Full-Sized Closed Headphones
May 22, 2006 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Meugenio

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow headfier's

I am relatively new to the "audiophile"/"headfi" game, with my first pair of expensive headphones being Bose Triports. They were horrible as they broke within weeks, and obliterated within months. From here I decided to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s as I found them ridiculously on sale. The sad thing is, they were stolen a couple weeks after purchase, and were not even able to burn-in. My next step was going to be buying a portable amp, but now I need a good pair of headphones.

I enjoyed the sound of the 250-80s, however I was wondering if there were other closed headphones that i can enjoy for under 300 dollars. I would also want to know if they are better with an amp. I would want them to be circumarural, I am pretty sure that means around my ears, but if there are other types with superior soundquality, then I am game. I also am aware that open headphones have better sound quality, however my faimly hates the music I listin to, and I do not want to face the bombardment. The cans would need to be somewhat portable, and I would use an Ipod as my source. I mostly listin to indie rock, hip hop, electronic, jazz, and folk. I do however try to spread my music pallete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 22, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 37
Thank you, I allready know the bose triports were inferrior, I did not even pick them, they were a gift, and I feel that that thread is somewhat primative and too basic, I did enjoy however the Closed Headphones thread.

May 22, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 37
Also what constitutes a "nice amp" that I can fit in a satchel?

That is if i bought the 250 -80s again, its just soo hard to find myself buying the same headphone over again.

May 22, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 37
I have a pair or Beyer DT831's that I use with a Total Airhead and it sound fantastic. The knock on the DT831's has always been that they are bright and lack bass. However, the TA is a bassy amp and seems the perfect match for these headphones.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 37
Best closed headphones under $300 are AKG K271S. Period.
They are finiky to drive and require amp to show up the full potential, and also benefit from recabling (Zu Mobius)
Don't trust to whoever say they cannot bass. That's slander.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Best closed headphones under $300 are AKG K271S. Period.
They are finiky to drive and require amp to show up the full potential, and also benefit from recabling (Zu Mobius)
Don't trust to whoever say they cannot bass. That's slander.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 271s is great, but I think, for OP's genres, DT250 is at least an equal.

As for an amp, the Headroom Total Airhead or Total Bithead should do the trick.

May 23, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 37
Perhaps because DT831 were designed for older amps/receivers with output impedance of 120 Ohm. You might need 120 Ohm inline resistor to make them sound as intended.
Check saint.panda excellent review that covers such and other aspects. It's in one of the posted links.

Quote:

why did the beyer dt831's get such a bad review from head room (they are the reason i bought the 250-80s)?

May 23, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
The 271s is great, but I think, for OP's genres, DT250 is at least an equal.

As for an amp, the Headroom Total Airhead or Total Bithead should do the trick.

Used to have 250-80 for a while, liked them but found them a bit too polite to my taste. Might actually help with harsh sounding MP3. 250-250 supposed to be better, never heard one, but considering that both share same sound signature, never bothered to try.

K271S sound terrific out of both my Gilmores, extreme level of details and yet manage remain musical.

I highly recommend GLite v2, do some huntig in for sale section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back