperation but the mids can sound recessed at times depending on individual preference for mids. The AKG will also require a good amp (Burson HA-160) to make the bass department really shine.

A musical alternative would be a Beyer DT-880, which again is neutral and has great instrument separation and soundstage. The mids will improve and come VERY CLOSE to Shure's mids with a tube amp (LD MKIII will scrape in just under budget) and the bass is somewhat better than the AKG but again not fast and punchy. I would recommend getting it and in the future when you have the dime, get the JMoney leather earpads. It will improve the bass punchiness and presence dramatically in exchange for a slightly smaller soundstage and also make the DT-880s more musical overall without making it less detailed.

A Senn HD650 will give the bass and mids you want but at the price of a smaller soundstage and less detail. Honestly, I wouldn't describe the HD650's bass to be fast or punchy. It just has more presence. The comfort is also a problem for some who say the clamping force is bit too tight but in my experience (only wore it for maybe 2 hours but probably enough to cause discomfort if there is any to be had) it's not bad at all. I'd actually say the clamping force of the Senn HD650 makes it stay on my head (I have a fairly large head) better than the other two.

All three are under the price point you listed and have different sound characteristics in stock form, it just depends how you prioritize your sound requirements. All three can fit all of your sound requirements with future upgrades (i.e. earpads or amps).

I would also highly recommend auditioning them before you buy them as the Senn HD650s and moreso the AKG K701/2s are niche headphones that some to most have a fairly good reaction to and some are kind iffy and some who just plain don't like them. I'm personally kind of iffy on the Senns.

Hope you enjoy the world of headphones as much as you enjoy the world IEMs.

Edit: Canadian's suggestion of Beyer DT-990 would actually be better for your sound characteristics than the Beyer DT-880 needs but I find them slightly less detailed.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Greetings!

I'm about to take a step into the world of full sized headphones and would love to know your recommendations. I've done some research on some unfamiliar terms and have decided that an open back, circumaural headphones would suit me nicely. As some of you may know, I have experienced some top tier IEMs but on the other hand, had never tried a pair of headphone. Comfort and sound quality (esp soundstage and detail) are one of the main factors. I'm looking for a headphone with these IEM character traits: TF10's quick and punchy bass, Shure's mids and W4's instrument separation. I don't mind a fun or neutral one. If possible, recommend me headphones that will blow me away out of the realm of IEMs.

I cannot imagine how headphones compare to IEMs in a performance vs price ratio. Budget is under $400. 

Thank you in advance. 
L3000.gif

As for detail, the Grado SR325 is sooo detailed and clear, but somewhat bright and also fatiguing over long listening sessions. Also, they are not really circumaural in that the cans are round as opposed to oval and the top of the pad sits *on* the top of your ears. I still found them comfy though. But - I LOVE my Senn HD650's. They are a little warm, have nice clean bass, not boomy, great lower mids, and a little taper in the high end. They are smooooth, comfortable, and engaging. I got mine on Amazon for about $350. They are a very good all around phone, and capable of "upgrading" as your source upgrades. But - if you're using portable gear, you'll need an amp as these phones are 300 ohms.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 24
First thing - I strongly recommend that you listen first, and/or buy from a source which accepts returns.

(Buyer's remorse is very unpleasant. :p)

I suggest listening to the Grado 225i, Grado 325is, Senn 650, Beyer DT880 and 990, and AKG 701/702 --
-- using high quality recordings (i.e. no low bitrate MP3s).  
Try to use the same recordiing(s) each time, and try to listen at the same loudness as well.  
(Louder tends to sound better initially.)

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 24
If you liked the SE425 - but want better bass and top end, I'd go straight to the DT880 or the HD600.

For the record, I also had the SE425's for quite a while.

All IMO - from actually hearing them .....
DT880 mids aren't quite as forward.  The bass is extended, defined, punchy and fast.  Highs have quite a bit of sparkle and are very detailed.  Soundstage is quite good, pretty accurate, but not excessively wide or deep.  Responds really well to tubes, and helps bring the mid-range out a little.  Very slightly U shaped.

HD600 in comparison has wonderful mids, but lighter bass than the DT880, not quite as extended, but still pretty well defined.  The highs aren't as shimmery/sparkly, and not quite as detailed - but still nice and bright.  Again responds really well to tubes.  HD600 slightly more relaxed sound than the DT880.

Both are really comfortable cans to wear.  The HD600 can be a bit clampy at first - but over time it seems to relax a bit.  Both are quite neutral (not overemphasised anywhere in the spectrum).

Both need amping.

On some of the other suggestions ...... DT990 can be a fun can for Rock - remind me quite a bit of the TF10 - but definitely quite U/V shaped.  Mids are not their strongpoint and take a back seat.  I haven't spent any time with the new HD650 - but found the older ones were a little too bassy for my tastes and didn't have enough top end.  Newer HD650's may have solved this.  Great cans nevertheless - I just preferred the HD600.

Although the grados are supra-aural, I love their sound.  If you want to dip your toes in the water for very little money, order an Alessandro MS1i online - about USD 100 delivered.  It's fantastic value!  You can change things a lot with modding and they are a great complimentary can if you plan to permanently have a couple of headphones eventually.  I've now given mine a full woody along with a few other mods - and I now have 2 perfectly complimentary cans (MS1i and HD600).

If you want to try the DT880 first - give Jaben a call - ask for Josh - and see if he'd be prepared to lend you a demo set of DT880 Pros to try.  He was really good with me and I ended up buying them.  For the HD600, keep an eye on the FS forum.

If you have any more questions specifically about the DT880, HD600, or MS1i, PM me.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 24
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the great responses. What about durability / known issues on the DT880, DT990, D2000, Sennheisers and Grados?

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the great responses. What about durability / known issues on the DT880, DT990, D2000, Sennheisers and Grados?

DT880 ~ bulletproof

DT990 ~ bulletproof

Grado 325i ~ not a major dilemma but the metal cup can come away from the headband rod which can be fixed
with a spot of super glue. Every owner sooner or later experiences this.

D2000 ~ not so bulletproof, many owners experience the 'loose screw' that attaches to the headband, if dislodged
the headphones fall apart, all from this one screw. I recommend Loc-tite if you buy these.

HD650 ~ Occasional head band failure if you stretch the polymer headband too much, it fails in the middle of
the headband, very common with cheaper Sennheisers but it can happen with this number #2 flagship too.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 24
^^ (Gwarmi's post) Yup - nailed it.  DT880/990 built like tanks - especially the Pro versions.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 24
I've never had any issue with my dennon 5000s. But I do take care of my stuff and don't rough house them. I mean they are $400+ headphones so of course I'm gonna baby them. The denons are very easily customized and in doing so they sound amazing. Just by removing the cups and loosening the ear pads to tighten bass these headphones have been taken to a whole new level, open back denons (who knew). Sound stage is huge with the cups removed, mids and highs are more articulate and defined. Bass is super tight and textured. I'll be sending my cups off tomorrow to have them drilled to make this mod permanent. The Denons are well worth the money. If I'm to describe the sound signature in comparison to anything else, they now remind me of my former Sony EX1000s but without the the treble spike (at least its not as apparent) as the treble is clearly more prominent as well.

Quote:
DT880 ~ bulletproof

DT990 ~ bulletproof

Grado 325i ~ not a major dilemma but the metal cup can come away from the headband rod which can be fixed
with a spot of super glue. Every owner sooner or later experiences this.

D2000 ~ not so bulletproof, many owners experience the 'loose screw' that attaches to the headband, if dislodged
the headphones fall apart, all from this one screw. I recommend Loc-tite if you buy these.

HD650 ~ Occasional head band failure if you stretch the polymer headband too much, it fails in the middle of
the headband, very common with cheaper Sennheisers but it can happen with this number #2 flagship too.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 24
If you don't need portability, $400 is getting into vintage Stax Lambda price territory, depending on what's on the used market at the moment.

Just keep in mind that electrostatics like that require specialized amplifiers, or at least a transformer box fed via speaker amp.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
The Beyers looks awesome right now. How is their overall SQ compared to the Shure SRH840? Is it like night and day?

Are you also looking for a good all-arounder? I find the denons to be good at multiple genres.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 24
What price are you talking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back